Anyone else have an Only-Gravy-Licker?

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are times when it looks like a buffet in the cat's feeding area.  It's like, "Well, today we are serving---"  Those are the days that my feral cats are going, "Score!"

mahniah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone had any luck with Purina FortiFlora that was mentioned in the Transitioning article?

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad I found this thread. Ichabod is starting to do this now. I did what some of you suggested and took her food  (Wellness Healthy Indulgence) in a blender and made it a thick gravy and she's been licking it up like crazy. I am glad as I was worried she wasn't getting enough wet food in her. We give her wet in the morning and then measured out dry in the evening (Blue Buffalo Grain Free Basics). At first all she would touch was pate. Then I snuck in some with morsels and then she stopped wanting the pate. Now she just wants the gravy and licks around the morsels. I don't think it's her teeth cause she scarfs down the dry.  Hopefully this milkshake of sorts keeps working as I want to be sure she has enough liquids. Variety for her shouldn't be an issue as I change up the flavors all the time. We went through that as well. Which flavors she likes and doesn't like. I know some would say "its an animal they eat what they are given" but after Sabbath's passing last June I want to make sure Ichabod is eating!! I know now how them skipping a meal can be detrimental to their health. 

Last edited:

casm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Meow, does this also, He loves BFF but they stopped selling in the area i live, trying to come up with ideas,, thanks

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat, Shadow, is a gravy licker. He won't touch any food apart from ones in gravy and, while he will eat some of the flakes, once he's locked them dry he turns his nose up at the rest! He's always been a fussy eater and is getting fussier as he gets older (he's 13 now, and still going strong).

The only kind of non gravy food he'll eat is Almo Nature Classic (*not* classic in jelly) pouches. Not cheap, but contains no nasties and is grain free.

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very informative thread, thank you!

I'm a cat mom to 6 strictly indoor cats, 5 of them which were at one time feral cats.
Also feeding a few outdoor ferals that come around twice daily. Have my hands full!

In the past few days, our female "cow cat" named Daisy, which was an outdoor only feral up until March of this year, has been having trouble eating. She would get freaked out by shaking her head, acting like she had food stuck in her throat, then jumping up and running like she was scared to death. So we took her to the vet on Saturday (yesterday) and found out that the problem is, she has something called Stomatitis. She is scheduled for surgery on Wednesday to have 6 teeth extracted. In the meantime, I need to gravy all her food, since she is unable to eat anything chunky at this time.

So I seached on line, looking for gravy for cats and came upon this thread.
Really glad to have found it!

I plan to try the suggestion of many on this thread of blending Fancy Feast pate and a little bit of spring water. The vet said the stinkier the pate is... the better chance she will eat it.

Which brings me to a question. I have heard Jackson Galaxy say he has no problem with giving baby food (in jars from stores) to cats, especially when needed for a medical situation like the one Daisy is in. Although the baby food is not real "stinky" (as the vet said to get in pate's), I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? They do have turkey and chicken and it is baby smooth and nearly gravy like.

Would love to hear if anyone else has tried baby food for their kitties and what are the pro's and con's of using it for kitties.

Thanks!
Terri

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most baby foods have onion and garlic in them. If I am correct, Beechnut brand is the one that has none, and is lower in carbs.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gerber baby food also has a few that are ok for cats:

Remember, Human baby foods are not complete diets for cats so only use them temporarily or mixed with regular cat food.

You can put any canned cat food through a blender with some water to turn it into soup for easier eating. Some brands of foods are in gravy which would make a tastier soup. Try the Weruva line of food or any Fancy Feast.

For more stinkiness, try crumbled up freeze dried treats or freeze dried raw food on top. Seafood ones are pretty stinky. If you can find it in pet stores, Stella and Chewy's seafood based freeze dried raw foods are stuper stinky and easily crumbled up for use as a topper. Regular freeze dried fish or safood treats would also work just as well. Some cats like tuna flakes (bonito flakes) which are pretty stinky. If your cat isnt' a seafood fan, try meat or liver based treats.

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All three are gravy lickers,although they will eat Purina Complete Cat chow. So they get some nourishment.It's maddening to pay almost a dollar a can for decent wet food,only to have them lick the gravy and leave the rest untouched!

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forti Flora (which costs a lot less on Amazon than at the vet's!) is a life saver. Especially when a cat is on antibiotics,just coming off them or is a poor eater.

duncansmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL! Yes, I have a food licker. Funny thing is she licks pate too. I have stopped free feeding her dry food and she's beginning to learn how to eat actual food!

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going thru baby food thing right now with my 20 year old.  I was so glad to find the beechnut brand.  Nothing but the meat and broth.  Sometimes my floor looks like a buffet.  Dishes of this and dishes of those and dishes of -well you catch my drift.  Anything to get him to eat during the day.

cecegrandmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just Googled your exact question about the Gravy licking.  We have two older cats who both split a can of wet food once a day.  They only lick each piece and all gravy and walk away.  They have access to fresh dry food 24/7 and fresh water.  (We keep fresh water bowl upstairs and down.)  They are in good health pretty much.  (Each has one health issue not related.)   They also expect treats once a day around 4 p.m. They beg in kitchen and get dry treats from treat collection.)

I have purchased EVERY SINGLE type of cat food I can find.  Same thing. 

Hope we get someone who can help us.  

mogenses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I'm glad we're not alone.  My cats are getting older and I decided to try some grain free foods.  I was surprised to see that Taste of the Wild only comes in chunks with gravy. As far as I know they don't make a pate. I tried it and my cats only licked off the gravy.

My husband will think I'm crazy but maybe tonight I'll blend 3 or 4 cans for my eight cats and see if they like it better that way.

I did squirt some Salmon oil (omega 3s) on some of the chunks and one of that ate that right up.  Another option.

Sigh!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I'm glad we're not alone.  My cats are getting older and I decided to try some grain free foods.  I was surprised to see that Taste of the Wild only comes in chunks with gravy. As far as I know they don't make a pate. I tried it and my cats only licked off the gravy.

My husband will think I'm crazy but maybe tonight I'll blend 3 or 4 cans for my eight cats and see if they like it better that way.

I did squirt some Salmon oil (omega 3s) on some of the chunks and one of that ate that right up.  Another option.

Sigh!
Welcome to the Cat Site! Blending chunky foods is a great way to get pate-lover cats to broaden their culinary horizons. I did that for our previous cat with certain Merrick and Weruva foods, when she was sick, adding extra water. It worked really well for her!

elle918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Prince is the pickiest ever. He's about 4 months old now, and only eats wet food. He does also have access to dry food to graze on - Merrick Purrrfect Bistro for kittens - but he views this as a last resort.

However, more to the point... he is also picky about his wet food! 

He loves pouches with lappable gravy.. but only for that reason, the gravy.

When it comes to actually chowing down, it's pate or go home! 

laceylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Lacy is 5 yrs old and always eaten RC dry. Recently the vet instructed me to incorporated some moist food into daily diet. What I thought would be easy has become the nitemare of my life!!! Lacy will only eat her RC dry and the gravy from every kind of moist food I've tried. I've even tried giving her straight tuna or chicken breast that I've made for myself and she still will not eat. She hates seafood we did discover. I keep trying, but I'm at my wits end. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Lacey & her owner Tami