Any Vacuum suggestions?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
hey all.

I have an Eureka vacuum for pets (forget exactly which one, I can post it when I head home for lunch to get the exact kind).. and it works great on my carpet and bathroom/kitchen throw rug.

However, it's terrible on my hard floors. Even adjusting the brush accordingly, it kicks back the litter and fur (and hurts if I wear shorts!) .I am tired of switching vacuums when I want to clean (I also have a Dirt Devil stick vacuum that's great on hard floors, but terrible on carpets! though I do like how it's small and compact to get to corners and hard to reach places)

I am looking into getting one vacuum that works wonders on carpet and hard floors alike. One thats, obviously, perfect for pet hair and dander. One that preferably has a HEPA filter. One that's not too big/bulky or heavy as I am in a small apartment.

Aside from the Dyson which is out of my price range.. does anyone have any suggestions? I am considering the Hoover Windtunnel air, but I'd like to hear your suggestions and experiences!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l have an 8 year old Panasonic that is exactly like this one:

https://panasonic.ca/english/appliance/vacuum/upright/MCUG471.asp#.UCkuHJ2PV8E

except mine's blue.

l bought it for $199 in a hurry 8 years ago when my previous one blew up.

l bought it thinking it would be a secondary vacuum to a better one when l had time to really go out and shop for one l wanted. This one turned out to be great. lt's bagless (but fills too quickly with pets), has a HEPA filter, has a carpet/hard floor adjustment (stops spinning and lowers) and a quick-use pipe that l use all the time. l have carpets, ceramic, and hardwood, and l haven't needed to buy another vac.

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Bissell that I got for around $80, bagless, HEPA filter, pet hair attachment for the wand. I use it on hardwood floors, the rugs and the upholstery.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few different vacuums. The last was a Dyson, and I swear, I'll never use another vacuum ever again.

I know they are pricey! I was fortunate enough to have enough air miles that I got mine 100% free.  However, you can find refurbished ones for pretty reasonable.  Check with your local vacuum shops, or eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Vacuum-Cleaners-/20614/i.html?_nkw=dyson

I also hear that the Shark Navigator is a pretty decent cyclonic vacuum (around $200) that is apparently rivaling the Dyson.  I think you can buy them at Target and Home Depot.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Euro_Pro_NV22_Shark_Navigator_Vacuum/content_508247772804?sb=1

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks everyone!

I just looked at the shark, and so far I am liking that one. They sell at Bed Bath and Beyond, and I have a 20% coupon

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone!

I just looked at the shark, and so far I am liking that one. They sell at Bed Bath and Beyond, and I have a 20% coupon
I saw an informercial for Shark vacuum, and I was pretty impressed.  And from the reviews I've read on line, most are quite favourable.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Shark Navigator and I absolutely love it!  Found mine on sale at Kohl's, and had a 20% off coupon.  I think I paid a grand total of $135.  I was stunned the first time I used it on my living room carpet (horrified is more like it).  Mine came with a separate little attachment for upholstery and it does a great job of getting the cat hair off the sofa.  I've had mine about 2 years---no problems, knock wood. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread! My hoover vacuum is about 12, or 13 yrs old, still works good, but not bag-less, & heavy!! (compared to vacuums now).

So, I have been wanting a new one as well, but don't have a big budget either. When I did look around, I also thought the Shark looked the best choice.

It's good to hear every ones feed back! :)

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shark Navigator Liftaway is what I have and I like it. Libby I've heard of people spending as little as $155 but you've got them beat :) The HEPA filters can be washed as well as the sponge filter that rests on top of it, although I wouldn't mind buying another 1 of each

The successor model is named the Navigator Liftaround. I haven't tried it so I can't comment other than to state 1 obvious difference: It has a shoulder strap, among other changes.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I decided on the Shark Navigator Lift Away.

Just a note to whoever's planning on buying a vacuum.. do research. I found some places offer free steamer with purchase (Shark's site, I have no use for it).. another offers extra tools with purchase (QVC- the pet tools would be nice) for an additional $10 or so..

I decided to just buy from Walmart.com without the extras.. just in case if I hate it, I can return it at the store without the hassles of calling or shipping back. should be here in a week.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually read that a lot of folks don't care for the Shark steamer; I can't comment on it since I don't one.

The only thing I wish my Shark Nav. had come with was those rigid tubes you put onto the end of the hose to extend your reach.  I'm sure they have  name, but it's early and I can't think of what to call them.

I did get a great deal on mine; I watched sales flyers for weeks just waiting for a good price.

Draco, I hope you love the one you've chosen!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Hoover bagless - what a horrible experience!!!  I swear it clogged up so bad, we only used it several times..it was just not what I needed.

My dyson (the for pets version) - I adore :)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I wish my Shark Nav. had come with was those rigid tubes you put onto the end of the hose to extend your reach.  I'm sure they have  name, but it's early and I can't think of what to call them.
They're called wands.  I used to work with Filter Queen (another exceptional vacuum and the first to introduce cyclonic action).

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Hoover bagless - what a horrible experience!!!  I swear it clogged up so bad, we only used it several times..it was just not what I needed.

My dyson (the for pets version) - I adore :)
I used to have a Phantom Fury bagless.  It was ok, but it was made very cheaply.  the cannister cracked and Phantom refused to cover it under warranty claiming that it was my fault even though it was in a spot that by design, didn't come into contact with anything so it couldn't have been banged on anything.  And the hose was really flimsy and developed tears several tears in the "rubber" near where it connected to the metal wands.  By the time I got my Dyson that Fury was being held together by duct tape (on the cannister and about 1/2 of the hose).

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an ancient Hoover that I also want to replace. It weighs a ton and I just hate dragging it out.     I'll check out the Shark - have a bunch of 20% coupons at Bed, Bath and Beyond.    Dyson is supposed to be good but just too expensive for my taste.  

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dyson is supposed to be good but just too expensive for my taste.  
Dyson is great, and yes! Very expensive. I wanted one for a long time but could never afford it. I would not own one today had it not been for the fact that I had enough airmiles to get one.  I don't know how the service is in the USA for Dyson, but in Canada, there are only 2 places in all of Canada that are licensed and authorized to do service in Canada.  Local vacuum shops can take them apart and clean them, but they cannot order parts for the vacuums because Dyson won't ship them to them.  Recently I thought the belt on the vacuum went. Turns out there are 2 belts; one can be replaced easily, the other cannot be replaced at all and you need to replace a whole component of the vacuum itself.  Shipping to Calgary, AB to have the belt replaced would have cost about $135 I think was the quote. Insane!  For that reason I'm a bit put off of Dyson.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've actually read that a lot of folks don't care for the Shark steamer; I can't comment on it since I don't one.

I did get a great deal on mine; I watched sales flyers for weeks just waiting for a good price.

Draco, I hope you love the one you've chosen!
I have a Shark steamer and I am one of those that doesn't care for it.  It doesn't produce enough steam with enough pressure to clean anything.  Mine's been sitting in the closet for well over a year.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I got my Shark in today. Very easy to assemble! a little smaller at the base than I expected, but it's fine as I am in a small apartment (for someone with a big house.. nope).

I didn't vacuum for 2 days, I wanted to see how good it was with chunks of fur on my carpet.

this is the result. One 12x12 area rug pulled up this much fur and dust! Past the max fill line too! I don't think my other vac pulled this much in a week's worth of work!

I am pleased with how it worked on my hard floors. I tested it on the bathroom where my own hair mixed with cat fur and litter shoved in the corners. Picked it up without any kickback. I like how the vacuum lets me manually change it to hard and carpet with a button.

Lets hope this lasts me for years!!

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good!  That powdery white stuff in your vacuum is cat dander and skin.  When I first got my Dyson I had a couch, love seat and an area rug. I had vacuumed using my old vacuum, a Phantom Fury bagless, and then the Dyson.  I must have had nearly 1 inch of that powdery white stuff in the Dyson.

If your vacuum is pulling that much dander out of your carpet/furniture, you should notice an improvement if you have an allergies.  I was always sneezing and feeling stuffed up.  Since I got my Dyson, the only time I feel that way at home now is when I haven't vacuumed in a couple of weeks. As soon as I vacuum, my allergies settle down.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have allergies, but I do get sinus infection.

Nice to know it's pulling dander and skin! lol