Anyone Else Have A Cat That Wasn’t Super Lucky In The Genes Department??

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we adopted Binx....and I’ll admit, when I saw his picture my first thought was not “oh what a gorgeous cat!”....but I wasn’t going for looks....I was going for a specific personality (which he has, 100%). My husband is not a cat person and said to me this morning “he’s actually a really good cat....ugly as sin, but he’s good”. I wouldn’t say he’s ugly as sin...lol...definitely not beautiful like Kaia but I love him just the same!
Anyone else have a kitty who’s kind of “plain”?
Binx had such a horrible beginning to his life, I couldn’t imagine adopting anyone but him at this point. He’s been so good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think most people on TheCatSite are going to say that all cats are beautiful, even if they have preferences to breed, colour and/or fur length.

But remember, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And "beauty is only skin deep", or in the case of cats, fur deep. :heartshape:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest I didn’t think Olive was very cute at first. She was too skinny when I met her and I wasn’t sold on tortie coloring yet. Not I think she is quite pretty.

Trin is a plain brown tabby, which I find a little plain. And his pupils are a little wonky making him look silly lol.

Can we see a photo of Bing?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we adopted Binx....and I’ll admit, when I saw his picture my first thought was not “oh what a gorgeous cat!”....but I wasn’t going for looks....I was going for a specific personality (which he has, 100%). My husband is not a cat person and said to me this morning “he’s actually a really good cat....ugly as sin, but he’s good”. I wouldn’t say he’s ugly as sin...lol...definitely not beautiful like Kaia but I love him just the same!
Anyone else have a kitty who’s kind of “plain”?
Binx had such a horrible beginning to his life, I couldn’t imagine adopting anyone but him at this point. He’s been so good.
If Binx is the cat in your profile, I think he is very cute. I like that his looks are unique.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t either! Binx is a cutie! That black and white is very striking. Hi, Binx! :wave3:

Kind of like KarenKat KarenKat and torties, I never thought I’d be interested in a calico...until one dropped in my lap. I love calicos now and Iris has a wonderful personality: sweet, quirky, fun with the cat version of a sense of humor.

Now if we’re talking smarts, I did have a kitty years ago, Brandy, who couldn’t find her way out of a paper bag if both ends were open. But she was a loving companion, and I adored her.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's just that Binx looks like he has a bad haircut with the two black bits on his face. He's not ugly. My brother is always telling me Link is an idiot because he has crossed eyes and his upper canines show (my profile cat). Links eyes are very slightly crossed but when Link really focuses it's more apparent and he shakes his head at the same time to help focus. Its just one of those little things some people focus on and overlook all the other wonderful aspects over.

My Mom's cat, Nightfury, is solid black. While I wouldn't say he is ugly he is non descript. My Mom has often said she would have never picked out a black cat and still wouldn't now. He's just not eye catching and so she'd probably walk right by him in all honesty; just like most people do with black cats. He is only with us because we happened across him dying in a box, abandoned, and my Mom bonded nursing him back to health. He's beautiful in his own way and a total sweetheart. She calls him her shadow and loves him to pieces.

IMG_20181001_184317.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's just that Binx looks like he has a bad haircut with the two black bits on his face. He's not ugly. My brother is always telling me Link is an idiot because he has crossed eyes and his upper canines show (my profile cat). Links eyes are very slightly crossed but when Link really focuses it's more apparent and he shakes his head at the same time to help focus. Its just one of those little things some people focus on and overlook all the other wonderful aspects over.

My Mom's cat, Nightfury, is solid black. While I wouldn't say he is ugly he is non descript. My Mom has often said she would have never picked out a black cat and still wouldn't now. He's just not eye catching and so she'd probably walk right by him in all honesty; just like most people do with black cats. He is only with us because we happened across him dying in a box, abandoned, and my Mom bonded nursing him back to health. He's beautiful in his own way and a total sweetheart. She calls him her shadow and loves him to pieces.

View attachment 255580
My husband says Binx looks like he has herpes on his mouth because of the black spot.......hahaha....poor guy. I don't think so. Half his chin is black, so it looks kind of odd, but whatever!

Beans<3r

Troublemaker
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband says Binx looks like he has herpes on his mouth because of the black spot.......hahaha....poor guy. I don't think so. Half his chin is black, so it looks kind of odd, but whatever!
Don't feel bad, my husband is not too fond of Beans either, but unfortunately for him the cat moved in before he did, sooooooo he will have to suck it up for the rest of life!! In his defense though Beans does know that my husband is not too fond of him and likes teasing him.....but they both play nice!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Q\
Don't feel bad, my husband is not too fond of Beans either, but unfortunately for him the cat moved in before he did, sooooooo he will have to suck it up for the rest of life!! In his defense though Beans does know that my husband is not too fond of him and likes teasing him.....but they both play nice!!
He actually really likes Binx (which is shocking because he's not a cat person)...but just thinks he's unattractive. LOL

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these cats are cuties!

Some people might say that our two classic tabbies, Fennimore and Willow are too plain or common to be pretty. They would be wrong. The closest we have to an "unattractive" cat would be Tara, but even that is a stretch. She is a diluted torti and it took me a while to see just how beautiful she is because diluted torties have never been my favorite colors. She is our wack-a-doodle, crazy-eyed, sweetie-pie who needed a lot of love. She often looks like she is plotting someone's death.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never thought Chelsea was that pretty. Her eyes are overly large and she is always mad at something, despite her 10 year indoor pampered life. Nothing has ever been just right for her. My husband calls her "ojos" (eyes in Spanish) or Bette Davis.
Mad chelsea.JPG

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never thought Chelsea was that pretty. Her eyes are overly large and she is always mad at something, despite her 10 year indoor pampered life. Nothing has ever been just right for her. My husband calls her "ojos" (eyes in Spanish) or Bette Davis.View attachment 256839
She reminds me a bit of an overly exaggerated cartoon character, like some sort of Tim Burton concept or something. I like her!
Sirvester has never been much of a looker. He's always been meaty, with a thick neck and large eyes, and a face that's so flat he wheezes. Nice wet slurps as he breaths. (If you squeeze him around the middle he lets out a gust of air that sounds like he's hocking up a loogie) He also has an overbite that makes him look goofy. I love him regardless, but I've never had anyone tell me that he is a pretty cat.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have too many cats - mostly litters from strays born in my yard. The ones with "problems" are special and will stay with me. Some have a difficult personality , others have minor physical defects - likely due to inbreeding. I think we feel responsible to care for these little animals that come into our lives . :catrub:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Sirvester has never been much of a looker. He's always been meaty, with a thick neck and large eyes, and a face that's so flat he wheezes. Nice wet slurps as he breaths. (If you squeeze him around the middle he lets out a gust of air that sounds like he's hocking up a loogie) He also has an overbite that makes him look goofy. I love him regardless, but I've never had anyone tell me that he is a pretty cat.
Sirvester has presence. Look at those whiskers, that magnificent mustache! He looks a bit like Wilford Brimley, the actor.