Anyone Ever Had This With Iams Perfect Portions - Food Is Rotten! Ewwww

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I opened a new pouch of IAMS perfect portions for Mia tonight. It was two meals, not separated yet. I saw no evidence of a puncture or the other things I look for with this kind of packaging. It opened as normal (appearing sealed) and this is what was inside:

PS Mia gets this once or twice a week one meal in an effort to rotate her food so she doesn't get picky.

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Expletive!!!!

That's disgusting. I suppose you'll have to call the company and tell them. Then they'll pretend to make a note of it and ask you to send them then bad can. (If you want to go further don't send the can, it will disappear.) They will never have had a complaint about any thing like this before. It probably happened in the warehouse. No doubt the packaging was damaged and you didn't notice it... In short they will do nothing. They probably won't even send you coupons for more.

If the company actually does something, even replace the food, I'll be amazed.

You want to get the bar code and expiration date. And tell the local HS and rescues.

Or you could put it in the freezer while you consider where to send it. Your local HS ;) lady might know where to send it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tossed it. I was like OMG WT*^%%. It actually looked like eggs. I'm pretty sure that is just the way it jelled together but *barf*. What's weird about it is the food itself looked fine, it's that jelly stuff around it that went that black moldy, eggy thing. Before anyone asks: No I did not touch it. No I did not smell it. I probably should but looking at it was enough.

I would understand a tiny puncture if it were the start of the package, but it was one of the inner ones in the box.

Should I really retrieve it and freeze it? Maybe in a ziplock?

I wonder if I'm the first to experience that?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the only reason to keep it is if you wanted to pursue the problem with IAMS. Odds are if you talk to them, you'll get the answer I suggested or something similar. Save the picture and warm the HS about it in case they get a donation. There are people who if they find something like that will donate the rest of the case to the HS. It might be okay, but they need to know to turn the food out and look at if very carefully before they use it.

I wouldn't be able to use the rest of the case, or buy their product again. But that's just me. Fortunately, we don't use it anyway.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt you are the first to experience it, but I'll bet a bunch of possibilities that if you call IAMs they will tell you that you are. ;)

To be fair I went to the consumer reviews and complaints site Top 86 Reviews and Complaints about Iams Cat Food
and scrolled through the Iams cat food section. I didn't see any for the perfect portions.

I would look very closely at the other packages if you are going to use them. You could actually submerge them in a bowl of water and see if they bubble.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As K Kflowers asked, is there an expiration date and did you check it? If it is expired and you have a receipt for when you bought it, you could at least tell who ever sold it to you that it was expired. I mean, after all, most people don't check expiration dates. I do, because I have watched how stores stock their stuff, and they don't always put the 'older' stuff to the front.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Already sent that text. ;-) Thank you for that thought as it wasn't anything I would have thought to do.

Its very possible there was a small puncture, pinhole? But there was no indication. it unsealed as per normal nothing around the top, bottom or edges that showed any damage at all.

This was always something I was aware of with this type of packaging so I look close. I don't think I will buy them anymore. Too risky. If I'm this careful and I get something like this - yeah - no.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As K Kflowers asked, is there an expiration date and did you check it? If it is expired and you have a receipt for when you bought it, you could at least tell who ever sold it to you that it was expired. I mean, after all, most people don't check expiration dates. I do, because I have watched how stores stock their stuff, and they don't always put the 'older' stuff to the front.
Sorry - I didn't post that answer. Yes. Checked. :-) Not expired. July of 2020

PS - I too look at the back - as yep - they usually pull the old stuff forward.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt you are the first to experience it, but I'll bet a bunch of possibilities that if you call IAMs they will tell you that you are. ;)

To be fair I went to the consumer reviews and complaints site Top 86 Reviews and Complaints about Iams Cat Food
and scrolled through the Iams cat food section. I didn't see any for the perfect portions.

I would look very closely at the other packages if you are going to use them. You could actually submerge them in a bowl of water and see if they bubble.
I think I'm blind tonight - probably in shock still as I missed this I think entirely *DOH*

Reading the reviews - one star - IAMS has one star! Not what I expected. So yup - No more of that for them. Their main diet is wellness and cuddles. Looking in other brands as I really want to rotate the food choices so I don't end up with more "Charlies" - AKA Wicked picky to the point of crazy insane!

I have another unopened box and I will see about using that. Submerging in water is a BRILLANT idea!!! Seriously, BRILLIANT!

I'm going to let IAMS know as well - they need to know. I hope I was a one-in-a billion though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not possible for food production to be perfect. It's really remarkable that our food is as safe as it is.

Personally I probably wouldn't complain if there was just one bad pack in the case. But if there were more than one I'd complain. They'll probably send you coupons :D.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If nothing else giving the info to IAMS allows them to take note, whether they act on it or not. That way, especially if they get more than one incident, they can help pinpoint the issue, whether it is manufacturing, storing, transport, etc. :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not possible for food production to be perfect. It's really remarkable that our food is as safe as it is.

Personally I probably wouldn't complain if there was just one bad pack in the case. But if there were more than one I'd complain. They'll probably send you coupons :D.
This is true - it freaked me right out though. Sometimes I really think I'm better off trying to cook for them but I know that is a very serious under taking and I would have to read up for months before trying it.

I'm going to let them know. Not really complain, more let them know just in case. The likelihood is that this is a one or two "Off" but I would really hate to not say anything and find out a month later that 100 cats have died or were sick because I assumed it was a package issue.

If nothing else giving the info to IAMS allows them to take note, whether they act on it or not. That way, especially if they get more than one incident, they can help pinpoint the issue, whether it is manufacturing, storing, transport, etc. :)
That's what I was thinking too. Hopefully this one a one in a billion minuscule hole somewhere that was defective. If it's something they've been seeing or hearing about lately they'll be able to correct it. :-) Especially if there is an issue, mine may have gone black, but what if it's a bad batch and I was "lucky" and was able to see something visual with it. (Though honestly I would think it's more of air got in somehow?)

The package is interesting, but, I can see where there could be problems.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams is now made by Mars Corporation if you want to write to corporate rather than the Iams subsidiary.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a large piece of rubber (about the size of a quarter in a can of Nutro Chunky Chicken once, and oddly enough, the company reimbursed me for the entire case! I provided them with the lot number, etc. and did end up sending them the can and the piece of rubber so they could try to track it down. They did get back with me and said they had tracked that lot number all the way from the purchase of the food in the mix all the way down the production line until the cans were sealed up and couldn't figure out the cause. It looked like a piece of rubber broke off something and fell into the can. I continued to use the rest of the case, carefully picking through each can in that case and never found anything else untoward in there. (only reason I used it up was it's the only food one of mine would eat)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams is now made by Mars Corporation if you want to write to corporate rather than the Iams subsidiary.
Thank you. I think I might as so far IAMS has ignored me. Mind you I'm also not being pushy about it - or irrational. I'm simply asking them "Has this happened before", "What could cause it", etc. Nothing mean or angry. Simply looking to inform them and get information mostly. I don't expect anything from them for a monetary standpoint.

“It’s ROTTEN, ya donkey”

~Gordon Meowsay
:flail::flail::flail::flail:I adore him. Tough - but fair and darn good at what he does. I bet if he has cats he cooks for them. :-)

I had a large piece of rubber (about the size of a quarter in a can of Nutro Chunky Chicken once, and oddly enough, the company reimbursed me for the entire case! I provided them with the lot number, etc. and did end up sending them the can and the piece of rubber so they could try to track it down. They did get back with me and said they had tracked that lot number all the way from the purchase of the food in the mix all the way down the production line until the cans were sealed up and couldn't figure out the cause. It looked like a piece of rubber broke off something and fell into the can. I continued to use the rest of the case, carefully picking through each can in that case and never found anything else untoward in there. (only reason I used it up was it's the only food one of mine would eat)
YIKES!

It's amazing how they can track things. Documentation on production for most places is usually good in case of incidents - as - they happen.

I'm very glad to hear that they treated you right. That speaks volumes for the company! :-)

I'm not going to use the rest of this case as it's freaked me out. I will use the other case I have and place it in water before opening as K Kflowers suggested. The budget has become a little tight since the emergency kitty additions to the home. Lots of vet visits - not cheap but everyone is okay and that's what matters.

It's no offence to IAMS - while the packaging is a great idea, in the back of my head I was always aware that it's much easier to damage, and therefore you had to be more cautious. :(

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably is the seal. That's one of the problems with that packaging .
*nods* Probably. I won't get it again as I agree - most likely the packaging. I don't want to give one to any of the girls if the food may have an issue - but - might not show the signs like that one package did.

I'll have to look into something else to rotate her foods with. I have a few so far. So she won't starve. :-)

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So FYI they did get back to me. Very pleasant and they can trace it .
Here was the nice response:

"Eww. I am so sorry. I'm not sure what happened. Can you reply with the UPC bar code from that container and the batch code that is stamped on the side? That will tell us down to the minute when and where it was made.
And, where did you purchase that?

Also, if you'll reply with a direct message and include your mailing address, I can take care of reimbursing that food for you.

- Aaron, the IAMS team"

I let them know not to worry about reimbursing, if they really feel they need to then okay, but, I really just want to make sure this is a weird fluke and nothing anyone needs to worry about.

Here's something else I noticed while giving him the info. The Best before date on the box, and the best before date on the individual items - not the same. The other code is though. Close, but a month apart.