Anyone have experience with Tiki Cat?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats devour Tiki (both chicken varieties) every morning. It's a very high quality food with no carageenan or guar gum. I totally trust  the company. 

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat is a very high quality food. I don't really get too nervous about the ingredients since there isn't filler or such in there, and when you see the consistency of the chicken (shredded chicken pieces) you'll see why it would be fairly hard to hide something. Not that it couldn't be done, but the quality of the food is very good. It's processed in a human food plant, another reason why it has less chance of being an issue. They have to keep up to those standards, not just a more lax pet food standard.

My cats get Tiki's Puka Puka chicken once a day. This chicken is a big favorite of my two cats, with no sign of that changing despite having been fed it daily for over a year. The calorie density of that is really fairly high even comparing among most canned foods. The fish varieties may be lower, and although the Weruva mentioned is similar in appearance, their chicken variety calorie density is notably lower. You would not need to feed an unusually high amount of the Tiki chicken to meet a cat's food intake needs.

I fret a bit over things that have nothing to do with food quality, such as the fact that it's shipped halfway around the world, or the stories I've read about slave labor in Thailand, most notably in the fishing and fish processing industries. Not sure if it slips into other food processing, certainly the plant itself is on the up and up but I occasionally wonder about suppliers and how well they are checked out for these practices. At the moment, though, I continue to feed it anyway. I have no reason to believe that Tiki Cat's owners aren't also as concerned about such practices and acting to make sure their food is not processed by such labor.

The biggest knock against Tiki is the cost! This is on the pricey end of cat food to be sure. I have justified it because at its calorie density I have figured out that it costs similar to some other cans that on the surface cost less. Because my cats are small, their morning meal of the Tiki chicken is only 1/3 of the 6oz (large) can each. The leftover is fed the next morning, and they enjoy it all the same even as leftovers (I warm it somewhat by immersing in warm water, but I think they would just as easily eat it cold out of the fridge!)

Right now the cheapest reliable place to get Tiki, at least the Puka Puka chicken, that I know of is PetFlow.com.
Chewy.Com has the tiki cat king cam seafood package for 11.99 . Great price!

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not all of my kitties will eat the Tiki Cat (or canned food), and I only offer Chicken and Duck because of the cautions issued regarding seafood flavored foods causing hyperthyroidism in cats. I have discovered a great "dry kibble" that all of my cats seem to love. It is Young Again Pet Foods, and I even had a diabetic cat eating it, and after a couple of months he was off of all insulin. It is very expensive, and even though a free feed, my cats only eat a small amount as they seem satisfied. It seems to even out to cost as much as feeding the high end foods, but is grain free, pure meatbased protein, low and no carb forumula, etc.... Small company in Minnesota that does not outsource, and have had no recalls that I can find. Great Quality Control. I just like that ALL my cats will eat this and I have not had any UTI's or Bowel Issues since I started feeding it.
Me too

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not all of my kitties will eat the Tiki Cat (or canned food), and I only offer Chicken and Duck because of the cautions issued regarding seafood flavored foods causing hyperthyroidism in cats. I have discovered a great "dry kibble" that all of my cats seem to love. It is Young Again Pet Foods, and I even had a diabetic cat eating it, and after a couple of months he was off of all insulin. It is very expensive, and even though a free feed, my cats only eat a small amount as they seem satisfied. It seems to even out to cost as much as feeding the high end foods, but is grain free, pure meatbased protein, low and no carb forumula, etc.... Small company in Minnesota that does not outsource, and have had no recalls that I can find. Great Quality Control. I just like that ALL my cats will eat this and I have not had any UTI's or Bowel Issues since I started feeding it.
Me too

cat r me

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was using exclusively because it WAS High Quality Food until they sold out last year to another company. I immediately began to notice the difference in ingredients. I wouldn't pay ten cents for a can of it now. I am using human grade frozen from Big Bear Petfood Company in Colorado. VERY HIGH QUALITY FOOD! After all, Good Health begins with Good Nutrition. I refuse to feed my guys junk!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using exclusively because it WAS High Quality Food until they sold out last year to another company. I immediately began to notice the difference in ingredients. I wouldn't pay ten cents for a can of it now. I am using human grade frozen from Big Bear Petfood Company in Colorado. VERY HIGH QUALITY FOOD! After all, Good Health begins with Good Nutrition. I refuse to feed my guys junk!
There really is a big difference, too: the recipes started getting different and the meat shreds got smaller/thinner even before they changed the labels. Our cats stopped eating it.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's junk food, especially compared to what else is out there. I think it's a good food, not excellent and pretty poor in calories but not bad.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's junk food, especially compared to what else is out there. I think it's a good food, not excellent and pretty poor in calories but not bad.
I agree that it's still decent food, despite their adding vitamin K, at least to some of their formulas. They could have gone further and added potato starch, tapioca, or pea protein, too! No matter what, though, our cats just don't like it now.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat really enjoys the after dark, especially the chicken and beef :)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats won't eat it. They love Weruva though and I trust it. Anyone blaming kidney failure on the food is probably wrong. There are so many other factors that can cause it. I do have friends who feed exclusively Tiki cat to their cats. My main concern with it is the large amount of fish in a lot of the recipes. I don't let my cats eat that much fish.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is low in calories which is great for my over weight cat.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiki is another one I used to feed until I realized they still charge $2 a can - but ADDED toxic poison mendione bisulfate. Why in the hell would a cat food manufacture start adding poison into their foods? Fancy Feast and Purina have always had it - but they seem to be trying to remove and replace it with their newer Beyond line of food products. Tiki never had it and now we all know how toxic it is - yet they added. Did they think we'd just rely on the name brand and never check? They try to hide it by only saying they have added "VITAMIN K SUPPLEMENT" - but any synthetic form of vitamin K is mendione. Shame on Tiki.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats won't eat it. They love Weruva though and I trust it. Anyone blaming kidney failure on the food is probably wrong. There are so many other factors that can cause it. I do have friends who feed exclusively Tiki cat to their cats. My main concern with it is the large amount of fish in a lot of the recipes. I don't let my cats eat that much fish.
Weruva contains DCP - which is on every list as a toxic ingredient to avoid - especially for older cats, cats on any kind of medication and males because it causes kidney stones.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva contains DCP - which is on every list as a toxic ingredient to avoid - especially for older cats, cats on any kind of medication and males because it causes kidney stones.
Dicalcium phosphate. I'm not convinced on the research with this one. Toxic is a word that gets thrown around a lot in the pet food industry, but when you actually look at a lot of the research a good chunk of it is done for marketing new types of foods. . . which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

There are too many things to avoid with cat food. I've given up finding things that are perfect and focused on getting a variety of things that my cats eat and that I can afford.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dicalcium phosphate. I'm not convinced on the research with this one. Toxic is a word that gets thrown around a lot in the pet food industry, but when you actually look at a lot of the research a good chunk of it is done for marketing new types of foods. . . which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

There are too many things to avoid with cat food. I've given up finding things that are perfect and focused on getting a variety of things that my cats eat and that I can afford.
I agree with this very much!

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using Nulo and Natural Balance I haven't noticed any toxic ingredients in either.