Anybody from Canada?

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sis is going to emigrate to Canada. She has an elderly cat showing symptoms of arthritis so she started looking at cat supplies in Canada online hoping to order stuff including a low entry litter box in advance to be delivered to her new house in Canada, then she found out there are very limited choices online and whatever they’ve are Uber expensive. I tried searching online myself for her a bit and had to agreed I couldn’t find cheap cat supplies online for her either. I live in the US myself and I found what I can find here are either not available online for Canada, or are very expensive. Is online shopping for pets not a thing in Canada? What are some good online and brick and mortar pet supplies stores in Canada - and specifically my sister is going to settle in Vancouver, British Columbia. Many thanks for any tips from Canadian pet owners out there!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Ontario Canada, and I have yet to find online options for inexpensive pet supplies. I guess Amazon might have some, but then you have to be careful of shipping and potential border fees.
Pet Value is one company that is Canadian, and also has online shopping...but I haven't used it's online option as the brick and mortar store is near me. So I'm not sure of their shipping costs.
We also have PetSmart here and of course Walmart...both of which have online options.
As for litter boxes....I refuse to buy them....they are way too expensive...it's a plastic bin!!!!! :lol: :rolleyes3:
I use storage totes for my litter boxes. The one's I use are the sterilite brand that can be found at Canadian Tire...unsure of other sources, as the Canadian Tire store is also near me, so I haven't bothered to look elsewhere.

It sucks...there are a few products that I've wanted to get only to find out I can't get them in Canada or have to pay ridiculous fees for getting them....nope.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Szewan Szewan
Might turn out to be easiest and less expensive for you to buy some supplies in the US and ship or bring to her. Are you in the northeast US? I am not in Canada but I have seen posts mentioning expense and more limited options.
A low level plastic storage box may be the easiest to use if she cannot find the type of box she wants.

(edit, just seen you are in NY, so my idea of transport is not practical but she herself can probably drive over the border from time to time to pick things up not available where she is - as easy from Vancouver.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for tagging me V verna davies :)

What are some good online and brick and mortar pet supplies stores in Canada - and specifically my sister is going to settle in Vancouver, British Columbia. Many thanks for any tips from Canadian pet owners out there!
Most of the cat supplies I've bought for Ruby I've gotten at brick and mortar stores. I do order Ruby's cat food, but it is veterinary food, so I order it from the vet's online store.

Litter boxes I get at Canadian Tire, but as I want a high sided one, I've not looked at the low sided ones.

I have recently been ordering various things from Walmart, and as long as you spend $35 you get free shipping. I've had no problems with them, and orders arrive quickly and usually earlier than expected.

Just make sure you click the "sold and shipped by Walmart" tab.

Here's a low litter box at Walmart that might work. It's 12 cm high, which is about 4.75 inches. It might also be available in store.
Van Ness Large CAT Litter Pan | Walmart Canada

One thing I do order online from Walmart is Litter Box Wipes. I love them, and will stock up on them, if I need to reach the $35 threshold. Petkin Litter Box Wipes - 40ct | Walmart Canada

They also seem to sell kitty litter online, so if that was added to an order, and maybe some cat toys it probably wouldn't be too hard to reach the $35.

Petsmart.ca also has online shipping, but you have to spend $49 for free shipping.

I use Arm & Hammer litter, and usually buy it at Sobeys, when I'm getting my grocery order.

With the CAD/USD exchange rate, and customs charges, ordering anything from the US is going to be very expensive, so something I've never done.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise