Anyone Have Or Has Had A Ragamuffin Kitten?

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new Ragamuffin kitten (almost 6 months old). I wanted one because of their advertised laid-back and affectionate personality. And their beauty, of course. Stevie is beautiful, sweet and a complete hooligan. He bounces off the walls (literally). I love him but want to strangle him at least once a day. My Siamese would also like him to disappear. She and I are being very patient, but wonder when he will start to settle down. Anyone else had experience with this breed? FYI, this is not my first kitten so I know what a pain kittens can be, but Stevie is a kitten in overdrive. Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a Ragamuffin, but I can tell you that kitten overdrive isn't that unusual. And every cat is different. My advice is...Patience. As I have said before, "This, too, shall pass, although maybe not before you have gray hair and a slight twitch in your left eye."

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hmmm, I'm not positive, and although every cat is different, but I was thinking that your sweetie has a wee bit more of the domestic longhaired bouncy goofball genetics than the rag, and super smart to boot.

Can you keep him entertained with platter style toys, wand toys, real fur mice, if you have hardwood floors try one or two Hexbug robot toys (they don't work well on carpet) and are so fun even my Big Guy was interested --til he decided he was above such nonsense LOL. These are on the smaller side of things - you may need to consider blocking off the underside of the frig, couch et al.

8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Choosing The Right Cat Toy For Your Kitten
Product Review: Cat Toys By Jw Pet
Bored Cat? What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
Top Selling Cat Toys

Hang in there!!
Oh Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and I were typing at the same time ;) Oh by the way, do you have a zoom groom brush?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My avatar is now Stevie. This boy has more toys than he can play with. His favorite is the packing paper from the Amazon box his expensive food came in. As far as smart, he has figured out how to open the heavy swinging door to the dining room (his temporary safe room) even with a heavy tool tote placed against it. I'm hoping that the new cat tree I ordered will give him some energy release. Fingers crossed. The zoom groom looks like something my Siamese would love, but then again she loves the Furminator. Stevie would just try to catch it. Fortunately, his fur is so silky I can finger comb it. He does make a great dust mop! :D

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is adorable

I never had a ragamuffin cat but I do have a hyper one I called "you little terrorist" or my "wee terrorist of doom" until he was about 8 years old and got downgraded to "punk"

What kept me from shaving him? (And I did think about a reverse Mohawk .... maybe a cold bath or two!) His hunting birds in the backyard with supervision. Can you give him a bird watching window? Maybe with a secure sturdy screen so you can leave the window open? If you can feeding birds from a tree in view of his window perch should help. I'm assuming he is neutered, mine was... I still wanted to shave him My punk taught me that you have to wear them out mentally and physically.

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eight years!!!!! Oh, my.
He's getting a new cat tree which will be positioned near a window. He will be neutered next month. I let him stay out (of his safe room) last night and all was fine until midnight. I was pounced on 3 times before I gave up and put him to bed. Shortly after 5 a.m. a small soft nose was sniffing my face. He's learned to push open the swinging door despite the heavy tool box put there to defeat him. Can't wait until he weighs 20 pounds (typical weight for male Ragamuffins, his neutered uncle weighs 24). He could give me CPR by pouncing on my chest. As I told my best friend, he is lucky he's so cute.

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try a hexbug, I'd love to hear what you, Stevie and your meezer think :wavey:
I don't know about that. This guy eats anything including plastic. For real, he ate a plastic ring from around a juice bottle top. I can just see him demolishing the toy and then eating it!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I 'm pretty sure one of my cats might be a ragamuffin, or at least a mix, she came from the shelter so I don't know for sure but she looks and acts like the description of one. She was crazy as a 5 month old when I got her, we actually had to get a second kitten (a Maine Coon) to help tire her out, and that did make a huge difference. I honestly can't remember when she started to mellow out, but I think it was around a year or two old. She turned 12 in January and is pretty lazy for the most part now, but still loves to play! I think at this point she would be content to just curl up in your lap and cuddle all day long (she is actually pestering me for attention right now, lol).

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have actually thought about getting another kitten. He wants to play with my old girl Siamese so bad. She wants nothing to do with it. Lucky for him she's not aggressive at all (except about food!).

Laura.esg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a ragamuffin but I have a ragdoll, which are similar breeds, his name is Wombat, he is is just turning one year old today, he is very similar to your cat, that amount of energy will pass in a couple of months, for me, he started to calm down like around the 7th month, but still my cat is a very curious animal, and every day me and my husband spend sometime playing with him. His favorite game is me trowing a ball to him, and then he chase it and bring it back to me, and we repeat the same cicle over and over again. You have a cat that is very social, so he will always wants to be with you.

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very, very curious for sure. What's in that cupboard, closet, drawer? What are you doing sitting on the porcelain thing in the little room? Where did you hide that roll of paper that is so fun to unroll? What are you eating? Etc., etc.

Stevie's Person

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just today, I re-read a few of the online descriptions of the Ragamuffin personality (extreme sweetness, wonderful with other pets, want to please, calm and patient, go limp in your arms) and I think I may have gotten a dud. Physically, my guy is a perfect Ragamuffin. Absolutely beautiful. And at eight months old he's huge. I know that the Ragamuffins are Ragdolls mixed with other breeds. Well somewhere in the that mix is a big batch of ornery. And no it's not because he is still a kitten. This guy can be just plain willful, defiant and a little mean. I am not saying I don't love him. He's not always a jerk. There's times when he just melts my heart. I am saying he does not have the advertised Ragamuffin personality. Cats are individuals and you should not believe everything you read on the internet especially when forking over big bucks on a kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is so very true! And, to an extent, ALL kittens are "jerks," just as all small children (or most of them) are jerks. You may yet end up with a mellow guy who melts in your arms...give him a year or two. It can take that long before you know. Meanwhile, batten the hatches and don your lifevest.