Anyone have good luck with Feliaway?

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am taking in two of my friend's 12 yr old cats because she can no longer keep them due to her husband health. I have two cats... one 18 yr old and a 4 yr old. I know the 4 yr old liekly won't be a problem... she's very friendly... but I worry about how my 18 yr old will react. Has anyone used those Feliway Calming Defusers during the intro and do they actually work??? Please advised. Thanks. Barb

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for giving these kitties a home. I've always had good results with Feliway. Regardless, though, I'd advise you keep the cats separate at first and do a slow, gradual introduction.

Here are some TCS articles you may find useful:
Thanks for responding! I should have mentioned that they will be in the rooms at the opposite end of the house and eventually let them sniff with a door between them for a while too. I was in a hurry this morning when I posted so didn't give enough details. I wanted to order a Feliway asap but there are so many different ones on Amazon.com that I'm confused. Did you use the basic one???

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am going through an introduction right now.
I got Feliway Friends and it appears to be helping. In 5 days the new cat (the grumpy One) went from growling upon seeing my two kitties to few, soft hisses.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Feliway Friends and it appears to be helping. In 5 days the new cat (the grumpy One) went from growling upon seeing my two kitties to few, soft hisses.
Okay, thanks for the tip. There are so many different Feliway products that it is confusing too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I used Optimum and it might have worked. It was one of those situations where I did not know if the cat was calming down due to circumstances or if the product was helping. However, I would recommend giving them a try.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used Optimum and it might have worked. It was one of those situations where I did not know if the cat was calming down due to circumstances or if the product was helping. However, I would recommend giving them a try.
Okay thanks... guess I'll just get one and hope for the best.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had better luck with the Feliway collars. The diffusers work in the room where they are used, but the collars stay with the cat.

tiggerwillow

Meowmy to Tigger and (Queen) Willow
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a plug in feliway, but it got very hot (and when I say very I mean "almost cannot touch it" type of too hot, so I unplugged it and never used it again to avoid it turning into a fire hazard, I hope you can find something that works, just be careful of the plugin ones, never leave them plugged in for long periods of time, my experience was leaving it plugged in for several hours makes it get extremely hot :catrub:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the plugins can melt! I had it happen and had to replace the outlet in the wall.

Thwy also leave a slick on the wall and anything near them.

They have a can that is safer.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used Optimum and it made a big difference. When i was using the regular it worked well also. I did not find Feliway Friends helpful at all.

I think its best to start with one of one formula and see if it works for your cats. If it does, then buy thr multipack.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had better luck with the Feliway collars. The diffusers work in the room where they are used, but the collars stay with the cat.
Okay, thanks. Didn't know about the collars.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks. Wish me luck!

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes the plugins can melt! I had it happen and had to replace the outlet in the wall.

Thwy also leave a slick on the wall and anything near them.

They have a can that is safer.
I also heard that they get hot and can even start a fire!!! Some said that the holder needs to be replace every 6 month... not just the container. I'm nervous about getting them now.

What did you mean about a "can"???

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used Optimum and it made a big difference. When i was using the regular it worked well also. I did not find Feliway Friends helpful at all.

I think its best to start with one of one formula and see if it works for your cats. If it does, then buy thr multipack.
Thanks for your comments.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I also heard that they get hot and can even start a fire!!! Some said that the holder needs to be replace every 6 month... not just the container. I'm nervous about getting them now.

A spray can like the kind hair spray comes in.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Its because the oil builds up on the plug. I actually got a Relaxivet plug instead and the feliway diffusers fit in those perfectly.

My vet's office has a feliway diffuser in every outlet with no issues of fire. They have two locations.

Internet reviews will always skew negative, and of course you should keep an eye on any diffuser. Dont leave it plugged in when youre away.
There can be issues with homes electricity or defects with some plugs.

tiggerwillow

Meowmy to Tigger and (Queen) Willow
Super Cat
Purraise
Its because the oil builds up on the plug. I actually got a Relaxivet plug instead and the feliway diffusers fit in those perfectly.

My vet's office has a feliway diffuser in every outlet with no issues of fire. They have two locations.

Internet reviews will always skew negative, and of course you should keep an eye on any diffuser. Dont leave it plugged in when youre away.
The one I had I was honestly afraid of how hot it got

Which is why I unplugged it and never put it back into any socket

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Good point! So many negative reviews... some saying that Feliway made them sick or their pets sick. I'd have to plug it in where I'll see it when I leave the house.