Anybody still use Bisquick?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Among other things, Bisquick was famous for its "Create-a-Crust" pies. You could make a cheeseburger pie, mix the ingredients together and, as it baked, it would make its own crust.  One of those pies was a Create-A-Crust Apple Pie. So simple, a few ingredients: Bisquick, apples, Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, eggs, butter, vanilla. A crumb topping with lots of cinnamon. That was one of our son's absolute favorite pies; he always asked for it for Christmas when he was little and it was always a birthday request. No cake, just that pie. I used to make it fairly often for the guys. It's absurdly easy and made from ingredients that were always hanging around in the kitchen anyway. I have a stoneware "deep dish" baking dish, about 10 inches in diameter and that's the pan I always use for the pie.

Well, I was puttering about in the kitchen yesterday. I keep Bisquick on hand because it comes in handy from time to time., but I don't use it that often anymore. Saw the box in the pantry and figured, oh why not? So I threw together the apple pie and popped it in the oven. 

Oh, man, was that pie ever good. Rick came home from work and when he was putting his stuff away, he got into the fridge. He saw the pie and he was smiling when he looked over at me. He loved it, too.

Anybody else still use Bisquick?

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do. Once in a while I will make the impossible cheeseburger pie. Or I use it to make biscuits or dumplings.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy the gluten free sometimes. Whenever I feel smart, I use it for waffles, etc.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Once every few years I come across a recipe that I want to try that uses it. :nod:

This is a good recipe -

Broccoli Squares

2 packages frozen chopped broccoli
2 cups cooked, diced ham
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup Bisquick
3 cups milk
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F . Cook broccoli, drain and spread in the bottom of 9" x 13" greased baking pan. Layer ham, then cheese. Combine remaining ingredients, pour in pan, Bake 1 hour.

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Aunt Dorothy My Godmother who passed recently made a Zucchini pizza with Bisquick it is at every family picnic, wedding, shower, funeral.. sorry every event in my family, My cousin just gave me the handwritten card her mom made many many years ago.. i will make this it wont taste like hers.. but i will! It is so delicious!!! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once every few years I come across a recipe that I want to try that uses it. :nod:

This is a good recipe -

Broccoli Squares

2 cups cooked, diced ham
1 cup Bisquick
3 cups milk
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F . Cook broccoli, drain and spread in the bottom of 9" x 13" greased baking pan. Layer ham, then cheese. Combine remaining ingredients, pour in pan, Bake 1 hour.
AbbysMom AbbysMom This recipe sounds like a keeper. I am going to save it and try this soon. It would be something great for a church dinner.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do sometime. Recently I used it to make biscuits/dumplings for the topping of a chicken casserole.  Doctored them up with some chives and they were perfect.

I do drop biscuits with them also - I'm a lazy baker and while I could just buy pre-made snap-them-open types, they are full of all kinds of ingredients I dislike eating (other than the Simply brand which isn't easy to find). Making them home made with Bisquick reduces the effort substantially.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once every few years I come across a recipe that I want to try that uses it.

This is a good recipe -

Broccoli Squares

2 cups cooked, diced ham
1 cup Bisquick
3 cups milk
4 eggs

OMG I am saving this also. Sound so good!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I would be interested in seeing that too. I could use the gluten free mix and have myself a good dessert. We will be waiting. :lol3:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
  I haven't baked anything yummy in months..gonna try your recipe Winchester..so all's us will have baking apples in our homes! And eat these apples together even though we are on different ends of the country/world!

and also that broccoli and ham recipe-I could bake those both together= easy peasy! I like easy stuff! cause I am lazy..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Bisquick. I've been using it since the 80's. I don't use it often anymore but it's pretty good stuff. I remember using it in Home Ec class in HS. We were also taught to make homemade Bisquick. 

The broccoli squares and the zucchini pizza sound quite good. I'll need to try those. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot all about Bisquick.. I never used it much.. perhaps I should try it now, since I am so lazy about cooking for myself...

Have to put it on my next shopping list..... and remind myself to use it!! 

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If u make this whats NOT on the card is the cheese she used is Parmigiano-Reggiano and u have to squeeze drain the liquid out of the zucchini.. it freezes very well,