Anyone else on the Site have a Highland Lynx? Best suggestions for Exercise?

holly snow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks CatMom, good luck with the toys. You will love the springs. :)  I don't think I know Dody, does she still breed any kind of cats? Her name sounds familiar and I know other breeders in Texas.....one good thing about her, she obviously does not dock tails during the first couple weeks of life! Bigfoot has a wonderful tail (we have a couple with tails too.) :)

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately most breeders dock the tails of this breed (and other cat breeds), although they are often born with natural bobtails too. We do NOT dock tails of our Highland Lynx/Highlanders, as we like them however they come and do not believe in removing parts of their body. People who show their cats also dock because in certain breeds of cat (just like dogs) a certain length of tail is desirable. :(

Also when you see the word dock, it always means the tail was cut off at a very young age......if it is a naturally short tail (nst) they often cost more.
Have you heard of a breeder named "Rottins" in Troy Alabama? They have some beautiful kittens. I would like to know what you think about them if you know them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they're similar to Manx then with the varying tail lengths?
Manx are not docked here, the long tailed kittens are sold as pets. Docking dog tails is illegal here, not sure if it applies to cats also - I would hope it does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everybody!!  Thanks so much for all the responses.

About the tails - the Highland Lynx cats I've known were all born with tails. Many some are born with short tails, I don't know.  Breeders dock them.  :( Docked definitely means cut off, so it's not a natural state.

Holly Snow & JennyRanson, I'm with you, I don't believe in removing body parts just as a fashion statement.  And yup, cats absolutely need their tails for balance, though the docked cats I've seen seem to do OK, I don't condone the practice.

Thanks for the complement on the avatar, Angels Mommy - I Love it, too!  :)

Bigperm20 - sorry, no, I don't know that breeder in Alabama

Thanks for all the complements on Bigfoot's beauty!  I'll pass them along.  Yesterday was her birthday, she's 4 years old now. :)

My best to everyone!

burns7272

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually have a couple myself ;)  Just got me a new boy named diesel which I am thinking they incorrectly judged his color.  When he was born he was definitely a brown tabby but now he looks more like a blue cream or something like that except he still has the brown stripes on his face and dark brown ears, very unique lol. Honestly his head and his body do not look like they belong to each other because of how dramatic the difference in coloring is.   I have found out that the fake battery operated mice (the larger ones that run really fast and can turn themselves around) work really really well.  You are welcome to contact me and trade tips lol.  I am attaching some pics I just took including one I took tonight for you if you would like to see my baby or can help with what his coloring actually is, they are in order of his age and 10 pics in all.  I do know he is probably going to keep on getting lighter since every week he gets lighter and lighter.

Just Born

2 WEEKS OLD

3 WEEKS OLD

3 WEEKS OLD

5 1/2 WEEKS OLD

6 - 7 WEEKS OLD

7 WEEKS OLD

7 1/2 WEEKS OLD

8 WEEKS OLD

8 WEEKS OLD (JUST TAKEN ABOUT 5 MINUTES AGO)  HE IS THE ONE ON THE TOP

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is one of the most gorgeous cats I have ever seen!  No wonder you're so proud!  

I had never heard of this breed either, but was interested because they have re-introduced wild Canadian Lynx here in Colorado. There have even been sightings near my home, although I have not had that fortune. What a beautiful cat. They are always bob tail - at least in pictures.   That's why I was surprised to see she has a full (beautiful) tail!

I have 2 manx/cymric kittens now, (one is 6 mo and over 10 lbs)  and my beloved cymrics Pantaloons (a stray!) and Toby Tyler
  All mine are/were stumpy so they weren't 'show quality' but they have papers and good lineage.  They exhibit many of the same personality traits you describe. 
So they're similar to Manx then with the varying tail lengths?
Manx are not docked here, the long tailed kittens are sold as pets. Docking dog tails is illegal here, not sure if it applies to cats also - I would hope it does.
Manx can have anything from a full tail to no tail.  No tail does not affect their agility or balance, BTW because that's how they have evolved.  All 4 of my manx are/were very agile and would balance on the staircase like it was a balance beam. And they can jump very high.  My Toby also would occasionally walk upright, especially for catnip - the first time I saw that I about rolled over!  I would think a docked tail would, however affect their balance and cringe to think if this is still being done.

I bet playing a few rounds of fetch with a balled up sock would be fun.  Don't be surprised if she does't take the sock in a corner and growls if you try to take it away. 

Please post more pictures!

Last edited:

burns7272

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found out that the electronic larger sized mice work really well. They are really fast and really do well with the highlanders.  I also have this breed of cat and love them.  Also the electronic balls that run around in the floor in odd rotations and in odd path's is great.  Alot of people have commented on this thread that I could use their opinion on a thread on here I just posted if you care to look at it also.  It is also about a highland lynx with pics attached.  The URL is http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250777/...-please-look-closely-at-all-pics#post_3270102   ....   Best of luck with your baby ;)

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, I said that in my post 
Missy...

If you had read my entire post, you would see that I was only reinforcing the points you made about tails while offering some tid bits about Manx.  You would also realize that I was offering a suggestion on an exercise idea for what I am figuring is a 'fetcher', which is the topic of the thread.  I was responding to the OP, not you.  I'm sorry that you seem to have entirely missed the point I was trying to convey in my post.

Last edited:

nuts4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is beautiful 

Mine loooooooooooooooooooves the laser!   If i don't put a stop to it he would burn himself out playing with that laser. Plus he does have a very very overly active buddy lol  So she helps on burning his energy.

mindy8611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just bought 2 highland Lynx kittens, theyre brother and sister and thier 12 weeks. I need some info. They have been home with us for only one full day now but are extremely scared. Ive had lots of kittensand none have eever acted like this. They are in our bathroom hiding behind thier bed and not in it and will not move unless we are no where to be seen. Is this normal of highland lynx kittens? Does anyone have one that acre like this as a kitten but is great now? I have 3 young children 2.5yrs old 8 yrs old and 7 months and we do not want a feral cat. The breader we got them from insisted on selling thetwo ttogether because they are so attached to eachother and when me met them the girl cam us to the side of the cage to be ped but the boy was in a tight ball pushed in the corner obviously scars and the house reaked of sprey and was pretty filthy. He also had 7 other kittens that were much more expensive who to me acted like normal kittens, jumping and playing and un phased by my presence Any opopinions?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't like change. They just need a little time. Are you keeping them segregated in the bathroom with the door closed? There is a stickie somewhere with regards to integrating new cats in the household.

In general you should keep them segregated, and go in to visit them often. You can also read aloud to them so they will get used to you.

Just search "new kitten" and look for the stickie on the subject.

Oh, pictures please:)

james f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a mink Highland Lynx, but he has blue eyes and the stumpy tail. I wear him out with the laser pointer but it takes a long time as these cats are the olympians of  domestic cats. My Thumper is a love-bug but he is INSANE and does everything your Bigfoot does. He jumped off my 12 foot deck and it didn't phase him one bit; also, he walks on the rail of my staircase which is about 15 feet above the dinning room floor. He is constantly losing his balance but manages to save it just in time. I'm worried he is going hurt himself but so far so good. 

They are awesome animals for the right owner. 

james f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my Thumper at 11 months. He is a handsome devil but a real goofball. He adores me as I much as I adore him.

He managed to get this jar of PB&J out of the trash but couldn't get the lid off and he has figured out how to use his pawls to open lids; obviously, it only works if the lid is really lose. Needless to say, I was amazed.

Strike the  pose!

He is always talking or squeaking about something; especially when I get home. It is almost like he is telling me about his day.

kenorton15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how did you get papers for your stray just curious. I have a new Highland lynx kitten she is 9 weeks old. She has a natural bobtail and 6 toes on her front two paws. I got her for 100$ because she did not have papers and I was curious how to register her or if I could.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS.

If your kitten did not come with pedigree papers from a reputable breeder, my understanding is that she can't be registered. All my cats have been moggies, so I have no personal experience.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how did you get papers for your stray just curious. I have a new Highland lynx kitten she is 9 weeks old. She has a natural bobtail and 6 toes on her front two paws. I got her for 100$ because she did not have papers and I was curious how to register her or if I could.
Pedigree papers can only be obtained if a cat is obtained from a licensed breeder. I have heard of people having unregistered cats DNA tested to see what percentage of a particular breed is present. This is expensive and really only for entertainment purposes.