anyone collected cats urine sample at home?

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats that need their urine checked and they have both seen 2 different vets. Both of my cats have very dilute urine, only one seems to throw up stomach acid if she does not eat often enough. One vet said it's ok to collect urine at home, the other one said they do not recommend it. I would like to try getting the urine at home because I have to take each cat on a trip on the bus and would prefer not to bring them in again. Also, leaving them overnight is expensive. Is getting their pee at home pointless? Are some vets able to check the pee more easily? Maybe have access to lab or more equipment or something? Has anyone ever done this? If so what was your experience? For both cats, this would be like a urine recheck, both vets have concluded that my cats have something going wrong with their kidneys. Both of my cats are normal weight, with good appetite. They do pee a lot, but do not drink water excessively. I add water to their food, and only feed wet and use dry as a treat. Both would be considered in early stage kidney disease, I think. Also, when is k/d food necessary or is it at all?

Last edited:

charrrlottte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me the supplies to collect a urine sample at home for 5$, and just suggested that I come in and get it tested within 30 mins of collecting it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanx, charrrlottte charrrlottte so was your vet able to get results? What did your vet give u to get sample? It would be very hard to get a sample to vet in 30 minutes.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was given a special bag of litter (by the vet) to enable me to collect my cats urine from her litter tray, but my cat refused to use it! I took her back to the vet and she used a catheter to collect some urine, so I guess either method is acceptable with my vet. However if they are suspecting kidney issues they will take a blood sample too! I think if you are using the 'special litter' method make sure you have plenty, my cat has a huge litter tray with deep litter. The bag of litter I was given hardly covered the tray, my cat must have thought '***' lol

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reason you're getting conflicting information about home collection is because it's ok for some tests and not others. For example, collecting urine at home to test for crystals is pointless, as crystals will start to form in the collection bottle anyway. Asha had to have urine tested for (I believe) diabetes and kidney problems. It wasn't even suggested that the vets would need to admit her to take a sample.

Hope that helps. I'm sorry your two may have ckd. I'm afraid I've no experience there. From what I've seen on TCS though, it seems like low phosphorus good is key. There are non prescription brands that a low phosphorus, but it does seem like they're hard to find. If you want to try non prescription, ask your vet what level of phosphorus is ok for them to have, so you know what to look for.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My sister's cat was drinking and peeing a lot, and losing weight. The vet gave them the special litter and the cat used it. I'm pretty sure they didn't take the "specimen" back till the morning. They also did a blood test.  Turned out he had thyroid issues and was put on medication, which helped quite quickly.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone who wrote in. rubysmama rubysmama one of my cats might also have thyroid issues, but vet says to check that in 3 or 4 months. strange thing is it's the younger one, she's only 2 or 3. Both cats would be checked for probably beginning stage kidney disease. Then it seems there is not treatment for that anyway so why am I checking again? Both of my cats have already had full bloodwork, the kind for senior cats, that's more expensive. From what I understand there is not treatment for kidney disease this stage yet anyway. Just try to feed lower phosphorous and frequent meals, extra water. They both are not very sick yet. How often am I supposed to check their pee and bloodwork with kidney disease anyway? Probably I will just end up going to the vet that says it's ok to bring the pee in. Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences.

charrrlottte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I will be collecting the sample tomorrow, as I work until 4, and Wed is the only day that my vet is open late. They gave me a "sand" to put in his freshly washed litter box that is completely non-absorbent, so the pee will be easy to collect using a syringe, and then place in a sterile vile. They suggested that if I was unable to bring it in within 30 mins, that I should place it in the fridge, since crystals tend to forum once the urine is outside of their body, and therefor can give an altered reading/analysis.  

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
charrrlottte charrrlottte you are lucky, wish this vet hD recommended it, probably going to swytch this cat to the one that let's me bring their pee in. Just wondered if it is common and works. Thanks for sharing

kokomonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Might be too late, but I had to collect once for my last cat and my vet suggested this method after giving me a vial and dropper: completely cover the litter box with saran wrap, make sure it's tight so they can't dig it up and it's not lose or bulky.  They can still feel the litter and apparently still think they're using litter and do their business.  Then use the dropper to collect the urine into the vial (or jar or whatever).  Then CAREFULLY gather and dispose of the saran.  It worked beautifully for me; then again Munchkin didn't really bury her business.  I don't know if it would with my current beasts or not since they tend to love to throw litter about.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to refrigerate it once collected. It won't be as sterile as a vet obtained one and the crystals reading may be higher since as soon as 30 minutes after collection things start to change once the urine has left the bladder.

Last edited:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanx N nansiludie and kokomonster kokomonster for the tips. Now must decide what to do. Either way it seems I must bring this cat In to the vet again although she just went. hers won't take a sample from home. Then in order to bring a sample from home to my other cats vet (the one who says sample ok )would need to bring her in as new patient anyway. This is so complicated. Is there a point to this even? My cats seem fine but they pee a lot, it's very dilute. I'm just not sure there is anything a vet will do anyway. Wouldn't a kidney or bladder infection have more dramatic symptoms? Just I remember all the pointless tests I did with my last cat for a year only to finally get a diagnosis she was going to die and nothing I could do anyway. With kidney disease, from what I understand there is not much I can do either. Should I really torture these cats with more bus rides?

Last edited:

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a product I used once to get a home urine sample:  http://www.kit4cat.com/  The sand is like real sand (not so much like cat litter) and it comes with a little vial to collect the urine.  Worked will for me but with a deep litter box I had to fill it and cover with plastic I think, then put this sand on top.  I wish I could remember exactly what I did.  I think I put real cat litter inside plastic Ziploc freezer bags, thinking she probably wouldn't scratch through those.  Then put this sand on top.  It's a very small amount of sand so with a larger litter box it may or may not be enough for the cat to be satisfied, but my trick worked.  It's true that if you put  the litter in plastic you may not need this sand kit anyway.  I think it costs about $15.

As for whether or not the urine test is necessary, it's probably a good idea with kidney disease, although I don't recall what it really tests for.  That is what I did my home collection for, and the test didn't show anything wrong.  Sometimes they get an infection, I suppose, which the urine test might find.  But there are things you can do for kidney disease, like fluid therapy at home and so forth, to help the cat feel better longer.  I'm not sure how many bus rides you should torture them with and how often, but it is something to keep in mind.  The amount of time a cat lives after a kidney disease diagnosis varies widely, from a few months to a few years, and the latter is helped along by having fluid therapy to keep the cat comfortable.  Special foods and such are usually secondary but may also help.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@chalupa   Are you using two vets? Is there a reason for that? I think it may be best to take her to the clinic that will not accept a home-taken urine sample, if she has urine in her bladder they can aspirate it with a very fine needle, it sounds painful but its not actually that bad, that way it will be sterile and can be run right away. I think you'd get the truest results that way. I'm very sorry for the loss of your other kitty. Rest in peace sweet kitty.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi N nansiludie thanx for the tip though still not sure what is the most practical thing to do so putting it off. Good to know you think the vet that will not except the home sample is better. The vets I go to are minutes away from each other.. One of the vets I went to so many times last year with my last sick cat that kind of felt they were sick of me, and felt sad going there when I brought my new adopted senior there for wellness exam in summer. Also my main vet from last year Has a serious illness now and may not be available as much anymore. So tried the vets down the street. do believe the vet from last year is more skilled, they handle emergencies and do ultrasounds, where this new vet does not. new hospital seems calmer and vet more patient, they have twice as many vets there too. I'm not sure what to do sorry for long explanation. Thanx again

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2bcat 2bcat thanx for the idea with Saran Wrap. I will run it by the vet who is against the home sample idea to see what she thinks.