Any tricks to tick treatment/control on feral who won't be touched?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PeteyOchiFern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PeteyOchiFern PeteyOchiFern -- I know there are chemicals that can be applied to the yard that eliminate fleas. You might want to see if there is a yard toping that will eliminate both ticks and fleas. Good luck!
I was just thinking that, and i will be doing something this spring for my yard. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by acres of woods...and I know at the very least BigBoy goes and explores there...so...I'm sure that is where most of the problem lies. But regardless, even if I do my yard, which is about 1 acre of grass, it would help. Thank you!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on treating them. Don't forget about fleas They might need advantage or revolution. Maybe your vet has something to treat them both for fleas and ticks
The new formula of revolution (revolution plus) protects against fleas, ticks, and several types of worms, including heartworm. That would probably be your best bet.

I have read great things about food-grade diatomaceous earth.
DE is good for killing external parasites on animals but you have to rub it into their fur, or dust them with a large amount so it covers them, all while making sure it doesn't get in their eyes. It's great if they like to be touched but not so much if they don't.

Of course, it can also be used to treat a room inside a house, just scatter it around the room. Must safer than a bug bomb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PeteyOchiFern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I give my indoor cats. I just wish it wasn't sooo expensive! Holy cow! But I will get something similar to that for my ferals. At least for fleas and ticks. I have been able to really pet BigBoy and he loves it! I know now I can get the stuff on him. Fluffy is slowly getting closer but she has a long way to go. Thanks for the input!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
DE on fur has a high risk of skin irritation. It can also create microabrasions, causing the skin to be more more susceptible to infection.

It’s generally okay to sprinkle it on the ground, but that can get expensive in large areas. You also have to reapply it if it rains.

We use it in the house in the doorway of the bedroom(s) we keep new cats/dogs in or ferals for TNR and recovery, to prevent fleas from making it into the rest of the house. Seems to work very well for that!