Anybody know a good otc for giardiasis? Dolly has the scoot’s

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor dolly, my one rescue that will drink water out of anything! I know I’ve had skunks, raccoons and opossums drinking out of the water bowls as they hunt the yard for food. So I need a good over the counter antibiotic to try to cure her diarrhea.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this article on giardiasis (see link below), which might be helpful in determining how you choose to treat Dolly (and, more than likely any other cats you have). It really would be best if you can collect a sample of her stool, and have it tested by your vet to ensure that giardiasis is the actual issue. Most vets will accept a sample for testing without seeing the cat, but you would need to confirm your vet is one of those that do. Further, if you have a good rapport with your vet and you are pretty sure this is a case of giardiasis, your vet might prescribe treatment without performing a fecal test.

Once diarrhea is occurring, it is highly likely your poor cat is also experiencing stomach cramping which can be pretty uncomfortable/painful. And, as I understand it, it easily passed from cat to cat, so it is likely you would need to treat all of your cats at once to help avoid it being passed back and forth. Asymptomatic cats are also capable of spreading it.
Giardiasis In Cats: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment - All About Cats

Any chance of removing the water bowl at least at night to help stop wildlife from getting to it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
took her to the vet: diagnosed gastroenteritis, fecal test, a shot and $166….were done hopefully

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing just fine, no worries :)

Let us know how things go :vibes::crossfingers::grouphug2::heartshape:

Last edited by a moderator: