Any Tips on How to Get a Cat to Use Litter Box?

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
I have a roughly seven year old cat who has been diagnosed with a skin infection around her bottom and a probable urinary tract infection. However, before the vet can start her on antibiotics for both of the problems, they need to test for a UTI, using a urine sample. They gave me a special litter that won't absorb the urine so it can be collected, but Chloe refuses to use the litter box. It's a very small amount of litter, (not even enough to cover the bottom of the box), so that might be the reason, or just the fact that it is a new texture. Whatever the reason, It would be very nice to get the sample before 2:30 today, as the vet's office closes for the weekend at 3:00, (30 minute drive to the office), and it needs to be less than 12 hours old, so the next opportunity to collect the sample would be very late Sunday evening, or Monday morning. I put the special liter in a different than usual litter box this morning, so that's another possible cause for her reluctance. Additionally, throughout the day, I've been giving her a little bit of wet food with water mixed in, so hopefully she's forced to use the box. Is there anything else I can do to make her use the litter box? Thank you!
Note: I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure whether I should post it here or in the health forum. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This doesn't help in your timeline, but I am curious as to why the vet doesn't just draw urine from your cat's bladder in order to test it (called cystocentesis, done with a needle aspiration, doesn't normally require sedation, and is painless). It is usually the most effective, and sterile, way to get urine.

You could also go to a local pet store and buy more of the non-absorbent litter to add to a litter box. Many of them carry it. If you do so, then every hour or so, place her in the litter box and perhaps she will go one of those times.

It would seem to me that you are running out of time. If you can take her to the vet, call them and ask about cystocentesis - before they close. In some cases, vet techs can draw the urine themselves without the involvement of a vet or an appt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said that they'd prefer to do that only as a last resort. Chloe had to have her bottom shaved due to the skin infection, and she did NOT put up with that: the tech needed feral gloves, so the vet knew she would not like to have the cystocentesis done. Plus, Chloe is unfortunately overweight, meaning the vet couldn't palpate to see whether or not her bladder was even full, so there'd be no guarantee that they'd even get anything through the procedure. So, overall, she's not the most ideal candidate for the procedure. I'll check my local pet stores for the non-absorbent litter, though. Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there's a skin infection in the surrounding area that may be why it's a last resort at this time. A needle can always introduce infection accidently. At least that's how a doctor explained it to me re-draining my knee and why that was a last resort.

Any luck overnight?

I have done a 100% empty litter instead and had that work.

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't clarify. She only sometimes has the absorbent litter, because I am not always available to drive the sample to the vet, but between those times, she has her normal litter, which she has peed in daily.

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For anyone that's wondering, Chloe finally peed in a sampleable place yesterday, and the results came back today: crystals and a UTI, but it's not that bad because there's no blood in her urine. She'll go onto a special diet soon for the crystals, and because she should also lose weight, the food will help with that, too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know! And let us know how she's doing. Once you post about an issue here, your cat becomes, in some small way, our cat, as well, and we fret.