anybody else like snakes?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh I am one of those, that snakes scare me so much, but I try not to be scared. I think its amazing when I see people interacting with snakes with no fear.

I cant believe you have a snake in your house, Eva, good for you.

Its funny that you have snakes named Jim and Pam (after me and my SO)

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I cant believe you have a snake in your house, Eva, good for you.
It's not so bad. I'm getting better and better in handling her as well. Watching her eat isn't high on my list of favorite things to do though.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

It's not so bad. I'm getting better and better in handling her as well. Watching her eat isn't high on my list of favorite things to do though.
Oh feeding is something I KNOW I couldnt be a part of, but they have to eat, too, so....

Will she grow to be big like the other snakes in this thread? Someone told me that all snakes have personalities, some really sweet and some can be mean, just like any living creature. So does that mean, the snake likes to interact with the family and just hang out? Do they like to interact with other animals, as well?

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Oh feeding is something I KNOW I couldnt be a part of, but they have to eat, too, so....

Will she grow to be big like the other snakes in this thread? Someone told me that all snakes have personalities, some really sweet and some can be mean, just like any living creature. So does that mean, the snake likes to interact with the family and just hang out? Do they like to interact with other animals, as well?
She will grow anywhere from 3 to 5 feet. I'm not sure if she will be as round as the others though. Everything we've read indicates about 4.5 feet.
As far as personalities, yes I believe they do. We had a choice between two snakes. One was extremely upset and wrapped so tightly in a ball that you really couldn't look at it's eyes or anything. The snake we chose moved all over the enclosure, had a steady feeding chart and allowed us to check out all the things we needed to about eyes, mites and things.
She/he is still that way today.

I don't allow my other animals any contact with the snake. My dogs don't like snakes and I know Takoda and Magnum with think it's an interactive toy for them to play with. 95 percent of the time she stays in my sons room in her habitat. Once a week she is fed and he's aways misting and changing the water. Chris will take her out and let her roam on him while he is either playing games or homework for additional exercise. But that is really the only interaction she has with family. I will hold her and check her over making sure her shed is complete, eyes are clear and no discharge from her nose or mouth.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago I knew this couple who had this huge snake that they daily let her out of her container to roam all over their apartment and would even let her sleep in the bed with them at night, sometimes.

They were always trying to get me to "get to know" her, but I was so terrified. I would ask them to please have her up, if I was coming over. A few times, they said they did, but they didnt and as soon as I would see her container empty, panick would set in, knowing this HUGE snake was somewhere around me slithering around. I would just have to leave.

They loved her so much and use to talk about how funny she was. She was their baby, but I could never get past the point that she was a snake and it always literally terrified me.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad is absolutely terrified of snakes. I was very worried he would never come back into our home if we purchased a snake. He agreed he would continue to come over as long as we agreed to a few RULES. We would never let her out while he was visiting. We wouldn't force him to touch her. As long as we don't try to trick him he will continue to visit.

He had a very bad experience in the shower in Thailand with a cobra back in the 60's.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I can imagine he had a terrifying experience.

When I was growing up, we moved into our home that was in a new development, that had a lot of woods around it. One of us walked into the living room and there was a copperhead in the floor. My Mother freaked out and as result, we all did. I think that is where my fear started.