Anyone ever switched from raw back to canned?

thedude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies if the incorrect forum, but I want to reach raw feeders. I know it would not be ideal, but I'm just exploring my options due to some issues my cat has been having. I see there's some canned food out there that's 98% meat and 100% grain free (hound and gatos etc...). My Bengal has a very sensitive stomach. Just curious if anyone has ever tried this and had good results or if this would just make her stomach issues worse. I'm not committing to anything, but just curious if this has been done.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped giving my cats raw because they stopped eating it...lol! They have done well on canned, but have no dietary issues. What issues has your cat been having?

A good brand that a lot of people use is Rawz. There is a member on here whose cats has a lot going on tummy-wise and Rawz is one of the few commercial brands she can tolerate. If you send them an email on their website, they will send you free samples!

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Yes, I switched my cat Bilbo from raw to canned. He’d been eating dry food for years before that. 🙁
He’d had digestive issues and tooth loss. I’ve got him on Fancy Feast Classic paté, it doesn’t have grains, veggies, or fruits. Yes, it has meat by-products, but as Dr. Pierson points out on her website, it’s gotten a bad rap (I’m paraphrasing), and is better than grains, potatoes, veggies, or whatever plant fillers many cat foods use. His digestive issues, and stool quality, improved. It’s easy to find, and affordable, especially compared to some others, like Tiki Cat.
I’d check the percentages of the foods. I was surprised that some boasting about their meat content were sometimes up to 60% fat calorie-wise.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the Cat, and on the food. There are a lot of things that could possibly irritate a Cat's digestive system and there's no one answer. I had to switch mine away from a raw diet due to money issues and I've had good luck with Freshpet rolls and Dr. Elsey's canned.

One of my Cats has vomiting and diarrhea if she eats food with gums, grains, and plant based filler like potato but is fine with foods that have pea protein, carageenan, and agar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thedude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped giving my cats raw because they stopped eating it...lol! They have done well on canned, but have no dietary issues. What issues has your cat been having?

A good brand that a lot of people use is Rawz. There is a member on here whose cats has a lot going on tummy-wise and Rawz is one of the few commercial brands she can tolerate. If you send them an email on their website, they will send you free samples!
Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep Rawz on the short list if I decide to go this route. Here's my other thread related to my cat's issues lately:

My raw fed cat has been pukey lately

Hi
Yes, I switched my cat Bilbo from raw to canned. He’d been eating dry food for years before that. 🙁
He’d had digestive issues and tooth loss. I’ve got him on Fancy Feast Classic paté, it doesn’t have grains, veggies, or fruits. Yes, it has meat by-products, but as Dr. Pierson points out on her website, it’s gotten a bad rap (I’m paraphrasing), and is better than grains, potatoes, veggies, or whatever plant fillers many cat foods use. His digestive issues, and stool quality, improved. It’s easy to find, and affordable, especially compared to some others, like Tiki Cat.
I’d check the percentages of the foods. I was surprised that some boasting about their meat content were sometimes up to 60% fat calorie-wise.
I appreciate the reply. I will make sure to check out the fat content!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought my Bengal from dry to raw and canned food.
I am lucky because he is like a Labrador dog and will eat anything.
But have to watch out for canned foods with high grain contents..instant diarrhea.
I only use the canned food as a stop gap in case I run out of raw or forgotten to defrost some.
I find because the Bengal is such a high activity cat that they seem to burn up the canned food more and are always hungrier than on the raw.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried Raw cause my cat had diarrhea and the raw stopped it. I was so happy. Then after a week he started vomiting with raw so I switched to canned food, limited ingredients and haven't vomited once

I think Buffalo Basics is a good option

the thing is that with canned you get a lot of fillers and stool is back on the loose side

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to for a week. Tommy possibly has IBD. He had to go to the ER and get an enema and fluids and had been doing a lot of vomiting on the previous food batch. I had put pork in it. I put him on Dr Elsey's cleanprotein canned turkey until I could make him a batch without pork, which took a little time to get the rabbit back in from Hare Today over in PA.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cooked is an option as well, better than commercial. Most of them, you just have to cook the meat in a 2lb batch or so, mix it with the powder, portion them out, and freeze them. Easy peasy. There are several, ezcomplete, u-stew, balenceIT.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats commercial raw, homemade cooked, and canned. They have all sorts of digestive weirdness, too, but do really well with the variety because the foods are high in meat protein, very low in carbs. (Like dhammagirl dhammagirl , we do feed some Fancy Feast Classics, which are very low-carb and high in meat protein. I'm totally fine with the byproducts.)

But really, your results will depend mostly on figuring out what was/is causing your cat to barf T thedude -- have you been able to get a sense of what might be causing it?

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been told that bones in raw food can upset some sensitive cats stomachs, of which my 6mth old female Jemima has. I have her on a variety of foods which include vital essential (I think, but it’s still new to me) petcurian kitten and canned koha lamb and rabbit. She cannot tolerate chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, so far so good 😊

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been told that bones in raw food can upset some sensitive cats stomachs, of which my 6mth old female Jemima has. I have her on a variety of foods which include vital essential (I think, but it’s still new to me) petcurian kitten and canned koha lamb and rabbit. She cannot tolerate chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, so far so good 😊
Yes, this is true: bone can cause constipation, which can cause nausea. We went through this with one of our cats and had to cut her bone consumption.