Anyone going to the TICA Annual?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone is going to the TICA Annual?
Lianna said she is coming and she will ask to bench with me.
It should be a fun show.
I heard the ribbons will be great and everyone gets one when they come in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
It is Sept 4th/5th and will have between 400-500 cats.
I do not expect any finals but it will be a fun show.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a show the week after with 400-500 cats, only 1 ring and 10 place awards so obviously not expecting anything at all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope both of you have fun and take home at least one final

I like the idea of handing every exhibitor a rosette when they come in. Then you get the little sticky cards to put on the ribbon when you final. Just one ribbon to take home instead of a bunch. Some of our clubs are starting to do that.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missymotus good luck to you at your show.
Martice We only get ribbons if we final at the CFA shows.
The TICA shows always give a big ribbon to everyone and you get the sticky plaques.
So many people did not like that you only got ribbons if you finaled at the regional.
Most people are used to getting the ribbon when you come in weather you final or not.
I asked the entry clerk and she said they wanted to do it like CFA which was fine with me.
She is going to be a TICA judge but shows in both CFA and TICA.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to go! I have almost everything ready. Hopefully, Luna and I will go to Petsmart tomorrow for more socialization practice.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

The TICA shows always give a big ribbon to everyone and you get the sticky plaques.
So many people did not like that you only got ribbons if you finaled at the regional.
Most people are used to getting the ribbon when you come in weather you final or not.
I'm not sure that I see the point in getting a rosette just for showing up. . . what did the exhibitor accomplish and prove in that situation? Sure, rosettes are nice, but they have to represent something! Otherwise its just ego-stroking. Cat shows are a competition. Not everyone is a winner in a competition. I feel that sort of mentality cheapens the accomplishments of the cats that do win.

This weekend, I took Espresso out as an open in championship to get her winners ribbons. She's now a champion just for having shown up unopposed. The breed awards meant far more to me than the title because in that circumstance something was actually accomplished. I don't want a prize just for having shown up at the show.

What I'm really coming to love are when shows give out (good quality) cat toys in lieu of a rosette. I mean, the cat is doing all of the work showing so what enjoyment are THEY getting out of a rosette? If the cat does the work, then the cat should enjoy the reward. When clubs give out nice quality teaser toys instead of rosettes, I feel that the cats are getting something out of the show experience that actually rewards the cat!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thing I do not like about CFA is Winners Ribbons are to easy to get.
You get them like you said just for showing up.
In TICA you have to final to become a Champion which I like better.
Also you have to have 6 finals by 4 different judges to Grand.
Wrinkles has the 4 finals by 4 different judges and just needs 2 more finals to Grand.
When I showed Cleo has a open she got her Winners Ribbons but she also made 2 finals.
It is to bad grand points do not count as a open.
She would be a Grand if they did.
I hate when breeder post and brag that their cats are CFA Champions just to sell cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see your point Ferris and you are right - you don't accomplish anything being handed a rosette, but on the other hand you have many first time exhibitors and its nice they get something to take home even if their cats didn't make a final.

To me it encourages them to return and maybe the next time their cat will win an actual award.

To me having one rosette to take home with cards attached to the rosette is a space saver on the wall and those that fly appreciate not having to take home a bunch of rosettes in their suitcases.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A person with too many rosettes can always leave their extras behind and donate them back to the club to recycle. They can also donate them to their own clubs to use for future shows.

As for new exhibitors, I think it is somewhat degrading to both them and to the hobby to think we need to give them a rosette to encourage them to return. If shows have to give them a rosette to return, they're probably not in it for the long haul in the first place. What about the people who have been breeding and exhibiting for years and had to earn their rosettes? Don't you think this mentality that every one is a winner degrades their hard work and success? I know how long it took for me to make a final with a cat of my own breeding, and that was a very proud moment for me because I know how long and hard I had to work to get there.

What about the ribbons hung in class--do they not have value? Sometimes getting best of color or breed is reward enough. Those ribbons do mean something, after all. I've shown with new people and getting a best of breed against the top competing cats in the world was a very big deal to them! A cat show offers so many other things--finals and rosettes are just one of the rewards.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It meant a lot to me when Cleo got best of breed against the number 1 cats in TICA and CFA.
I do not even take the purple ribbon in CFA when my cats get best of breed.
I let the club recycle them.
In TICA you are asked after every show if you want to recycle the rosettes.
You get plaques when your cats final that you stick on the rosettes.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I love the big rosettes. I love being able to hang them in my room. They look so much better than the little ones. Besides, you only get plaques to put on them for finals and those are really nice things to be able to show others. It is so much easier to bring a big rosette than a little one. Besides, the little ones have a cheaper look to me. The big ones look more professional.

As for when I started, the big ribbon was a very, very nice touch. It made me feel special because it was something personalized with my cats name on it. Totally the opposite of degrading.

There's nothing wrong with handing out rosettes to everyone that shows up. Besides, it's not like they don't give actual awards for finals. Also, it's nice to have something tangible (besides the catalog) to show everyone what you've been up to. Considering all the money I spend, I dang sure want something to show for it. Besides, there's nothing wrong with everyone feeling like a winner. That's the whole fun of it. Those that want something 'to show for their accomplishments' get to have the final plaques and the best of the best ribbons, not to mention the ranking points.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

What I'm really coming to love are when shows give out (good quality) cat toys in lieu of a rosette.

If the cat does the work, then the cat should enjoy the reward.
Unless they have a mean mum who puts their winning toys in a display case...like my cats

We don't even have rosettes at every show, let alone giving them to anyone who comes through the door. Sounds a bit silly to me.

Why does everyone need to feel like a winner? And how can they if they haven't actually won?
We have several children showing cats here, they fully understand that sometimes they win and sometimes they don't (and that not all shows have rosettes)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are just as bad as my husband.
My cats can not have the toys they win.
My husband puts them on display with the paper ribbons that they came with.
We get toys instead of rosettes at some of the CFA shows.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not talking about the little flat ribbons that are hung on the cages. Those should not be taken anyway (many clubs have permanant place awards). And those don't have as much meaning as a final award. Most cats can walk in a show hall as an Open and walk out as a Champion with little problems.

Sure its nice when your own breeding wins and you are proud of your work. I'm thinking more on the lines of first time exhibitors and bringing in their household pets - not purebreds.

To me by the time a person is showing purebreds they know the meaning of what awards are better, but the 1st timer HHP doesn't know it and I just feel a pretty rosette will encourage them more. They know not every cat will win but its still nice.

The average person knows about dog shows, but when you mention "I show my cats" they look at you strange half the time and want to know "so what do you really do at a cat show? or "what's the cat have to do? - runn around in the ring?"

So having a pretty rosette for being in a show at least gives them something to show to their friends/family.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be pretty put out if I had a 'Best' and all I had to show for it was a small stick-on plaque attached to the same rosette that everybody else received when they walked in the door. What's the point of making shows a competition if every cat is treated as the same the moment they arrive? Some cats on some days make every final and some days they don't get a thing. The nature of the game will always leave some feeling disappointed. Cat shows are not for everyone. You pay your entry fee, you bring the best you can, and you take your chances. The days you lose make the days you win all the more sweet because you then know what it takes to get there.

I think that resources are better placed in ambassador and mentorship programs instead of pandering to an assumed instant-gratification mentality.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's just agree to disagree.

IMO in today's economy ALL clubs need to do a bit more effort to bring in exhibitors, etc. All shows are down in count no matter what the association.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to admit that I liked the big rosette with the little stickers for finals. Possibly however, the big ribbon could be presented only if a cat finaled in at least one ring. Giving one to every exhibitor seems a bit much. The big rosette had the show information in a button in the middle and the final stickers make it easy to see how you did at a particular show.

Honestly, I don't really like the idea of an individual rosette for each final placing, as they just really add up and become almost worthless to me. I am not familiar enough with donating them back to understand who to give them to..

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Let's just agree to disagree.

IMO in today's economy ALL clubs need to do a bit more effort to bring in exhibitors, etc. All shows are down in count no matter what the association.
I guess that's what I'll have to do as well. All I know is that come the annual, I will be enjoying my big fat rosette and no one is going to take the joy out of it.

This thread was supposed to be for us people going to the annual and being able to look forward to it. All this stupid anti-rosette talk is spoiling the fun. Enough already.