Anyone Have An Aero Garden?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that is so cool but how do you keep Abby away from it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cool :hyper: I've always wanted one of the smaller Aero Gardens. They have empty pod kits now that you can put seeds of your choice in, say cat nip and cat grass ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The light is pretty bright, but I'd count it as a nightlight. Is it in your kitchen, 'cause, you know, that's a good place for a night light.

What's it going to grow?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the light is supposed to mimic sunlight, which would certainly explain the brightness. You may want to try this: :cool2: Do the instructions say that you should keep the light on around the clock?

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that is so cool but how do you keep Abby away from it?
Abby has zero interest in it. She's extremely well-behaved and does not get on the kitchen counters. Keep in mind she's 15 now though.

The light is pretty bright, but I'd count it as a nightlight. Is it in your kitchen, 'cause, you know, that's a good place for a night light.
Oh this is WAY brighter than a nightlight. It lights up a good portion of the downstairs when it is dark.

What's it going to grow?
The pack my husband got for me was all herbs.

Do the instructions say that you should keep the light on around the clock?
For the herb pack it stays on for 17 hours. I have it set so the 7 off hours are at night.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We had one of those! As I recall, it worked pretty well. I can't remember why we stopped using it, though. You'll have to post pics of the progress of your herb plants. :camera:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have progress! It's going much slower than it says though.

IMG_9749.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Teeny plants :) Does the lamp provide some heat for the plants to grow?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Teeny plants :) Does the lamp provide some heat for the plants to grow?
It does feel warm if I put my hand under the lamp.

Is this good for people that can't keep plants alive because I recently got into plants and almost all of them are dead already... :ohwell:
I'll let you know. :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this good for people that can't keep plants alive because I recently got into plants and almost all of them are dead already... :ohwell:

Over watering is usually the culprit. Too much or too little sunlight and too cold or too hot temperature are others. What plants have you tried so far?

Succulents are popular since they're very low maintenance. There are other low maintenance plants here:

10 of the Easiest-to-Grow Plants of All Time
These Are the Best Houseplants to Grow in Your Kitchen
The Best Hard-To-Kill Houseplants For Black Thumbs
6 New Year's Resolutions to Turn Your Black Thumb Green

You'll have to double check to see if the plants are toxic or not to cats and the care requirements (light, water, humidity, etc).

Catnip and cat grass are two easy safe plants you can grow at home :)

Have the cats tried to eat the plants or mess with the AeroGarden AbbysMom AbbysMom ?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 - I bought Schlumbergeras and Echeverias. I was careful not to overwater. The Echeveria just started turning black. The Schlumbergeras all got fungus and have been rotting away at the roots for weeks now. The Dionaea is still going strong I think. I repotted it in a deep pot with the proper soil mixture and watered it with only distilled water. It has 2 5000K daylight bulbs on it from 10 am - 7 pm. I did a lot of research beforehand so maybe I'm just not good with plants or the conditions of where I live are not good for them. It's winter now so we get little to no sun at all.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think if I had one I'd go for herbs.. so nice to have fresh ones so handy.
It will be interesting to see how it goes AbbysMom AbbysMom

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Schlumbergeras all got fungus and have been rotting away at the roots for weeks now
If there are any healthy segments left, pinch them off and put them in a jar that has rocks in the bottom, with a bit of water in the rocks (not enough to reach the cuttings). They should start growing roots within a few weeks and you can replant those.

There's a little Watergarden fish tank at Costco that I'm going to buy if it goes on clearance (their seasonal products often go on clearance, and I don't wanna pay $60 for it). I'm not sure what plants I'll put in the top but it looks like fun!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an Echeverias. It too turned black:dunno: I think my bedroom is just too warm and sunny for it. All I have now is a Japanese Asplenium nidus fern, commonly called Crispy Wave fern. It's non-toxic to cats but I still keep it out of reach from the cats. And two air plants.