Anyone else frustrated with litter keepers/lockers?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, when I first got my cat, I tried the doggie bags and a lined step can. Stunk all the time. I got a Litter Genie and never looked back.

Poop smells although many people who feed raw to their cats say that their cats have nearly odorless poop. One of my cats does but the other one has always had stinky poop no matter what kind of raw he eats.

I feel that taking out the litter box waste to the main trash can / dumpster / whatever often is the best way to keep odors down in your home. A container for the waste just holds in the odor and you may still smell it. Open the container to put in more waste and get knocked out by the built up odor :barfgreen:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, they don't eat raw. But they do poop a lot. :crazy:

I looked at diaper genies, but the cost of refills was insane. I'm either going to have to do daily dumpster trips or try scented dog poop bags in a hooded trash can.

It's just as well - even if I was happy with the LC, the cost of refills is a lot on my budget since I go through so many. Poop bags are cheaper.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked at diaper genies, but the cost of refills was insane. I'm either going to have to do daily dumpster trips or try scented dog poop bags in a hooded trash can.

It's just as well - even if I was happy with the LC, the cost of refills is a lot on my budget since I go through so many. Poop bags are cheaper.
I use these refills for Litter Genie, they are inexpensive and work the same as the factory refills. Amazon.com : 4 Pack Refills Fit Litter Genie Pail Waste Disposal Systems for Cats - 21 Feet Extra Long Capacity with Odor Smell Control Protection : Pet Supplies

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using Litter Genies for a couple of years and am mostly satisfied with them. I have three (up until recently 4) cats and multiple litter boxes. Since I use the clumping litter, I don't have to replace all the litter very often, usually just "topping it off" every week or so. But I just changed the litter in the most used box a couple of weeks ago yet notice a strong odor every time I scoop. I'm wondering if the odor isn't coming from the Litter Genie in that room, which I keep near the box. Over time do they absorb the odor? For that matter, I think the plastic litter box does too, and it's time to replace it. So I'm dealing with three possibilities: the Litter Genie needing cleaning and/or replacement, the box needing replacement, or a bag of litter that somehow isn't working as well in terms of odor control as it usually does. Could be all of the above, but I joined this thread because I wondered what other users think about the Litter Genie.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Litter Genies for a couple of years and am mostly satisfied with them. I have three (up until recently 4) cats and multiple litter boxes. Since I use the clumping litter, I don't have to replace all the litter very often, usually just "topping it off" every week or so. But I just changed the litter in the most used box a couple of weeks ago yet notice a strong odor every time I scoop. I'm wondering if the odor isn't coming from the Litter Genie in that room, which I keep near the box. Over time do they absorb the odor? For that matter, I think the plastic litter box does too, and it's time to replace it. So I'm dealing with three possibilities: the Litter Genie needing cleaning and/or replacement, the box needing replacement, or a bag of litter that somehow isn't working as well in terms of odor control as it usually does. Could be all of the above, but I joined this thread because I wondered what other users think about the Litter Genie.
I have been using a Litter Genie for a long time; since 2013. This is my second cat to use one.

In my opinion, the litter boxes do get to a point where they just need to be replaced. I replace mine, with only one cat, about once a year. I dump and clean the box every 3 weeks or so. It really needs to be done that often.

As far as the LG; I am pretty happy with it; although, as with the litter box, It does seem to need to be replaced occasionally.

Each time I dump a load, I wipe it, and the scoop, down with Enzymatic cleaner.

Honestly, I think any plastic absorbs the smells, after time; and need to be replaced.

I live in an apartment building; having a trash room with chute around the corner from my apartment.
It would be more efficient for me to not have the LG, and just dump each scooping; however I would have to making thrice daily trips... I hate trash rooms---nasty things...people are just not as clean as I would expect them to be..

UncleScotty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Years ago, when I first got my cat, I tried the doggie bags and a lined step can. Stunk all the time. I got a Litter Genie and never looked back. Amazon has good deals on the refills for Prime day in July, and I stock up. Have gotten new cans too when there was an included deal. A tip someone posted that I use, is to use small zip ties, instead of making knots. It saves an extra length of bag.
I saw someone mention a DIAPER PAIL somewhere. Sounded damn sensible to me!!