Any tips on getting a blind cat to use a cat flap?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

We have two cats - one is a blind 7-year-old who is somewhat nervous, and a playful two-year-old (who dominates the blind one a bit). The younger cat has started using the cat flap, after a bit of coaxing. But the blind one (who probably doesn't like the scent of her annoying feline housemate on the catflap!) seems reluctant to use it. Any suggestions? Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it will just take time. She may not want to leave the comfort and safety of her house. She feels safe where she is. Make sure you push her gently into the door once in a while so she knows it moves and open the flap with your hand when she is near so she can smell different smells out there.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a good idea to let a blind cat outside. It's too easy for them to panic and be unable to find their way back inside (due to the panic)

When my Ebony went blind, she used the smell of Tigger to find her way outside, then found a few interesting smells, I didn't know she was outside until I saw her completely freaking out at the end of the garden, I had to go outside to catch her and bring her back inside.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you build a small enclosure outside, with a walkway to it from the catflap? Does she like catnip? If so you could use that in a trail to lead her, but you'll need to be patient until she finds out she can push the flap open. It'll be confusing for her on the days where you lock it and don't let her out, though.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the cat flap for a litter box? Many cats won't take to that at all.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all

We have two cats - one is a blind 7-year-old who is somewhat nervous, and a playful two-year-old (who dominates the blind one a bit). The younger cat has started using the cat flap, after a bit of coaxing. But the blind one (who probably doesn't like the scent of her annoying feline housemate on the catflap!) seems reluctant to use it. Any suggestions? Thanks
I personally would not recommend letting your blind cat roam the outdoors alone without human supervision. I'm seeing a disaster waiting to happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add, the cat flap is on a door that backs on to a closed conservatory (so she can't get out of the house). She likes it there, but it is unheated so very human-unfriendly in the winter! That's why we want to keep the door closed!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
No idea as to price but there are automated doors that open only for your cat, using either microchips or collars.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or maybe set up a heater in there so you can leave the door cracked open so she can fit through? It sounds like it might be on the too cold-ish side of things for her ...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thought of a fix for the cat door. Can you remove the flap and replace it with cloth - cut in the center to open like curtains when the cat nudges them? That will be easier for her to open and won't make the slapping sound that the plastic flap does. That slapping sound could be interpreted as 'bad cat." Just saying.

Either way, practice by sitting on the other side of the door holding the cat's favorite smelliest treat. Start doing this with the flap removed totally.

Be careful using space/ floor standing heaters you aren't watching while they are on. They have a bad reputation for burning people and animals when they touch the grill, and melting things left too close to them, and catching on fire.