Anyone else frustrated with litter keepers/lockers?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats and can't decide if the work/cost of litter lockers are worth it. I have tried Litter Genie and Litter Champ, and much prefer Litter Champ, however, between the cost of refills and cleaning the actual LC, I am just not sure it is worth it anymore. Plus, it stinks, so I find myself cleaning the LC as much as the litter boxes!

Your thoughts on this conundrum? Seems like little baggies might be easier (like dog poo baggies)?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use plastic grocery bags. I make the rounds cleaning the boxes, then toss the bag in the trash can outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds ideal, but I live in an apartment (quite a ways away from dumpster which is on other side of building). Not that I can't go there, I can, but not as convenient as a litter locker.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a pretty good deal. But how often do you take the trash out?

If I just put the poo baggies in my trash can not sure I could make it until trash day :;)

If I didn't live in an apartment, I would just take the baggies outside daily and dump them in the trash.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I realize I am probably overthinking this, but I am older and not in perfect health - the LC is probably easier than going to the dumpster every day, but I am frustrated with the cost and the smell,

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use plastic grocery store bags.I take the trash out twice daily, once as I head off to work and again before bedtime. I have a trash chute on my floor so it's not a big deal to take the trash out. Going outside to a dumpster is probably a pain unless you're already going out to run errands or something.

Maybe instead of a litter locker, just use a plastic bucket with a locking lid. Fill it with bags of waste and take the bucket out to the dumpster once a week or however often. Maybe line the bucket with a trash bag so you can just pull out the bag when full, tie off, and take to the dumpster. Add a box of baking soda or stick an air freshener to the underside of the lid to keep odors down.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All good ideas; I am also thinking maybe just a covered step can, and I can use scented liners. They are probably just as effective as LG/LC liners and quite inexpensive. Between the poop bags and the scented liners, maybe I could go a few days without making a dumpster trip.

I just cleaned out the LC tonight - it was so gross, lol!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dollar-type stores sell scented trash bags :) The bags tend to be pretty thin though so you may need to use 2 bags to hold up to the weight of litter box clumps.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good point - my furbabies "clumps" are like small cannonballs... :)

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have multiple litterboxes and just prefer having a litter genie by each litter box. If I only had one litter box I’d probably not have them

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 giant litter boxes for my giant cats. :biggrin:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s tough lugging the ziploc bag around 3 litter boxes. I don’t really have any odor coming from mine probably because I have to change the bag more often because I have 6 cats and the get fuller faster. I use the litter genie. The refills are cheapest at Walmart about $11.25 for 2. Maybe you can empty the bag more often so it smells less. I’m not sure how the LC works if it’s like the litter genie.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I gave up on the Litter Locker because of the cost of refills, and frankly, it didn't do a great job keeping odor in. Now I use an "Oscar" type of plastic wastepaper basket - a mini garbage pail - lined with a scented, heavy-duty drawstring plastic bag and discard the bag when it's full. Odor control is much better due to the tight-fitting lid.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, Jcat. I wouldn't begrudge the high cost of the refills if the systems worked that well. But I spend more time cleaning the litter champ than the litter boxes. The stuff just gets in all the nooks and crannies and the stench when I open it is just too much. I don't know what an Oscar can is , I will Google that!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh! Lol! I should have realized that! :)

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All good ideas; I am also thinking maybe just a covered step can, and I can use scented liners. They are probably just as effective as LG/LC liners and quite inexpensive. Between the poop bags and the scented liners, maybe I could go a few days without making a dumpster trip.

I just cleaned out the LC tonight - it was so gross, lol!
Years ago, when I first got my cat, I tried the doggie bags and a lined step can. Stunk all the time. I got a Litter Genie and never looked back. Amazon has good deals on the refills for Prime day in July, and I stock up. Have gotten new cans too when there was an included deal. A tip someone posted that I use, is to use small zip ties, instead of making knots. It saves an extra length of bag.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually did not like the Litter Genie and I threw it out. The poo would get stuck in the first compartment - the sliding tray just didn't seem to push it down. I don't have that problem with the Litter Champ, but I find myself always cleaning it and it doesn't seem to control odor that well.