Anyone Have Info On Dairy As A Laxative?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I have a chronically constipated cat who eats 99% raw (outside of a few treats here and there.) She seemed extra uncomfortable today, so I tried giving her a 1/2 tbsp of half and half for the first time. She gulped it down and went #2 a few hours later (stool was harder than ever! Almost completely dry. Sorry TMI)

In the past I've tried pumpkin and a TCM concoction that I'm sure would work if she would take it.

Just looking for any info on dairy as a natural laxative for cats.

Thank you!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use miralax for 2 out of 3 of my cats. Works pretty well and it's tasteless so I just sneak it into their wet food with extra water. You can do that with raw too. Start off with 1/8th tsp twice a day.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw egg yolk is a natural laxative. For an immediately constipated cat, 1 tsp should get things moving naturally within 12-24 hours. For regular use, start with 1/8 tsp twice a day. I haven’t been able to get Krista up to 1/4 tsp 2x daily without her stools getting too mushy but that’s supposedly the maintenance dose to prevent hairballs. Because 1/8 and 1/4 tsp are really small amounts compared to the whole yolk, I recommend buying or making your own egg yolk powder and using the powder instead.
Make Homemade Dried Egg Yolk Powder

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix the Miralax into an egg yolk too. It sound like your cat needs more water. I got a fountain and that encourages them, they are fascinated by the movement. I also set several bowls of water around the house,they become curious and check it out, often drinking.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet recommended the Miralax for my IBD cat that was prone to constipation. Using milk for a constipated cat was an old trick recommended by many including vets a number of years ago, it isn't something I would do. It works for many cats because it is common for cats to be lactose intolerant, it would also make them feel bad the same way that people who are lactose intolerant feel when they consume dairy.

I know very little about raw food but I have read that bone can cause issues in cats prone to constipation. Maybe you could look into switching to eggshell.

Last edited:

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mix the Miralax into an egg yolk too. It sound like your cat needs more water. I got a fountain and that encourages them, they are fascinated by the movement. I also set several bowls of water around the house,they become curious and check it out, often drinking.
How much miralax:egg yolk do you use for constipation?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use miralax as well - works wonders! Keep in mind it can take 3 days to get into their system properly so does small to start and move up as needed.

I was told to avoid milk due to the lactose intolerance, but it can cause pancreatitis in kitties.

XOXOXOXOX

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use miralax as well - works wonders! Keep in mind it can take 3 days to get into their system properly so does small to start and move up as needed.

I was told to avoid milk due to the lactose intolerance, but it can cause pancreatitis in kitties.

XOXOXOXOX
Miralax can cause pancreatitis?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

XOXOXOXOX
I gave her 1/4 tsp

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's the dairy that can cause problems. I, too, used 1/4 teaspoon and mixed it in an egg yolk. It worked within two hours for my boy, he then went a huge amount.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though it was the milk I was referencing. I'm not going to say no to this - a long term use of any drug can be an issue.

There are some reports and claims that MiraLAX has caused problems with long term use - but there are other reports that say no.

Milk does over long term.

This is something you need to know, if you don't already, like Lactulose, Miralax works by pulling water into the intestines / digestive tract. You'll need to make sure kitty gets more water so they don't get dehydrated.

I gave her 1/4 tsp
That's a nice dose to start with.

With Mia , she had a blockage and anal gland issues.

I started her there. I ended up giving it too her twice a day 1/4 and then after a few months I was able to reduce. Now she only needs it every now and then.

No, it's the dairy that can cause problems.
*nods*

Last edited:

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Molly is prone to constipation, and I use Miralax (as needed), but I've noticed that in adding water to her wet food, she's doing better. She only gets wet, and whether it's pate or gravy, she seems to actually like it more with the added water (just a tsp or 2).

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding commercial or homemade raw? Either way, check the bone content. Denise is right - too much bone can cause constipation. And a lot of commercial raw is bone heavy because it's cheaper than meat.

Stool of cats fed too much bone will be very dry, hard, and chalky gray/white. Stool of cats fed a raw diet with good proportion of bone will still be dry, but will easily be crushed into powder with your fingers. It will be brown and mostly composed of fur ingested during grooming.

Most cats tolerate 7-10% bone content, but some do better with the lower end of the range. I personally feed 7%, but I make homemade raw so I can control the ingredients and alter the formula as needed.