Anybody still use Bisquick?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped cooking now, but I used to love Bisquick, especially when a girlfriend told me there is a lower-fat variety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the recipe: (You can also find it here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238206/pies-and-pastries#post_3612769  )

CREATE-A-CRUST APPLE PIE                              

2 medium all-purpose apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (depending on the size of your apples, you can use three)          

1 tablespoon lemon juice                      

1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons biscuit baking mix  

14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)              

1-1/2 cups water

3 eggs

1/4 cup softened margarine/butter

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I use a little over a teaspoon)

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Crumb Topping (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss apples with lemon juice and 2 tablespoons biscuit mix, then arrange in bottom of buttered 10-inch deep dish pie pan.

In blender, combine remaining ingredients, except Crumb Topping. Blend on low speed 3 minutes; let stand 5 minutes. Pour over prepared apples.

Top with Crumb Topping. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.

Crumb Topping: In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup biscuit baking mix and 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine until crumbly. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. If desired, add 1/4 cup chopped nuts. 

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got my copy of "Impossibly Easy Pies" using Bisquick!  Wonderful recipe book, and I've added Bisquick and milk to my shopping list!  If anyone wants recipes, HOLLER!!!  There's everything in the world in there, including CHEESECAKES!  WHOO HOO

~mutters to self~ I am so gonna gain all my weight back!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just got my copy of "Impossibly Easy Pies" using Bisquick!  Wonderful recipe book, and I've added Bisquick and milk to my shopping list!  If anyone wants recipes, HOLLER!!!  There's everything in the world in there, including CHEESECAKES!  WHOO HOO

~mutters to self~ I am so gonna gain all my weight back!
It is the best.  

I used to be known as the Queen of Bisquick. LOL - I got a small 8 page book/pamphlet out of my moms Good Housekeeping magazine back in the 70's/80's and it's been my go to ever since.

One of my favorite is the Zucchini Pie and the Impossible Coconut Cream Pie.

The best thing is you can change the recipes around to suit your taste.

Have fun.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

It is the best.  

I used to be known as the Queen of Bisquick. LOL - I got a small 8 page book/pamphlet out of my moms Good Housekeeping magazine back in the 70's/80's and it's been my go to ever since.

One of my favorite is the Zucchini Pie and the Impossible Coconut Cream Pie.

The best thing is you can change the recipes around to suit your taste.

Have fun.
I have company coming in April, and am planning on using at LEAST one of the recipes for a quick, tasty meal with minimal prep.  ALWAYS good when you have houseguests!  And one of the cheesecakes, as well!

rampionrampage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can't live without Gluten-Free Bisquick --- boyfriend has a bunch of allergies and this is stuff that helps me with, "I don't actually like cooking omg help me" issues. ;) Cheaper than having to follow recipes that want me to grind eight different flours and use all kinds of stuff that is... well... my boyfriend prefers kid-friendly stuff, for lack of a better term.

I use with almond milk instead of dairy, and flaxseed meal/water instead of eggs... works not so bad. Nothing beats the real thing, though. :-/

I have a bunch of quick and easy standbys because of this so I use it weekly. Sometimes 2x a week.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have company coming in April, and am planning on using at LEAST one of the recipes for a quick, tasty meal with minimal prep.  ALWAYS good when you have houseguests!  And one of the cheesecakes, as well!
I cook everyday.  I'm so lucky that I have great Asian markets in my neighborhood with really cheap veggies.  I just picked up 6 lbs of brussell sprouts for 2 bucks.  I was going to change up the zucchini pie with the sprouts and use bacon, onion and shredded swiss/asiago combo and bring it to my friends.  I'll brown the sprouts, onion and bacon first then add.

@RampionRampage  - My husband has the palate of an 8 year old so it makes cooking healthy dishes near impossible, so I know how you feel.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

He's not on a restricted diet.  If it were up to him he'd eat a cheeseburger a day with a side of pizza. LOL  Thanks goodness hes not an over eater. LOL
I had one like that.  And the sad thing was that he was a very talented chef.  Yes, passed the test and everything.  Could have lived on snack foods.  
  The cobbler's children have no shoes.

Last edited:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Bisquick also makes decent sticky buns. Mix butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (crisped if you want them really good), and apportion it among the spots in a greased muffin tin. Mix up biscuit dough and drop it on top of sticky mixture. Bake. Allow to cool slightly and turn out. 

Or roll out the dough into a rectangle. Mix butter, white and brown sugar, and cinnamon and spread over the rectangle to within one inch of the sides. Top with lots of raisins and chopped nuts (again, crisped if you want to take the time). Starting at the long side, tightly roll up. Seal edges with a little water or milk. Place seam side down. Slice into 1 1/2" thick rounds and bake. Not Cinnabon quality, but a lot quicker, and cheaper, too.

Mix 1 1/2 C. Bisquick with 1 pound spicy sausage. Roll into small balls and bake at 350 degrees until brown. You can add other ingredients to the mix if you like. Use Italian sausage, a mix of hot and mild, and Italian seasoning. Dip in heated marinara sauce. Add cheese to the sausage. The possibilities are endless.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
>SNIP<

Mix1 1/2 C. Bisquick with 1 pound spicy sausage. Roll into small balls and bake at 350 degrees until brown. You can add other ingredients to the mix if you like. Use Italian sausage, a mix of hot and mild, and Italian seasoning. Dip in heated marinara sauce. Add cheese to the sausage. The possibilities are endless.
OH FLIPPIN YUM!!!  Just the plain mix?  No wet ingredients?  I am going to DO THIS!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use Bisquick to make biscuits, until I learned how to make the flaky kind from scratch.

But dang it, ever since I stumbled across this thread, I've had a fierce craving for those little sausage cheese balls I used to make for Thanksgiving. And tomorrow is grocery day...

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love Bisquick! I use it all the time. Just mix it with a little milk and it makes really good dumplings for chicken and dumplings or sauerkraut.