Anyone ever built a cat tree?

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone out there could give me some help as far as building a cat tree? I have been looking at them for quite a while now as Jasper has pretty much outgrown his, and now with his sister coming I think it is time to be planning for another one. My main question is how do you attach the carpet/material to the wood? I was thinking I would use plush because that is what is on the one he has now and the material is holding up very well, plus he has been caught chewing on the carpet in front of the doors when he is shut out of a room and I don't want him eating any...I am pretty sure of my ability to build what I want from looking at the pre built ones online and at the pet stores. To get a big sturdy one premade is going to cost me about $200.00 and even then it doesn't have all the features I would like, like sisal rope legs for scratching
. I got one of the cheaper ones on ebay but as I said he has outgrown it, although it would have been adequate for smaller cats probably...any way, any help or advice would be appreciated, as I am not sure whether to try to glue, staple or whatever the material/carpet to attach it to the wood.....thanks everyone

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS still has some CD's about how to do this. If you are interested in purchasing one, just PM me- I believe I have a few left
They are quite good-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

TCS still has some CD's about how to do this. If you are interested in purchasing one, just PM me- I believe I have a few left
They are quite good-
Thanks MA, I can hardly wait to get my CD! Another little project........hee hee

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was walking by a dumpster, on my way to the bank, when I noticed a roll of carpet (in really good shape) and a pair of chairs. The chairs had wood rectangular legs and were covered in cloth. Cloth back rest also. I took the chairs and carpet home and cut the carpet into strips wide enough to go from floor to the seat. Wrapped the carpet around the chair and screwed them onto the legs. I took more carpet and stretched them from arm rest to arm rest and made a hammock. A small space was left under the stretched carpet and seat cushion. The masters LOVE this setup. I'm going to get some shelves and cover the board with carpet. The boards will be attached to the wall with wood braces. I've seen a house on TV that had done this in every room, with various heights between the shelves. I will NOT do this to the kitchen, as the couple had done on TV. The masters also LOVED that setup.

lilycurly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They do sell them for big bucks don't they? I just couldn't decide myself to spend 200$ on a cat tree that lookes so simply made.
I got the one I've got now from a garage sell. I ran to the thing as soon as I saw it, okay, it's not a cat tree, it's more of a huge vertical carpeted cylinder with three holes in it. They sold it 4$!!! I just couldn't beleive my luck. Yesterday I saw the same thing at a pet store sold 65.99$!
My cats love it, just thought I would share....we are still dreaming of a real cat-tree though...

dangcatsfault

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've re-covered a lot of trees and used a T-50 staple gun and man oh man did my hands get tired from that. Afterwards you should also tap the staples in deeper with a hammer. Then I got lucky and a guy at work owned this huge compressor that he let me use. The air gun (not sure if thats what they are called) shoots brads or staples and aren't that expensive.
You want to make sure you use good quality carpet though. Some of the trees use cheap cheap cheap carpet and they show it real soon after you bring them home.

One thing I am going to start doing is making removable pads for any of the flat places that the cats lay down on. I can't tell you how disheartening it is to spend all that time and energy on making the perfect tree and having one or two cats out of the bunch pooping and peeing on it.

We have one dang cat who poops on one of the trees daily. I have asked the cats in this group to PLEASE rat out who is doing it and it'll be Treat-City for them but nobody will spill the beans.
If I had made the tree so that the resting areas were removable and washable it wouldn't be so bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dangcatsfault

I've re-covered a lot of trees and used a T-50 staple gun and man oh man did my hands get tired from that. Afterwards you should also tap the staples in deeper with a hammer. Then I got lucky and a guy at work owned this huge compressor that he let me use. The air gun (not sure if thats what they are called) shoots brads or staples and aren't that expensive.
You want to make sure you use good quality carpet though. Some of the trees use cheap cheap cheap carpet and they show it real soon after you bring them home.

One thing I am going to start doing is making removable pads for any of the flat places that the cats lay down on. I can't tell you how disheartening it is to spend all that time and energy on making the perfect tree and having one or two cats out of the bunch pooping and peeing on it.

We have one dang cat who poops on one of the trees daily. I have asked the cats in this group to PLEASE rat out who is doing it and it'll be Treat-City for them but nobody will spill the beans.
If I had made the tree so that the resting areas were removable and washable it wouldn't be so bad.
Wow, what a total bummer!
All that work and then one or two cats totally "dis" you by "eliminating" on your hard work! I am thinking about using the plush fabric on the trees instead of the carpeting, it would be easier I think and it doesn't come apart, or at least the one we have now hasn't! I am a little bit leary of jasper eating "strings" that he rips loose
. the removable pads are a great idea though, because then I could wash them when they get dirty. Thanks for the idea and good luck with your "problem" cats, maybe you could set up a video camera and catch the "puuurpetrator" in the act? Good luck