Any "tricks" to alleviate sore muscle pain?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went through physical therapy for some long standing back issues that resurfaced and was shown some really good exercises and stretches, but boy they can leave me sore since I am doing things I normally don't do. I know of hot and cold showers that is supposed to flush out lactic acid, and also to keep moving, rest but keep your body moving so it doesn't tighten up, but do you know of any other ideas that help alleviate sore muscle pain? I also take Arnica Montana and fish oil and some other supplements that help somewhat, but any ideas would be appreciated and thanks! I also roll on a foam roller.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love Biofreeze. When I fell and fractured my humerus it was the only thing that got me through it all as I cannot take any kind of pain killer at all due to reflux. It was even recommended to me by the orthepedic surgeon I go to who also is the doctor for the St Louis Cardinals and the St Louis Blues.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Biofreeze does work well :) The only downside is the very strong minty-like smell on the gel and cream products. Not sure about the spray. The patch may not have much of a scent.

I find that a warm "rice sock" helps with my back issue. It's one of my brother's old tube socks with about a cup of uncooked rice inside. I microwave it until warm and place it on the sore spot. Yoga stretches helps, particularly the cow / cat move.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rolling something over the muscles. I have various balls for my feet. DH has a dedicated roller with handles he uses on his calves. That was recommended by his Chiropractor I think. Possibly the pt he saw for a bit.

This is similar to DH’s:Yansyi Muscle Roller Stick for Athletes - Body Massage Roller Stick - Release Myofascial Trigger Points Reduce Muscle Soreness Tightness Leg Cramps & Back Pain for Physical Therapy & Recovery (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T29CWVQ/?tag=thecatsite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great replies! I had gone to a physical therapist months ago for lower left side back/hip pain and while he helped me he didn't get me back all the way, so I hooked up with another one very close to me for a second opinion, and he really helped that pain showing me other exercises to do, but now I have developed pain to the right of the spine in the middle and upper back, I had this issue several times over the years but I think doing the crunches with my hands clasped behind my head really strained that area as well as some of the other exercises and also the angle that I am driving this work van as well as being propped up a bit in our Sleep Number bed because of snoring and bad posture while using the computer! I told him about it last week and he had me lay down on the table and put my face through the hole like when you get a massage, told me several times to take a deep breath and gave me the most forceful upper thoracic adjustment that I have ever had in my life, I've had that done a few times but not this hard. He also pressed on the muscles and trigger points with me laying there and it hurt like hell. I told him about it but he assures me that he didn't hurt anything, that it is muscle strain and pain that I am feeling and it could take awhile to go away. I know it is rare to get issues with the mid and upper back, I had a ruptured L5-S1 years ago but he assures me that it is muscle strain, most likely from doing the crunches, and it will be okay. I asked a massage therapist about it and she said if there was a problem from it I would have numbness and tingling and loss of range of motion and I don't have that, but she also made a face and said "I don't know why they have to be so forceful". Ugh.....

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a condition which means I have constant muscle and joint pain, and can highly recommend bath salts as someone else suggested! I have a pair of heatable slippers which help my feet too if you have any problems there. If not I'd also recommend the traditional pillows. Maybe if it gets worse, ask your doctor if you can be prescribed some duloxetine, as this is my life saver! Good luck :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is rare to get issues with the mid and upper back
Mid and upper back pain is actually very common, especially due to computer work and postural imbalances. Sometimes if the muscles stay strained long enough and the muscles weaken, you can develop rib subluxations that can cause pretty sharp back and chest pain too.
I would recommend doing an exercise called a wall angel. It will help get the mid and upper back muscles working properly again while also stretching out the tight and shortened chest and arm muscles to improve posture. They also help with the forward head posture, to take the pressure off the base of the scull that will lead to headaches.

When doing any exercises, you want to make sure you are well hydrated before and after, this will help with some of the post exercises stiffness

Taking a magnesium supplement can help with tight muscles, as well as epsom salt baths (they are primarily magnesium, which is why they work as you soak)

hope this helps!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heres a good site..I use a few of these as I carry a few injuries from my racing days and get very tight muscles if not constantly on the go and active.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Mid and upper back pain is actually very common, especially due to computer work and postural imbalances. Sometimes if the muscles stay strained long enough and the muscles weaken, you can develop rib subluxations that can cause pretty sharp back and chest pain too.
I would recommend doing an exercise called a wall angel. It will help get the mid and upper back muscles working properly again while also stretching out the tight and shortened chest and arm muscles to improve posture. They also help with the forward head posture, to take the pressure off the base of the scull that will lead to headaches.

When doing any exercises, you want to make sure you are well hydrated before and after, this will help with some of the post exercises stiffness

Taking a magnesium supplement can help with tight muscles, as well as epsom salt baths (they are primarily magnesium, which is why they work as you soak)

hope this helps!
I meant that serious issues in the mid to upper spine are pretty rare, meaning most of the time it is muscles and ligament issues, I should've been more specific!

I just saw a video earlier today of the "wall Angel", I will give that a try!

Thanks!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise

hope this helps!
I just started a conversation with you about all this, you can click the little "letter" to the right of your name up top next to the "bell". I explained things more in depth but also that I did the "Wall Angel" last night and it really helped!! :clapcat: :clap2:

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drink more water (always a good idea in general), keep moving around, ice packs, heating pad, stretching, light massage.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Drink more water (always a good idea in general)
You are right and I haven't been drinking enough and realized that the other day, but I purposely wasn't because I am now driving for my job and I don't want to get into a position where I pee my pants lol! I used to drink a lot more with my old shipping job since I was near a bathroom all the time, but it is more challenging being on the road...but I am making sure that I do drink more each day especially when I am home or near the end of the work day!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH’s chiropractor has him doing the wall angle stretches. He is tall and slender with most of his height in his torso. He kind of has to hunch just doing dishes. He works on the go and was having some pain. The posture exercises have helped his legs (Hes worn good shoes and insoles for years. He was a runner. That’s important too.) but he started having pain around his ribs too when he started that stretching exercise. From what I get secondhand from his chiropractor appointments; bad posture can cause a lot more issues than you’d think!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great replies! I had gone to a physical therapist months ago for lower left side back/hip pain and while he helped me he didn't get me back all the way, so I hooked up with another one very close to me for a second opinion, and he really helped that pain showing me other exercises to do, but now I have developed pain to the right of the spine in the middle and upper back, I had this issue several times over the years but I think doing the crunches with my hands clasped behind my head really strained that area as well as some of the other exercises and also the angle that I am driving this work van as well as being propped up a bit in our Sleep Number bed because of snoring and bad posture while using the computer! I told him about it last week and he had me lay down on the table and put my face through the hole like when you get a massage, told me several times to take a deep breath and gave me the most forceful upper thoracic adjustment that I have ever had in my life, I've had that done a few times but not this hard. He also pressed on the muscles and trigger points with me laying there and it hurt like hell. I told him about it but he assures me that he didn't hurt anything, that it is muscle strain and pain that I am feeling and it could take awhile to go away. I know it is rare to get issues with the mid and upper back, I had a ruptured L5-S1 years ago but he assures me that it is muscle strain, most likely from doing the crunches, and it will be okay. I asked a massage therapist about it and she said if there was a problem from it I would have numbness and tingling and loss of range of motion and I don't have that, but she also made a face and said "I don't know why they have to be so forceful". Ugh.....
My pain was also on my left side hip. I still cannot bend to the side but it is much better. Physical therapy helped but what really did was my mark Lauren workouts. I can now lay on my back and lift my leg strait up and to the side. Balance is better,legs and core stronger. I think having my lower body stronger helped a lot. If you want I can post one of his workouts. You will also find him on fb and youtube. I can now get all the way down on the floor,hands touching the floor and stand strait back up!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have horrible pain upper,mid,and lower back. All gone now. I work retail so lots of bending,squatting,reaching. Instead of reaching to the side,walk around. Try not to bend your back