Anyone Dealt With Lung Cancer Following Mammary Gland Surgery?

GPandS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sandy had surgery in early april for lump I found when I picked her up to put in carrier to get her nails done. Vet checked, and said didn't feel good; so scheduled surgery following week. ended up removing whole chain of mammary glands, due to finding more tumors in all of them. Biopsy was cancer. Kept confined to a (Large) kennel, with cone until incision was fully healed and all staples removed, was out and about finally on may 11th. I did notice her breathing was "off" after the surgery, and she would occasionally "spit up" but I thought may be due to anesthesia , or being confined, or even wearing the cone. she was eating good, and acting normal, other than seeming a bit tired, and the odd breathing on and off. After she was healed enough to be out of kennel and back to her sister, she was ok up until the 18th, then she had a breathing "episode" where she fell down and was gasping, I picked her up and cuddled her, and she seemed normal after a few minutes. which lasted until the following evening o the 19th, where she did it again, and this time did not recover. Her sister alerted me to her being down, and she was licking her trying to revive her ( SO SAD) My vet was out of town, but talked to me and said was most likely cancer in her lungs from the breast cancer. I decided since I couldn't find any help to come to my house, that I would take her to animal urgent care, to help her pass, she was suffering too much. she died in my arms, as we drove to the parking lot. I did take her in to be checked, and they said she had indeed passed away. Has anyone dealt with this after mammary gland surgery? She was spayed very early, so the chances of her even getting this were very low.
sandydate.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Sandy. :alright: RIP little angel girl :angel3:.

I have read some threads on this site with very similar circumstances. I have provided a link to a few threads (below) from other members who have dealt with this in case you want to read them.

I am sure that once other members have time to log on and read through new posts they will respond to you and share with you their first hand experiences.

Cat Coughing Only Between 2-6am

Lung cancer

Need Help Thank You

There is a section on this site called Crossing The Bridge, where members pay homage to their lost loved ones with memories/stories/pictures. If/when you are ready, please consider sharing with us a loving tribute to Sandy.

Again, I am so sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so, so sorry for your loss of that beautiful girl! Sandy was, is, and will always be, gorgeous.

This has certainly happened before, and probably countless times, if we but knew about it. Cancer is a nasty disease, and it does metastisize, migrate to other places, very frequently in both animals and humans. The important thing to know is that there is nothing that you did or did not do to cause this, or to hasten it or make it worse. It is the filthy nature of the disease.

My heart with yours.