Anybody have luck making pate (not puree) from canned chunky foods?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby only likes pates, but that limits her food options. I tried using the Magic Bullet blender, but all I get is soup with meat lumps in it. She doesn't like the soup consistency nor does she like the lumps.

I am guessing there is no such blender/mixer out there that will eliminate the chunks and still maintain a pate like consistency, but thought I would ask anyway. For reference, she does not like mousse, if that helps to explain my quandary.

Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With raw meat, I found out it's better to grind it as cold as possible else it turns to pink slime in the grinder/food processor. I wonder if the same would hold true with canned food. I would put a can in the freezer for a couple of hours. (Set an alarm so you don't forget it.) Run that through the blender to get a more uniform grind. You may also want to experiment with mixing in gelatin and letting it firm up a bit in the fridge. I used 1.5 tsp per 1 lbs of meat (454 grams) so perhaps 1/2 tsp for a 5.5 oz can (156 g) would be a good place to start. It's a lot of work. But if that's what keeps Feeby eating. Perhaps you could make up a batch with several cans at once. You can defrost a portion from the fridge before serving inside a plastic baggie under hot water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may also want to experiment with mixing in gelatin and letting it firm up a bit in the fridge.
What kind of gelatin? Does gelatin lose 'firmness' once warmed to room temp? I could experiment with some sort of gelatin added to the soupy concoctions I get out of the blending process...

My only problem is that it now seems I have to avoid feeding her the same food within a 10-14 day period, so bulk blending and freezing might end up being an issue. I'd have a whole lot of baggies of food to freeze, store, and thaw. Would it be wise to freeze for more than two weeks before using?

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of gelatin? Does gelatin lose 'firmness' once warmed to room temp? I could experiment with some sort of gelatin added to the soupy connections I get out of the blending process...

My only problem is that it now seems I have to avoid feeding her the same food within a 10-14 day period, so bulk blending and freezing might end up being an issue. I'd have a whole lot of baggies of food to freeze, store, and thaw. Would it be wise to freeze for more than two weeks before using?
Unflavored gelatin. I honestly don't know what impact it may have because I never made a batch without it.

I used to make a month worth of food at a time. I weighed the portions ahead of time into baggies and then froze the whole batch of them. When I could remember (or be bothered about it), I would transfer the next day's meals from freezer to fridge the night before. I pressed the food flat as I could in the baggies before sealing and freezing them. This greatly improved the thaw time making it easy to go from freezer to plate under 30 seconds or so of hot water.

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So depending on what brand of food your feeding you can’t really get the pate texture. If your using a cuts in broth or in gravy type food, it probably has some sort of binder that makes it not turn into mush in the gravy/broth it’s packed in. Thus why it comes out liquidy and lumpy.
Is there any reason you haven’t been able to find a pate she likes?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What if you mixed a can or two of pate food with a blended food? :think:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So depending on what brand of food your feeding you can’t really get the pate texture. If your using a cuts in broth or in gravy type food, it probably has some sort of binder that makes it not turn into mush in the gravy/broth it’s packed in. Thus why it comes out liquidy and lumpy. Is there any reason you haven’t been able to find a pate she likes?
I am running through all the pates that I am willing to feed her. She now needs at least 10-14 days of foods to rotate through or she stops eating them if they are presented to her more frequently. I also noticed many of the pates are higher in phosphorus, and would like to feed her some foods with less, at least some of the time.
What if you mixed a can or two of pate food with a blended food? :think:
I haven't tried that yet, as I was hoping to avoid using multiple cans of food at one time due to the waste and/or freeze factor. 3 cans of food mixed together - if it would work consistency-wise - would mean freezing at least 2/3 of it for use sometime a week+ down the road (see comment above about 'repeat' foods).

As was suggested above, I am going to try adding unflavored gelatin to a non-pate after it has been blended and see what happens.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am running through all the pates that I am willing to feed her. She now needs at least 10-14 days of foods to rotate through or she stops eating them if they are presented to her more frequently. I also noticed many of the pates are higher in phosphorus, and would like to feed her some foods with less, at least some of the time.

I haven't tried that yet, as I was hoping to avoid using multiple cans of food at one time due to the waste and/or freeze factor. 3 cans of food mixed together - if it would work consistency-wise - would mean freezing at least 2/3 of it for use sometime a week+ down the road (see comment above about 'repeat' foods).

As was suggested above, I am going to try adding unflavored gelatin to a non-pate after it has been blended and see what happens.
Boone and Gracie are the same way. I buy 14 varieties and just cycle through them weekly. Lasts me 6-8 weeks depending on the size of the can but at least I don't have picky eaters on my hands anymore.

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maybe you can mash in a mixing bowl then pack it into an ice cube tray?or use one of those meat grinder things they use to make sausages?
I have a small chopper/processor just for the cat food I grind till as smooth as possible and my girl usually eats it fine.