Anyone Else Had Problems With Fresh Step? Looking To Change Litter...

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a change. I've always loved Fresh Step for its tight clumps and ease of clean up. No after poop odors, and cheap on Chewy too!
But something's changed recently. Instead of getting a single big bag, they started sending me my 40 lbs of litter in 10 lb bags in a case of 4. Since then, this stuff is horrible!!

It doesn't really 'clump' into dry little balls like it used to. Every time a cat pees in it, half the litter is turned into a great big soggy, gooey mess. And when I say half the litter I mean it. I burned through an entire 40 lb case in 2 weeks because I have to refill an empty box every time they pee. It takes ALL the litter in that goo mass! It's like a paper towel. Once it gets wet, it just keeps seeping until everything is soaked.

Not to mention the fact that I actually BROKE a litter scoop trying to scrape this giant cake of thick goo off of my box.

I don't know if I'm the only one struggling with this 'change', but in the meantime I need a new cat litter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Tidy Cats black top (4-in-1 Strength is the official name).

However, if you buy it from Chewy, the bucket doesn't survive the shipping process half the time :/. I buy mine at Walmart, or Petsmart if it's on sale.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Ultra Unscented (less dusty). I buy it locally (not on line) and it comes in a box, not a bag. Tbh, the only bags I have seen available around here that are Fresh Step are NOT clumping. Are you sure they didn't send you non-clumping??

It would be more expensive, but if you can, try buying it from a local store and see if you have the same problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Ultra Unscented (less dusty). I buy it locally (not on line) and it comes in a box, not a bag. Tbh, the only bags I have seen available around here that are Fresh Step are NOT clumping. Are you sure they didn't send you non-clumping??

It would be more expensive, but if you can, try buying it from a local store and see if you have the same problem.
I never had problems when I used boxes from the store, but I've never had problems with the giant bag either. It's only been in the last few months that I've gotten this gooey stuff, and I did double check that it was clumping! It's happened with my last 2 orders.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also use Tidy Cat. However, I'd follow up with Chewy to see if they've had other complains on Fresh Step. Chewy has always gone above & beyond whenever I've called with an issue or to ask questions. You could also call Fresh Step & ask about change or quality control issues. They most likely will offer coupons if you'd like to trying buying from a different source.

I have purchased Tidy Cat from Chewy several times in the plastic buckets (35 lbs i believe) without damage to container. Pretty sure I'm only a few states away from where its shipped though. Chewy has replaced items if they are damaged/unusable when I've had problems.

We've used Tidy Cat for years. It has jumped in price this year (15-20% increase) & we're actually getting it cheaper at Walmart, Target or Petsmart. Keep looking for a sale to stock up, but they are rare.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a change. I've always loved Fresh Step for its tight clumps and ease of clean up. No after poop odors, and cheap on Chewy too!
But something's changed recently. Instead of getting a single big bag, they started sending me my 40 lbs of litter in 10 lb bags in a case of 4. Since then, this stuff is horrible!!

It doesn't really 'clump' into dry little balls like it used to. Every time a cat pees in it, half the litter is turned into a great big soggy, gooey mess. And when I say half the litter I mean it. I burned through an entire 40 lb case in 2 weeks because I have to refill an empty box every time they pee. It takes ALL the litter in that goo mass! It's like a paper towel. Once it gets wet, it just keeps seeping until everything is soaked.

Not to mention the fact that I actually BROKE a litter scoop trying to scrape this giant cake of thick goo off of my box.

I don't know if I'm the only one struggling with this 'change', but in the meantime I need a new cat litter.
Used before.Now use R&R DR.Elseys.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

And I always got the box.U have to b careful Chewy changes out stuff alot

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

I would contact Chewy n also look on the site of chewy at the reviews

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen the 4-pack of Fresh Step at big-box stores, though I don't remember which stores. I assumed it was the same formula in different packaging. So I don't think Chewy messed up.

Does it say it's the same formula on the outer container?

Yeah, I'm sure most Tidy Cats buckets from Chewy do get there undamaged. It's just that every time I've ordered it, the bucket is either cracked or popped open. I think my FedEx guy is a little rough. No biggie, really---I just poured it out of the box into an empty bucket. All the litter was still there so I didn't bug Chewy about it.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal Multi-Cat. Not Slide or lightweight, just regular Clump and Seal. I have a sensitive sense of smell and nine cats who share four litter boxes. Clump and Seal is the only litter that has worked for me. I wish it had less of a perfume smell when I first pour it, but that is a minor complaint that I can live with given its "clumping" and "sealing" properties.

I used to have to scrub out the litter boxes once a week because the smell was so bad, but since switching, I only scrub them out about once a month, and that is more for my own edification than for actual smell. I wipe the exposed parts of the boxes when I scoop, which, honestly, could be enough.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm and Hammer light has a very strong smell. So strong our cat wouldn't go in the room with it. She had trouble sneezing until we switched to Dr. Esley's Ultra. Some bags are more dusty than others, but someone mentioned that some bags are filled from the top of the bin and some from the bottom. Bottom of the bin would be dustier due to crushing of clay with it's own weight.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
They are not good we use it for spooky and sandwich aka sammy it doesnt control the odor i was also thinking of switching to another kind im using armor hammer im really not a fan

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are not good we use it for spooky and sandwich aka sammy it doesnt control the odor i was also thinking of switching to another kind im using armor hammer im really not a fan
I bought some Arm and Hammer too. It smells very strongly of perfume, so much that my entire mudroom stinks of it. But no poopie smell. It doesn't stick to the bottom of my pans which is nice, but its got crumbly clumps...better than that sodden mess though.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Still smells I dumped baking soda in their it kills it for a bit but the stink is bad

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update! I ended up buying a 40 lb box of unscented Arm & Hammer from Chewy and I am very satisfied. It clumps well and doesn't smell at all. Not like perfume, not like poop!

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the arm and hammer slide it works well but still clumps in the box I have to scrape at it but the smell is strong but I want to try the alternative but has any one tried the other kinds like wheat corn or wood clippings for bunny cages

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Really bizarre update. For the past week, the whole house has been developing this strange odor, kind of like...well, dead animal. Really faint but getting stronger. I scoop the cat boxes every day, sometimes twice a day, so I didn't think it was that. Yesterday was 'big clean' day. I dumped the boxes, washed them out, and then filled them with fresh litter.
This evening I came home and holy cheese on a cracker. The smell of DEAD ANIMAL hit me like a ton of bricks. It was horrible. I nearly gagged. I thought maybe a mouse had gotten into my house and died.
When I went to clean the litter box, I was shocked to find that the smell was coming from there. There were two little poops and a wet clump in there...but it seriously smells like something crawled in there and rotted.
I scooped the poops and the smell was still there in the litter, so I dumped it completely. What gives??

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
That's weird I scoop spookys box after she poops it lingers really bad I have to crack the window and it still smells