anyone familar with

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
costochondritis? I know Ping said that she has had some experience with it, as well as Linda.Are there any others out there that have had it?
I am on Tylenol 3's for pain,which does VERY little to help it
.I called my Dr a bit ago and he wants me back in for a re-evaluation tomm. I hope he wants some blood work and some x-rays.And gives me BETTER pain meds.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they figure something out. It's not fun living in pain. I see it in mom's face everyday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pain weren't so intense, I could and would be able to handle it.
Thanks for the
and

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish i could be more help to you, but i have never even heard of that condition before.
I hope you find the advice/help you need soon though Tammy
Feel better sweetie!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Nikki!!!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing you could try is massage and soft tissue release; obviously it won't take the inflammation down but it might make movement easier. I have come across people with this condition who have had very tight pec muscles and very stiff thoracic spines. By releasing these, their symptoms have reduced dramatically.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insist that they do a Vitamin D level blood test. Xrays won't show anything, nor will a bone scan.

So far as pain meds go ... nothing much really touches that pain. The best bet is an anti-inflammatory.

I was taking 2 tylenol #3 and 600 mg of Ibuprophen twice a day for the pain. It dulled it a bit, but never took it away. Unfortunately it's one of those things that has to resolve itself.

I really do strongly suggest the Vitamin D level test. Once I started taking Vitamin D much of my pain issues were resolved. I still have the left side pain in my ribs more than 3 1/2 years after it started, but it's 1/10th the intensity that it was. I only really notice it when I take in a really deep breath or when I lay on my left side in bed for more than a few minutes... and when I put on a bra. Other than that it isn't affecting me anymore.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

One thing you could try is massage and soft tissue release; obviously it won't take the inflammation down but it might make movement easier. I have come across people with this condition who have had very tight pec muscles and very stiff thoracic spines. By releasing these, their symptoms have reduced dramatically.
Yes. That is very true. Back in the fall when I was in physio, the therapist was doing some of that on my left shoulder and pec muscle area. I did notice that it helped the pain in my rib area. Unfortunately I wasn't there for standard physio and was actually sent there for supervised exercise, so after 3 treatments of her working on my shoulder she stopped. But had it continued I think it would have continued to improve.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I´m so sorry I´m not familiar with that....

But I can to send you some vibes...
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the condition is that you're suffering with, but also being one who lives with constant pain I can sure relate to how you're feeling. I hope your docs can come up with something that helps!

&

~KK~

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby had it. We went to the emergency room TWICE in 2 weeks because he thought he was having a heart attack. I would see if you can add ibuprofen to the tylenol 3, because you definitely need an anti-inflammatory.
&

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had that over the summer. I thought it would go away, so I tried to ride it out for a few days, and then I went to the emergency room. I was popping about 3 Advils every 4 hours, which just made the pain bearable. I think I did that for 2-3 days. That weekend I learned that the warning on the bottle not to take more than 6 a day can totally be ignored withoutyour kidneys failing.

At the ER they did a bunch of tests and X-rays. I'm just glad I brought a book with me. They couldn't figure out what caused it, but at least it wasn't brought on by anything serious. Apparently, it can just happen for no reason. Also stress can cause it. But it can also be a symptom of something bigger.

They gave me something and the pain was gone a little bit later. It was great. Unfortunately, I can't remember what they gave me, but it was stronger than Tylenol 3.

Honestly, if the pain is that bad, you should go to the ER. I remember that for me it hurt to move and even to breathe. Anyway, they always say to go to the ER if you're having chest pain.

Tricia

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Insist that they do a Vitamin D level blood test. Xrays won't show anything, nor will a bone scan.

So far as pain meds go ... nothing much really touches that pain. The best bet is an anti-inflammatory.

I was taking 2 tylenol #3 and 600 mg of Ibuprophen twice a day for the pain. It dulled it a bit, but never took it away. Unfortunately it's one of those things that has to resolve itself.

I really do strongly suggest the Vitamin D level test. Once I started taking Vitamin D much of my pain issues were resolved. I still have the left side pain in my ribs more than 3 1/2 years after it started, but it's 1/10th the intensity that it was. I only really notice it when I take in a really deep breath or when I lay on my left side in bed for more than a few minutes... and when I put on a bra. Other than that it isn't affecting me anymore.
this could very well be part of my problem.As, I hate milk and don't drink enough of it.
Thanks for the vibes and well wishes everyone.
I am having stomach issues, and was also put on Nexium for acid reflux.So, that may be why he didn't also prescribe some kind of anti-inflamatory.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my mom suffers from osteochondritis too...the doc said that the problem starts after menopause when your body start loosing calcium...to ease the pain she uses diclofenac based drugs. mostly creams...