Anyone Doing Raw Or Home Cooked Cat Food?

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is anyone on here feeding their cats raw or home cooked cat food? What are the health benefits your cats have experienced? Please include a few recipes! :):)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed Krista “Rad Cat” (commercial raw) before they went out of business. The benefits were amazing. Her coat was full and silky and didn’t shed. Her poops were perfect and nearly odorless. Her energy. My 14 year old at the time was bounding and playing like a kitten again.

Since Rad Cat went out of business, she’s rejected nearly every recipe I’ve tried with her. I admit I don’t have a grinder so I could definitely step up my game with fresh liver and heart rather than freeze dried or using beef liver. But my poor girl also seems to have an egg sensitivity now. Egg yolk are in most recipes or premixes.

For now, she gets Rawz (“the next best thing to raw”.). I also make her homemade turkey meat stock to help heal her gut, soothe her arthritis, and hopefully reverse some of her food sensitivities when her gut is healed. I cook wings and thighs in water to cover on low in a crockpot for ten hours. The meat falls off the bone but the bones are still very much intact. I strain the liquid, cool it, allow it to set like a gelatin dessert, scrape off the fat layer, and portion it out to ice cube trays. She gets a few teaspoons of lukewarm stock alongside her meals. We learned the hard way last week to not leave the stock out or mix with any more food than what she’ll eat within 30 minutes. Even though stock is a cooked food, I treat it the same as raw. Store it frozen and thaw to serve. Pick up any stock or stock-soaked food not consumed in 30 minutes. The results have been nearly as miraculous as a raw food diet. Maybe this will let us return to a raw diet once more when her IBD leaky gut is repaired with the stock and eggs don’t make her itch and head shake anymore.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How to make meat stock:
Bone Broth Is Excellent Nourishment for Older Pets

The strained liquid after round 1 is the meat stock. It isn’t necessary to do round 2 for bone broth. And in fact, cats with leaky guts like in IBD may also be susceptible to leaky brain barrier making the higher glutamate content in bone broth problematic. Think MSG headaches. Similar.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of good reputable recipes are on:

catinfo.org and feline-nutrition.org

Feeding homemade raw food changed my cats' lives. I have been doing it for over 10 years and the change in their health and energy levels are so worth it.