Anyone have experience with Tiki Cat?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve decided to stop buying Tiki. I only fed the chicken varieties, but they’ve added mendione.
Nature’s Variety Instinct has nothing toxic and they do love the rabbit. I’ll just add venison, chicken, & lamb to their rotation. Shame about Tiki. It looks so good coming out of the can. I was always confident and my cats love it. I will miss it, but I can’t knowingly feed them poison.
Tiki Cat Manana Grill Ahi Tuna with Prawns was found to have excessively-high level of arsenic which exceeds the safety allowance standard in Taiwan.

Here is the link to the news from Taiwan government (however it’s only available in Chinese) : 臺中市動物保護防疫處-業務公告-黃金巴頓寵支貿易有限公司違反動物保護法規定,裁處新臺幣5萬元罰鍰。

I hope this helps

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken and Duck with Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein dry food, this is a very low carbohydrate diet for both my kitties. They love both foods equally, so I have no problems there. I DO have a problem with the black specks in the food that Tiki Cat claims is a chelation reaction of some sort. I magnified a pic of some of these specks today and I promise they look like part of a bug! I am concerned! I will include the photos, I hope they post.

Attachments

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is gross but it is normal for bugs to be found in food, even human food. They allow so many traces of in. This especially true for candy bars and canned coffee in the US. The less processed the food is, the more likely you are to find actual bits of the bugs in the food.

I got a few cans of Tiki on a whim for my cat (the chicken one and the chicken and egg one) and they seem to be fine but it is not a brand I will stick with as he prefers pate. Either way, I think it is great that so many cat owners are this concerned with what they are feeding their cats. I think it is important to find a food they can enjoy that won't lead to health trouble down the road.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from the photo what those things are but that food does have pieces of heart, liver, and gizzard that can look a little odd. (I use freeze-dried chicken liver in our homemade food and have learned that it's strange stuff.)

I don't mean to sound flippant -- finding bugs in a can of food would be really gross -- but our cats love to eat bugs so bugs in the food would be less of a concern to me than, say, an errant piece of potato, which I know doesn't agree with one of our cats.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty loves the velvet mouse and some of the fish flavors in the grill and aloha friends line.