Anyone else's cat call you to join them?

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine, she has developed this habit since her buddy, my other cat who passed a couple months ago, of calling me annoyingly to get out of bed to join her in the living room, or to get out of the house and join her outside. And you can hear in her voice what she's saying. "C'mon human! C'mon!! And then when I get up /come out she changes her tune to a higher softer pitch of satisfaction. It's quite cute but annoying when I'm sleeping or working inside. I gotta get her a friend. She must miss "Sheba" as I do. We loved him very much.

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper will come to us and sit at our feet and give us a look that says, "Attention me!" Then, when we lean down to pet him, he'll move away, looking back, like he wants us to follow him. If we follow him, he'll lead us to the place where he wants us to go.

Sometimes, he takes us to the kitchen, right next to his food dish where he'll sit and look up at us. That means he wants us to fill his dish.

Sometimes, he takes us to the patio door in the living room so that we can open the door for him. He wants to sit by the door and watch "his" birds.

Other times, he takes us to the middle of the living room and asks us to get out his rope toy so that we can "make it go" for him and he can chase and pounce on it.

My very first cat, "K.C." would greet me at the door when I came home from work and he would meow at me until I went to the kitchen with him so that I could refill his food dish. If I didn't, he would sit by his food dish and meow, loudly. If I didn't give him his food within a couple of minutes he would flip over his water bowl with his paw.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have one, he has always done it. Sometimes I think he does it just so he can have me to himself. Like @ Caspers Human has said sometimes he wants me to let him into my son's room or play with him, other times he just wants a cuddle. I have two cat's and Patches certainly knows how to get my attention. The other cat Bandit will come to us if he wants attention and sit on our knees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Casper will come to us and sit at our feet and give us a look that says, "Attention me!" Then, when we lean down to pet him, he'll move away, looking back, like he wants us to follow him. If we follow him, he'll lead us to the place where he wants us to go.

Sometimes, he takes us to the kitchen, right next to his food dish where he'll sit and look up at us. That means he wants us to fill his dish.

Sometimes, he takes us to the patio door in the living room so that we can open the door for him. He wants to sit by the door and watch "his" birds.

Other times, he takes us to the middle of the living room and asks us to get out his rope toy so that we can "make it go" for him and he can chase and pounce on it.

My very first cat, "K.C." would greet me at the door when I came home from work and he would meow at me until I went to the kitchen with him so that I could refill his food dish. If I didn't, he would sit by his food dish and meow, loudly. If I didn't give him his food within a couple of minutes he would flip over his water bowl with his paw.
Cute.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is always calling me: to cuddle with him in bed, to let me know the litter box needs scooping, to tell me his dry food is all gone... and the best part: When he is doing mischief: something that he knows he is not supposed to be doing, as in being on top of the cabinets, counters, or refrigerator, he has this cure little questionable squeak.. Yes, squeak.. he has a squeaky voice..

In other words, when he uses that really soft squeaky cry, with a question mark, he is into something bad!!!

Artie, avatar picture, used to greet me at the door when I came home from work, yelling at me for leaving him... and telling me about his entire day! walking around, telling me off..
Yes, Artie would really yell at me... and sass me back when I scolded him!! Yes, real sassy!
I would tell him: Don't you sass me!! Then he would go, ears down, awalking out of the room, still sassing me..

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is always calling me: to cuddle with him in bed, to let me know the litter box needs scooping, to tell me his dry food is all gone... and the best part: When he is doing mischief, something that he knows he is not supposed to be doing, as in being on top of the cabinets, counters, or refrigerator, he has this cure little questionable squeak.. Yes, squeak.. he has a squeaky voice..

In other words, when he uses that really soft squeaky cry, with a question mark, he is into something bad!!!

Artie, avatar picture, used to greet me at the door when I came home from work, yelling at me for leaving him... and telling me about his entire day! walking around, telling me off..
Yes, Artie would really yell at me... and sass me back when I scolded him!! Yes, real sassy!
I wold tell him: Don't you sass me!! Then he would go, ears down, awalking out of the room, still sassing me..
Haha too cute "Artie"! I love the sass. Mine, she very verbal as yours. Whereas my recently passed on in avatar was super quiet. So quiet when he spoke you listened. And he'd look into your eyes whilst speaking volumes. He was very warm.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is always calling me: to cuddle with him in bed, to let me know the litter box needs scooping, to tell me his dry food is all gone... and the best part: When he is doing mischief: something that he knows he is not supposed to be doing, as in being on top of the cabinets, counters, or refrigerator, he has this cure little questionable squeak.. Yes, squeak.. he has a squeaky voice..

I would tell him: Don't you sass me!! Then he would go, ears down, awalking out of the room, still sassing me..
My kitty Juno also likes to give me sass. When I'm in the living room (also my kitchen and dining room) and not paying adequate attention to her, she will jump onto the stove-- where she KNOWS she is not allowed-- and if I don't react and keep looking at my phone, she will meow at me. Like she wants to be sure I know she is transgressing. Then she meows in protest when I move her off.

Her meow is also super squeaky. I call her Squeaky McGoo for short.

When I'm in my bedroom with the door shut (her on the outside), she rings the chimes just outside to let me know my presence is requested. I have to be careful how long I take to get ready in the morning or she'll make clear that it's too long.
20201216_232227.jpg

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey really shocked me yesterday.

I left his breakfast out for him. It was canned food. He did not eat it. I left it out for him while I went out for a couple of hours. It was cool in the house, with the AC running.

When I unlocked and opened my front door, to return; He was right at the door.. as if he wanted to dart outside, into the corridor. All I heard was SASS!! Yelling at me!! Following me around, walking in circles, sassing me!! I expected a huge hair ball somewhere. I looked all around, nothing! Geoffrey was still following me, sassing his head off!! I washed my hands, put down my bag-- he was still sassing!!

THEN; I looked at his food dish~~ still full!!! He wanted his dry food!!! He was sassing me out because I did not give him any. He did not want his canned food.. OMG... shades of Artie!!

I did not give him. I was hungry, so I pulled out a Kind bar. Geoffrey was all over me--for the wrapper!! OMG... what a cat... He was sill yelling at me...trying so hard to grab the wrapper from my hand---or munch on it as I was eating the bar, with it in my hand...

Cats!!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat I've had seems to have developed their own system for getting attention. Most of the time, it's a loud trill, then heading in the direction they want me to go, occasionally looking back to see if I'm coming. Sometimes, they paw at me or stick their wet noses in my ear and purr loudly (morning wake-ups if I don't respond to lesser stimuli). They will use whatever they discover that works. Cats ain't dumb!