Anyone Else Allergic To Arugula?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So my boyfriend and I went out to a nice dinner last night at a new restaurant. He got shrimp with an arugula salad and lemon vinaigrette. I asked him how he liked it, and he said he has never been a fan of arugula because it was a little bitter and makes your lips tingle.

I replied, "wait what!? My lips don't tingle/burn when I eat arugula."

I looked it up, and I think he actually has a mild allergic reaction to arugula! I didn't know that was a thing.

:ohwell: Now he'll never eat salads, lol!

Anyone else have this reaction to arugula or other greens, or know someone that does?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kiwis were that way for me. I thought when I was growing up that it was supposed to make your lips tingle and your throat hurt. I didn't realize it was an allergy till I had a worse reaction one time as an adult.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not arugula but my niece has a mild reaction to watermelon and avocado. At least according to her but I don’t know how much I believe it. Her mom has been claiming food sensitivities for my niece since she could walk just because they are common in my family. Not sure if it is a real reaction or one because her mom has convinced her she should have one. She’s getting an allergy test this month so maybe we will know.

I do have some mild reactions to different foods. It’s a hit or miss thing and seems to vary. Ketchup is one that I can only have Heinz brand while BBQ sauces tend to vary. Some salad dressing get me so I stick to honey mustard as a safe option at most places. I’ve had a full body rash as a reaction to something in a spaghetti sauce one time. It seems tomato base is my problem or vinegars most of the time. My dad is allergic to poultry. My grandmother had so many sensitivities that her nursing home made my aunt sign a waiver that we wouldn’t sue if she died from a reaction to something she ate. Not that they didn’t try to avoid her alllergies and sensitivities but to fully avoid them they could only feed her gelatin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend allergic to kiwi, along with mango and papya and other fruits. I think it's funny how when this sensation happens, unless you discuss it you don't know it's not normal. Randall thought everyone had this reaction, and he assumed some people liked it!

I haven't heard about vinegars/tomato, so that's interesting.

I once had a tingly lip reaction to beer ... I was trying a few samples at a small brewery and one of them caused that reaction. But I'm not sure if that's an allergy, or if something happened in the brewing process.