Anybody elses furball enjoy eating bugs?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back when I used to breed dubia roaches and super worms, specter would chase down whoever got loose from the containers and attempt to eat them.....Or just stomp on them.... Until a superworm bit her, now she doesn't eat anything resembling a worm. But she goes mad for regular old flies, crickets, grasshoppers, and will try to eat them as quickly as possible so I don't take it from her! Eating flies is our main source of one sided arguments and debates. Is this normal? Most of the cats I've met quit after they actually attempt to eat bugs and realize they taste terrible but specter oh possum would eat a bowl of flies if I let her!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine will do the ick ick ick thing at flies but not really noticed any of them eating them.

I do think that something may have stung or caught Anubis on his lip, it looks a bit sore but he won't let me inspect it, he doesn't like being held still.... I will keep an eye on it and see if it clears up.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, my girlfriend had a cat named Bagheera, after The Jungle Book black panther. He loved bugs! We started calling him Bug Eater rather than Bagheera, sometimes! This clip is not him, but a cute video. I love the expression on the cat's face after his successful hunt!

96ae53c442f0ae0a69b03cd10a4fb506.gif

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will hunt and eat anything that's flying around. They find pantry moths and stink bugs particularly choice, although the stink bugs don't seem to taste all that good to them after they're caught. I guess it's the thrill of the chase.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
They all chased and ate bugs when they were little. Lily still polishes them off pretty quickly, especially spiders. She LOVED the miller moths that would get into the house when we lived in Colorado. It wasn’t unusual to see her with a wing or two hanging from her mouth! :lol: The other two like to follow the spiders around and pat or smack them. They don’t eat them, but it doesn’t make much difference for the spider in the end. Being smacked by a big paw when you’re a little spider doesn’t end well for you.:)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patches loves to eat spiders and flies so much he meows at them if he can't reach them or if they are outside on the windows. He's even tried jumping from the top of the kitchen cupboard to the light to catch a fly. All sense goes when he sees one.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
All the cats I've had have eaten bugs. I think it's pretty normal. Gross but not really a concern unless they are chasing a wasp or bee. My old cat got stung by a wasp after one got in the house and her face was all puffy.

Last edited:

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I find this behavior makes me squeamish. I read somewhere that flesh flies can cause stomach upset in cats. Yesterday Lucca caught and brought into the house a moth that looked like a small butterfly. He chased and batted around the house. He even growled at Jemima if she got too close. I felt bad for the bug because I think it wintered over in my garage 😕

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For minish it's the hunt and catch just like toys but more fun. She tried eating a moth when she was young but after trying hard to spit out the wings that stuck in her tongue she never tried to eat the catches again.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue caught and ate a huntman spider one day..they are the size of your hand and the sight of him crunching away on it with these legs wriggling out the side of his mouth..I nearly threw up. :barf: