Anyone have experience with Tiki Cat?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are too many things to avoid with cat food. I've given up finding things that are perfect and focused on getting a variety of things that my cats eat and that I can afford.
Same here. I think the variety element is key: it dilutes the risk of any ingredient that could/might cause problems if fed more regularly. I'll feed an occasional can of food with something like menadione and try to make sure that not all our canned foods have gums but, really, if I a total maximalist about ingredients and cut out absolutely everything I don't approve of, I wouldn't be left with nearly enough variety to keep our cats happy.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Tiki can foods are usually ALL gravy with a few thin strips of chicken.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw this new Nulo brand at the pet shop today. It's basically the same as all the other commercial brands. All competing saying, "Grain Free" like if that's showing that's all a cat food needs to not have.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just saw this new Nulo brand at the pet shop today. It's basically the same as all the other commercial brands. All competing saying, "Grain Free" like if that's showing that's all a cat food needs to not have.
Did you read the ingredients?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with Nulo?
No experience with it. But the ingredients look fine. My only worry with it would be that many of the flavors are fish ones and I like to avoid so much fish. I also think it seems expensive for what it is. There may be other brands that are better at the same price point.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After all these years, why can't people get it right when it comes to cat food???

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You do know that Tiki started adding Mendione Bisulfate in their food? Toxic ingredient banned in Europe and for use with children in the US. They try to hide it by calling it Vitamin K supplement but any synthetic Vit K is in fact MBS. I even wrote them asking them why this very expensive, so-called premium brand has suddenly starting adding a toxic ingredient - I figured they sold out to another company - their answer is that AAFCO required it. No. Actually AAFCO is a group of morons that probably get kickbacks from the food processors but the truth is - if their food was indeed "premium" and contained enough high quality meat - vitamin K would already be plentiful and not needed as an additive. And there are other sources. Plus they have started adding more and more liquid so the caloric intake the cat receives from actual solid foods in a small can means they need to eat at least twice as many to get the appropriate caloric intake for the day. And be very careful of any food processed in Thailand that includes beef - they use LUNG - beef lung - which is allowed in Thailand but banned by the US because it can't be properly cleaned of fluids that fill it from the deceased animal.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is much on the web about Mendione, but very little evidence that it is harmful in the amounts used in Pet foods. In larger doses that you would never find in pet food, yes it may well be. But many natural vitamin and minerals would also be toxic at those large doses. The AAFCO does require it in cat food that contains 25% fish in the foods on a dmb, I'm not sure why tiki puts it in the chicken flavors. Weruva did remove it from their foods that do not contain enough fish to require it by law, i think due to consumer complaints. The AAFCO will not allow other vitamin K supplements in pet foods, as Mendione is more stable with processing. If enough people write in to Tiki they may take it out of non fish flavor foods as well. I think, yes pet food companies are making food to make money, but they do listen to consumers if enough people write in with reasonable requests. I dont think they want to harm pets.

There is some vitamin k in meats, but the primary source is in green leafy vegetables, which also contain a lot of oxalates, which we definitely do not want in our Cat foods.

I feed some foods such as tiki that contain Mendione, and i feed others that do not. I think just like with our foods too much of one thing is not good on a daily basis, thus my rotation of different brands. I think Tiki is a good, as safe food, it will stay in my rotation. I do appreciate that they are one of the few foods i can feed without thickeners, like gums that are in so many foods. I like a break from those.

I personally use Tiki for all of the liquid, i have a male cat that will not drink a lot of water, he loves the broth in Tiki after dark foods, it is the best way i have of making sure he gets the liquids he needs. I supplement with another can of food, or a bit of dry to get the calorie count up.

I feed several foods that contain beef lung to my mothers dog. one of her favorite treats is Redbarn choppers Beef Lung, it is made in the US. I think any lung is only banned for human foods. Many people around the world still eat Lung, in the US they cannot have their haggis :(

There are ingredients in almost all foods i feed that i wish were not in there. So i try to feed a wide variety of foods, i do look up the ingredients and compare. I try to make sure the same ingredients are not in ALL the foods, so my cats are not taking in the same ingredients at each meal, or daily. So far this works for my guys, and i try not to stress so much about the food, or one could go nuts with everything negative written out there. :runaround:

Last edited:

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiki is another one I used to feed until I realized they still charge $2 a can - but ADDED toxic poison mendione bisulfate. Why in the hell would a cat food manufacture start adding poison into their foods? Fancy Feast and Purina have always had it - but they seem to be trying to remove and replace it with their newer Beyond line of food products. Tiki never had it and now we all know how toxic it is - yet they added. Did they think we'd just rely on the name brand and never check? They try to hide it by only saying they have added "VITAMIN K SUPPLEMENT" - but any synthetic form of vitamin K is mendione. Shame on Tiki.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is much on the web about Mendione, but very little evidence that it is harmful in the amounts used in Pet foods. In larger doses that you would never find in pet food, yes it may well be. But many natural vitamin and minerals would also be toxic at those large doses. The AAFCO does require it in cat food that contains 25% fish in the foods on a dmb, I'm not sure why tiki puts it in the chicken flavors. Weruva did remove it from their foods that do not contain enough fish to require it by law, i think due to consumer complaints. The AAFCO will not allow other vitamin K supplements in pet foods, as Mendione is more stable with processing. If enough people write in to Tiki they may take it out of non fish flavor foods as well. I think, yes pet food companies are making food to make money, but they do listen to consumers if enough people write in with reasonable requests. I dont think they want to harm pets.

There is some vitamin k in meats, but the primary source is in green leafy vegetables, which also contain a lot of oxalates, which we definitely do not want in our Cat foods.

I feed some foods such as tiki that contain Mendione, and i feed others that do not. I think just like with our foods too much of one thing is not good on a daily basis, thus my rotation of different brands. I think Tiki is a good, as safe food, it will stay in my rotation. I do appreciate that they are one of the few foods i can feed without thickeners, like gums that are in so many foods. I like a break from those.

I personally use Tiki for all of the liquid, i have a male cat that will not drink a lot of water, he loves the broth in Tiki after dark foods, it is the best way i have of making sure he gets the liquids he needs. I supplement with another can of food, or a bit of dry to get the calorie count up.

I feed several foods that contain beef lung to my mothers dog. one of her favorite treats is Redbarn choppers Beef Lung, it is made in the US. I think any lung is only banned for human foods. Many people around the world still eat Lung, in the US they cannot have their haggis :(

There are ingredients in almost all foods i feed that i wish were not in there. So i try to feed a wide variety of foods, i do look up the ingredients and compare. I try to make sure the same ingredients are not in ALL the foods, so my cats are not taking in the same ingredients at each meal, or daily. So far this works for my guys, and i try not to stress so much about the food, or one could go nuts with everything negative written out there. :runaround:
I am totally FREAKING OUT over the added mendione in Tiki. My 4 cats eat Tiki chicken and Instinct rabbit cans. I thorougly researched canned food before I chose these brands. I called Tiki and asked them what they are doing about this and they were very non-committal about remedying my concerns. Does anyone know of a canned food that does not contain guar gum, carrageenan and mendione? I’m having a hard time finding one. My cats are everything to me.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am totally FREAKING OUT over the added mendione in Tiki. My 4 cats eat Tiki chicken and Instinct rabbit cans. I thorougly researched canned food before I chose these brands. I called Tiki and asked them what they are doing about this and they were very non-committal about remedying my concerns. Does anyone know of a canned food that does not contain guar gum, carrageenan and mendione? I’m having a hard time finding one. My cats are everything to me.
A food without any of those ingredients is very hard to find, if you do please post it. Honestly i dont like guar gum, but i feed foods with it, i am not sure about mendione, but in the amounts used in cat food i dont worry about it too much, i honestly have not seen anything that convinces me its that bad. I dont feed foods with carrageenan, or Agar-agar, coconut oil, or olive oil, or spinach, the list can go on and on.

Rawz is the only food i can think of that my cats will occasionally eat with none of those 3 ingredients, but they are iffy on it. but honestly who knows about the Fenugreek Seeds and how good they really are for cats?

Almo nature has some foods that are supplemental feeding only, they only have meat and broth, nothing else. I guess if you had a good cat supplement you could add it to those foods and not have any of the ingredients we talk about? people who feed raw may know more about that?

This is why i do so much rotation, and also feed Dr. Elseys dry food. Every food has something that we are unsure of, or might not be what we want, at least in my opinion. With a rotation i can keep from feeding the same thing each meal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed three brands of foods without carrageenan, menadione, and guar gum: Rawz (chicken, turkey, beef), Feline Natural (chicken/lamb), and Koha (duck stew). There are also some canned food brands (including Bravo and Hound and Gatos) that have agar-agar, but that sounds like it's a lot like carrageenan, since it's also derived from seaweed. Warning: I have no looked into this carefully so may completely wrong!

I keep away from carrageenan and try to avoid menadione (other than maybe one small a week of something), though I feed more gums than I might prefer. patti511 patti511 , I'm not sure what you're able to do but we feed a lot of commercial raw food, plus one homemade cooked meal a day, largely because I want to avoid so many ingredients that I don't think cats should be eating. Good luck. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find a lot of good canned foods!

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am ordering 4 sample cans of Thank you so much! I will investigate! There’s HOPE!
ch
We feed three brands of foods without carrageenan, menadione, and guar gum: Rawz (chicken, turkey, beef), Feline Natural (chicken/lamb), and Koha (duck stew). There are also some canned food brands (including Bravo and Hound and Gatos) that have agar-agar, but that sounds like it's a lot like carrageenan, since it's also derived from seaweed. Warning: I have no looked into this carefully so may completely wrong!

I keep away from carrageenan and try to avoid menadione (other than maybe one small a week of something), though I feed more gums than I might prefer. patti511 patti511 , I'm not sure what you're able to do but we feed a lot of commercial raw food, plus one homemade cooked meal a day, largely because I want to avoid so many ingredients that I don't think cats should be eating. Good luck. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find a lot of good canned foods!
Thank you

I’m ordering 4 sample cans of Koha. What about the “agar-agar??”

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Koha has agar agar in it. Carrageenan :-(

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Koha has agar agar in it. Carrageenan :-(
The duck stew doesn't, though! I specifically picked that one because it doesn't. I hope they didn't change the recipe because our cats love that one.

Good luck with the other foods. I'm sure there are some others out there, too, though they are most definitely few and far between, particularly if you're also avoiding the other things I do, like potato, peas, grains, and other starchy stuff. :catrub:

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiki was perfect until they started adding mendione - vitamin K3 to their chicken formula. I am so bummed out by this change . I also feed Instinct to my cats - no guar gum, no carrageenan and no K3. I will feed only different varieties of Instinct now. I will not buy Tiki until they take out the K3.
I bought Evo cat food for my 1 year old cat, but he absolutely hates the pate formula - (( can you see why?

I was researching for days for a new cat food that didn't have any icky starches or toxic ingredients; and I finally settled down to getting Tiki Cat food. It has no starch, vegetables/fruits, guar gum (or any gum for that matter), or carrageenan! It's meant to simulate the prey that cats would eat in the "wild" - which was pretty much what I was looking for.

however, Tiki Cat is also made in a human-grade facility in Thailand, which is the only con I could find about this brand. If memory serves correct, the facility in which the cat food is produced in, also makes human food. I also heard that Thailand is more 'strict' regarding their food regulations and procedures. Tiki Cat also has no recalls for their cat or dog food lines. I'm aware that lots of common pet food brands are also made in Thailand; such as Racheal Ray pet food, Wellness, and Weruva.

i suppose i'm just nervous to give this brand to my cat simply because it's sourced in Thailand - despite it having 0 recalls, and being made with quality meats. Thailand just reminds me of the tragedy in 2007, with China's pet food issue causing the deaths of hundreds of dogs/cats. but Thailand isn't China.. and maybe i'm worrying over nothing.

anyways, has anyone had any issues with Tiki Cat food? i know my Olive would looooove it, since it's not pate, and all chicken in broth. it actually looks pretty appetizing for myself lol

here's their website if you wanna take a look;

Tiki Pets - Tiki Cat & Tiki Dog - Say Aloha to Real Food

here's the ingredients;

Shredded Chicken Breast, Chicken Consommé, Sunflower Seed Oil, Calcium lactate.

Contains less than 1% of the following: Tricalcium phosphate, Tuna Fish Oil, Choline chloride, Taurine, Zinc sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous sulfate, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A acetate, Thiamine mononitrate, Potassium iodide, Manganese sulfate, Copper sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Folic acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

6catsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

6catsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More info: the detected total arsenic content was 11.6ppm, which is higher than standard (10ppm). The product has been recalled and the vendor was punished.