Any tricks restraining a VERY strong and aggressive cat for eyedrops and shots.

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is not a feral but i thought i post here since he behaves like one when it comes time for eyedrops and injections.

He's come up with some eye infection which the vet prescribed an antibiotic injection and eyedrops for. I know how to administer them but its almost impossible to get him to get him to hold still. Tried every trick and advice on the www... wrap him in a towel, jumper sleeve, two people, nicely, rewarding...etc. but nothing is working. Our hands look like they've been in a blender. He will fight you to death before you could get a drop in his eye or give him a shot.

Wraping him up in a blanket does not work because be becomes a bundle of boneless muscle...wriggling, scraching and bitting his way out. Holding him by the scruff serves nothing but to anger him since we took him in when he could barely open his eyes. He had no mother to pick him up by the scruff so it doesnt immobilze him like it does to other cats. On the contrary, he flexes and turns and directs all his four legs (claws extended} and his teeth for your hand as soon as you hold him by the scruff.

Honestly we are just giving up right now and we dont know what to do. His eye is getting worst but we just feel like there is nothig we can do. Nearest vet is a lomg way from here and we cant take him there everyday 3 times a day. We cant have him stay there till he is donebwith his course either. No animal rescue/shelter around here as well.
We thought about sedating him but that wont be feasible since we would have to sedate him 3 times a day.

So our only hope is if we could find any "tricks" that would immobilize him just for 30 seconds. I am willing to even build a device that would do to job provided i get the instructions or just a general idea of how to make one. Basically, we are just looking for a MacGyver way around this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a whole bunch in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet tech works at a vets office and often for extra money they will make house calls.  When I brought a feral/stray into my home, he needed a 21 day course of antibiotics.  I could not handle him and had no idea how I would get the medicine down him.  We tried mixing it in food first, but after 3 different selections, he refused them all.  A pill was next and I could not pill him.  My next step was to hire a vet tech.  They would come for $5-10 per time and give the meds.  I ended up not having to use them as we stumbled onto pill pockets and they worked.

You might call the vets office.  They should be able to help you find a solution that works.  Have you checked youtube for videos on how to give eye medicine?  I would plead with my vet for help. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think what the Americans call a vet tech is what we call a veterinary nurse in the uk. Don't know what country you're in, but does that term ring a bell?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way I can give Artie (my squirmy cat) any medications is this: I put the medication on the table next to my recliner/upholstered chair. I take Artie, sit in the chair, not all the way back;  put him kind of behind me on the left side. He is up against the arm of the chair on one side, the back of the chair, and my body in front. 

I put my left hand on his head, open his mouth, while restraint him with my body, and pop the meds in.

I am sure this could work for eye drops also..

Good luck! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the inputs guys. im on my own on this one. No vet tech/nurse.

Artiemom, i dont think that will work. As long as his teeth and nails can get in contact with us, its not going to work out. I need a way to restrain/immobilize him, keeping his teeth and nails away from us.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My outdoor feral had a serious eye infection a few years ago, and I was unable to trap him to get him to a vet. I was able to give him oral antibiotics in his food--tuna fish works amazingly well. Most eye infections can clear up with oral antibiotics even if you can't administer eye drops. I'd advise you call your vet and explain that you're unable to give him the eye drops and see what s/he recommends. Liquid Orbax is a broad spectrum antibiotic that's tasteless and scentless, so if your cat won't consume the Amoxicillin or another oral antibiotics because of the bitter taste, even if mixed with tuna, then ask the vet about Orbax. It's pricey, though--about 30 dollars a bottle. I wouldn't give up on getting medicine in the cat, though, because of the risk of him losing his vision. I just don't think the medicine has to be in the form of eye drops.  

Last edited:

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know you said scruffing didn't work but there is a version of it that just might work with him if you have two people.  When you can catch the cat in a sitting or lying position with four paws on the ground...walk up and scruff him and push down at the same time.  He may try to fight for a few seconds but usually they relax after realizing it is useless to struggle.  Keep pushing down with firm pressure while the other person administers the eye drops.  Use two hands to control him if you need to but one hand often works.  This way he cannot rotate around and scratch or bite you.  This is a trick we use in a grooming shop when we have to shave poopy butts and other distasteful things to cats.

Good luck!