Anyone else's cat hate Cosequin?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Started Feeby on Cosequin sprinkle capsules in early September, but she will no longer eat anything that it is sprinkled on/mixed with. Previously, she gladly ate Glyco Flex Plus chews for over two years, but stopped wanting them. I suspect the green lipped mussels in Glyco Flex got to be too much for her, so I tried mixing them with foods/various treats, but she eventually refused it altogether. That is when I tried the Cosequin, and she seemed fine having the powder mixed with pretty much anything - until just the last week or so. I have no idea what could be the issue with Cosequin.

Does anyone else's cat hate Cosequin? What does everyone use? I am thinking of moving away from powder or chews, maybe liquid perhaps? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Started Feeby on Cosequin sprinkle capsules in early September, but she will no longer eat anything that it is sprinkled on/mixed with. Previously, she gladly ate Glyco Flex Plus chews for over two years, but stopped wanting them. I suspect the green lipped mussels in Glyco Flex got to be too much for her, so I tried mixing them with foods/various treats, but she eventually refused it altogether. That is when I tried the Cosequin, and she seemed fine having the powder mixed with pretty much anything - until just the last week or so. I have no idea what could be the issue with Cosequin.

Does anyone else's cat hate Cosequin? What does everyone use? I am thinking of moving away from powder or chews, maybe liquid perhaps? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hey! I literally just got back from buying two packs of Cosequin from Wal-Mart. My cat Sam eats them pretty well. At least he did until he started feeling a little more pain in his joints. At that point he just wasn't very hungry at all. Also, he didn't like that I'd mixed other liquid medicine in with it. He hates liquids. Is Cosequin the only thing you're mixing in your baby's food? I use this to feed him his medicine, and he loves it: HARTZ Delectables Squeeze Up Chicken Lickable Cat Treat, 2.0-oz, Pack of 4 - Chewy.com

Also, if he just won't take the Cosequin anymore, Hill's makes a great dry food that is for joints. My vet recommended it to me, and that is what Sam is on now. HILL'S PRESCRIPTION DIET k/d Kidney Care + Mobility Care with Chicken Dry Cat Food, 6.35-lb bag - Chewy.com

It does require a vet's prescription, and it is a little expensive, but it's worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Cosequin the only thing you're mixing in your baby's food?...Also, if he just won't take the Cosequin anymore, Hill's makes a great dry food that is for joints.
Hi! Feeby takes H-T meds twice daily with baby food meat, lickable treats, and/or even a bite of her own food - without issue. I can't use any of these food mediums with the Cosequin, even though I could initially. And, if I mix it with her H-T meds and any of the above, she will reject it all. She doesn't eat any dry food; she weaned herself off of it 2-3 years back - once I introduced canned food to her!

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Feeby takes H-T meds twice daily with baby food meat, lickable treats, and/or even a bite of her own food - without issue. I can't use any of these food mediums with the Cosequin, even though I could initially. And, if I mix it with her H-T meds and any of the above, she will reject it all. She doesn't eat any dry food; she weaned herself off of it 2-3 years back - once I introduced canned food to her!
My baby is the opposite. He will not touch wet food (except for the squeeze tubs, which is really more of a paste). No idea why. But, the Hill's comes in can as well: Hill's Prescription Diet k/d + Mobility Chicken & Vegetable Stew Cat Food

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take your guy has kidney disease? I wouldn't feed kidney care food to a cat who doesn't need it as the protein is really pretty low, especially for elderly cats who need a lot of protein to help maintain muscle mass. But, Feeby is in the early stages of CKD. So, we did try to see if she would at least eat a bit of kidney care foods each day to help with the phosphorus level, she would not eat any of them. I am glad Sam likes it! I would be giving it to Feeby for part of her daily intake if she was like Sam!

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is in the beginning stages of it, unfortunately. The vet says we are nowhere near failure though, thank goodness.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you sprinkle/mix it in? In the beginning I would add it AFTER mixing the food with warm water and just kinda swirl it in, but it would kind of clump up and one time Susan threw up (I think it got too clumpy/accumulated together). Now I sprinkle it on the wet food before adding water and thoroughly mixing it in/distributing it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do you sprinkle/mix it in? In the beginning I would add it AFTER mixing the food with warm water and just kinda swirl it in, but it would kind of clump up and one time Susan threw up (I think it got too clumpy/accumulated together). Now I sprinkle it on the wet food before adding water and thoroughly mixing it in/distributing it.
I typically use a scoop or two of baby food meat, a lickable treat, or just a bite or two of her regular food. I can't afford to mix it in a whole meal as she very often never eats it all, so she wouldn't get the entire dose. I just stir it into whatever food medium I am using, and it has never clumped on me.

I can give her the thyroid meds in the same manner and she usually has no issues with that. So, I presume she doesn't like either the smell or taste of it - I can't smell it, but there is a bit of a taste to it. Although, I am having the same issue with her D-Mannose which she has taken the same way since March, and is now refusing it as well.