Anyone Feeding Pork?

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen pork mentioned as a novel protein that sometimes sits well with IBD cats. I've seen some canned cat food varieties that are pork based. I fed Young Again dry food for a little while several years ago, which is hydrolyzed pork protein based. Haven't seen any commercial frozen or freeze dried that uses pork (although I'm not aware of all producers).

Mainly, I haven't come across any discussion of those who feed raw or home-made using pork as the protein source. And I'm not talking about ham or smoked meats here. Talking about raw cuts of pork like you would find in the supermarket. Really just curious if anyone uses it in their homemade recipes?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve tried pork which I ground myself but Iris the Picky won’t eat it. She expressed her opinion by projectile vomiting the small amount she ate and then refusing it from then on. The other two are fine with it but it’s too much trouble to feed one different protein to the prima donna. Primal has a frozen pork, but, again, Iris. She refuses all frozen commercial raw.

The EZ Complete website (the raw supplement folks) has an article about feeding pork:
Can Our Pets Eat Raw Pork?

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed the Chicken and Pork flavor of Tiki Cat After Dark and it's a big hit with His Majesty. Not sure how much pork is actually in it though.

He always begs for home cooked pork when I make it.

Last edited:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed raw and all my animals get pork on a regular basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried pork which I ground myself but Iris the Picky won’t eat it. She expressed her opinion by projectile vomiting the small amount she ate and then refusing it from then on. The other two are fine with it but it’s too much trouble to feed one different protein to the prima donna. Primal has a frozen pork, but, again, Iris. She refuses all frozen commercial raw.

The EZ Complete website (the raw supplement folks) has an article about feeding pork:
Can Our Pets Eat Raw Pork?
I've read that article. It prompted me to ask for personal experiences here.
I'm using Alnutrin and even though they don't have any data for pork on their website, I imagine it would be fine to use the Alnutrin with pork. They are good at answering questions so of course I would ask first. I went with Alnutrin first because it went ok with the sample and it was less expensive. But more so because the EZ Complete has chicken liver and I was worried about that causing a problem since my cat has a problem with chicken.

Now that you mentioned it, I remember that Primal has frozen pork. My cat hates the primal frozen turkey but that's all I've tried from Primal. He's ok with the Stella and Chewy's select turkey but not very fond of the Duck/Goose. I still have to mix in my homemade or the S&C in with canned. I don't think I'll ever get him to eat 100% homemade buy you never know.

Really just looking for a possible novel protein alternative in case I run into problems with Turkey or maybe to add some variety. My cat has IBD and chicken is a problem but so far turkey has been 100% fine. Maybe I'll try a little pork and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't feed or make any red meat based foods. Their natural prey animals have white meat (rats, mice, birds, rabbits) so that's what I stick to. I rotate evenly between rabbit, chicken and turkey.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats pork Primal (freeze-dried) plus quite a bit of homemade, cooked food made with pork. Sometimes the latter is just pork, sometimes it's a mixture of pork and chicken or turkey. They love pork. And I love pork, too, since it's often on sale, the cats will eat any cut, and pork always seems to come with more fat than chicken breasts, which the cats much prefer to chicken thighs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats pork Primal (freeze-dried) plus quite a bit of homemade, cooked food made with pork. Sometimes the latter is just pork, sometimes it's a mixture of pork and chicken or turkey. They love pork. And I love pork, too, since it's often on sale, the cats will eat any cut, and pork always seems to come with more fat than chicken breasts, which the cats much prefer to chicken thighs.
Thanks lisahe.

I'm curious as to whether you cook your cats food all the way through or just partially?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pork has always been a favorite of my cats. I've used it in home-made from when I first starting feeding raw some 10 years ago.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Pork has always been a favorite of my cats. I've used it in home-made from when I first starting feeding raw some 10 years ago.
I wish Iris would eat it. I might try it again but use EZ Complete with it. She does like EZC and I always have some on hand.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks lisahe.

I'm curious as to whether you cook your cats food all the way through or just partially?
Hmm, I just cook it. ;)

Sometimes it comes out more done than others and I don't worry about it either way.

Which is to say: I'm not very exact with either the time or temperature... I only cook about a pound at a time for Alnutrin and various smaller amounts for EZ. And I just use a toaster oven and spin the temperature setting knob to somewhere around 325-ish and then the timer to somewhere around 25 minutes-ish. But I'm not very exact so everything I cook comes out a little differently, depending on the size of the piece(s) of meat and whatever combination I arrive at with the knobs.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats will eat raw pork but don't seem to fancy it as their favorite. They like duck and rabbit, you know, the expensive stuff :flail: In a pinch, it's a fine meal for them but usually it's reserved for dogs, and bacon is reserved for me :yummy:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy pork tenderloin and grind it myself to use with EZ Complete and it's Gizmo's favorite when he gets a raw meal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Europe, pork in a raw form, and especially pork organs, was no go because of the fear of Aujeszky's disease.. noone mentions it here so I'm assuming this is not a potential issue in the US?
Pseudorabies - Wikipedia
Yikes, I'd never heard of that one! Based on a USDA page, it's been eradicated from US commercial swine. (It can apparently be in feral pigs, though.)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grind my own pork and use Alnutrin with it. I freeze it for at least 2 weeks before I use it because parasites used to be an issue in pork. Freezing it first gives me peace of mind.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Sylvie gets mostly canned food, but she loves Primal freeze-dried pork nuggets. I just reordered the large bag and will be rotating it back into her diet as her daily dinner (at dinnertime I'm awake enough not to mind mashing up the nuggets and rehydrating them).