Anyone find a super-tall (cat, not dog proof) doorway gate?

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our two cats is like a dog when it comes to food and our doorless kitchen- diving for food scraps or residual juices in the sink, and anxious to check out the stovetops even when they are hot. It's a chore putting away cooked food immediately while it is still warm, eg by storing it in the oven. Installing a true door doesnt look practical- but all the pet gates are too short for cats. Does anyone have a source for a super tall, catproof adjustable door gate? Thanks

Last edited:

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the past we have used multiple puppy gates stacked on top of each other.  They were essentially these gates- I think ours were taller, but they have square holes as opposed to just vertical bars that would keep a cat out more easily

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASPCA-Wooden-Pressure-Mount-Pet-Gate-Dogs/13012407

This was when living at my parents' house when we originally just wanted to keep the dogs out of an unused area of the house.  Alafair would jump over it, but we put up a second one to keep her out and she didn't challenge it.  It is really inconvenient to have to go in and out of an area like that because you'd have to move the gates, but it could be worth a try!  They're adjustable, and super tall if you have at least a couple. 

Last edited:

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two cheap screen doors that I've installed in two spots in my house. I bought them in Menards for like $15-20 (one was wider to fit a wider doorway). They're just wooden frames really, but work just fine to keep cats in/out of places.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a screen door installed in my bedroom doorway. Put it in years ago, when Jennie first came here. Kept it because it is so handy. I installed it in a way that the bedroom door can still be closed if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, white cat lover, duckdodgers, and otto- some good ideas.

kali ko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rover Company out of Arizona make a 48" high and 72" high Cat Gates, They are made from PVC tubular bars and the spacing between the bars is 3/4"

The website is http://www.roverpet.com

USA Made !

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the doorway works for it, a wooden screen door is the most cost effective solution.  It would have to be a proper width, though, or close to it (a door that was 1 or 2 inches too wide could probably be cut down).  You may need to seek out an independent lumber company and perhaps pay a little more than the cheapest door to find ones in different widths, but they should exist.  I did this years ago in an old apartment and paid about 40 bucks for a door.  Was off-season too, buying it in winter as I recall, heh.  You'll also have to be able to mount this to the wall and possibly be a little handy to work out a suitable hinge to use and mount it so it's sturdy.

I have a split entry house and a gate on the landing so that the cats don't go past the landing when we are not downstairs.  This doesn't work with a screen door obviously.  The gate I have is one of the now-common vertical bar types, and our cats are small, so yes they can get between them.  I fixed this originally by using poster board!  It's ugly but functional.  I may retrofit it to some kind of screen now.  I used to have poster board in the railing (between the two flights of stairs) and just recently changed it to fiberglass screening.  I'm not sure this light fabric screening will work on the gate though.

I was originally looking for a taller gate but it turns out the one I have which is I think only 36" tall was enough.  It was easy and supposed to be fairly temporary and I bought it at Target.  But when looking, the best option if you want a tension-mounted gate (i.e. not screwed into the wall) was probably the 42" high mesh unit they sell on Frontgate.com.  I'm not sure if I can post a link, couldn't the other day although a kind mod put it through for me, but I did a search just now and they do still sell it.  If you go to Frontgate and search pet gate it will come up in the results.  It's 100 bucks though.  A few really crazy cats might get over even 42" I guess but most shouldn't.

lynann22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try CarolWrightsGifts.com type 'screen door' in the search box. $15 No tools necessary, strong Velcro secures door to frame of doorway. It opens and closes like a real door. Site says that cats may or may not be able to get through. If a more secure clasp is added the door may be able to keep cat from getting out.

jill n augie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an escape artist for a cat.... right now I have a 34" Petsmart gate in his bedroom. I did my research and found out that "Most cats won’t jump up and over things in a single bound; they want a flat surface to land on first before jumping back down. They do this so they can clearly see what they’re going to land on. Since the cat gate doesn’t offer a "ledge" for them to jump up to, most cats will usually not jump over it."    I didn't understand how he could be jumping since his room is at the top of the stairs. I realized he had lost some weight and I saw him squeeze through the the bars!!! 

If you have an old house like me, the MESH screens DO NOT fit in the doorway, they are designed for newer homes. The mesh screen was UGLY....I tried even shaping and fixing it, because I was DESPERATE and CHEAP. I finally gave up after Max (my cat) still found some way to get out and explore. I found the Rover company gates....and YIKES! Who wants to spend 200$?? I also found a RETRACT A GATE.... still too expensive for me. I kept searching and found 42"H Tension-mount Dual Door Steel Mesh Pet Gate from FrontGate.... it was pretty to look at but still $99. 

I finally found the 44" MidWest Wood/Wire Mesh Pet Gate. At first I found it on the Walmart website, and I'm not a fan of Walmart but I did some additional research and found positive reviews on Chewy.com and Amazon. There is also a 44" Four Paws version but they seem to be the same thing... I just bought it and Ill write more here when it comes!!  

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a screen door installed in my bedroom doorway. Put it in years ago, when Jennie first came here. Kept it because it is so handy. I installed it in a way that the bedroom door can still be closed if needed.
Could you please post some photos?  The door, the hinges you used? And the latch?   I also need something!  This sounds like the solution for my situation. 

Do the cats scratch the screen?  Do you need to put a piece of wood along the bottom?

Thanks so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I.too, used a close out wood screen door I got for 20.00 at a building center. It was just too much trouble to get in and out of those gates. It comes with hinges, we just screwed them into the door jamb, later when it comes out, colored wood putty hides the holes. Make sure you get a latch(we used the hook and eye) that has a safety lock on it, you press it up to remove the hook from the eye. We had a aggressive cat hit the door to get at the newcomers and it popped open, that was a disaster! Not to mention traumatic and painful to the newcomers. Good luck!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[

Could you please post some photos?  The door, the hinges you used? And the latch?   I also need something!  This sounds like the solution for my situation. 

Do the cats scratch the screen?  Do you need to put a piece of wood along the bottom?

Thanks so much!
Can you view video? I can take pictures instead if you need but I just went ahead and did this bit of video to show what I did. It's so handy for if I have to have the plumber in or something. they are kept safe, and have their Safe Spots, but can still see what's going on if they want to.

Don't mid the mess or my clogged voice, I've been sick at home most of the week.:lol3:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS Just for fun: When Queen Eva first came and was still in "quarantine" She was tiny then, she can't do that now. :lol3: (though she does still spend a lot of time up there on the edge of the door, she gets there by more conventional methods, the stair-step book cases))

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

gordonlm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that our little 7# girl could slip between the bars, so I had to zip-tie screening to the purchased gate parts.  It was installed for months without either cat damaging the screen.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy Victorian style screen doors and I plan on putting one on our old laundry room which is not the cat/litter box room. That's the best solution if you need a permanent solution. You might even be able to find one at a ReStore ( habitat for humanity building supplies).  Creativity is your best bet.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you view video?

Yes I can.

Wow, thank you SO MUCH For the tour and explanation!  I didn't even think of those sort of hinges; was seeing the spring hinges which come with some of the doors, and hadn't thought beyond that.  Great info here, I really appreciate it! 

Seeing your Queen Eva up on the screen gave me a good laugh on this Saturday morning, great way to start my weekend. 

This is REALLY very helpful to me, thanks so much for taking the time.  I do appreciate it, very much.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can.

Wow, thank you SO MUCH For the tour and explanation!  I didn't even think of those sort of hinges; was seeing the spring hinges which come with some of the doors, and hadn't thought beyond that.  Great info here, I really appreciate it! 

Seeing your Queen Eva up on the screen gave me a good laugh on this Saturday morning, great way to start my weekend. 

This is REALLY very helpful to me, thanks so much for taking the time.  I do appreciate it, very much.
You're welcome. :) xx