Any tips for next steps on leash walking training?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the outdoors and will happily run off for hours if given the slightest chance. He doesn't especially mind having the leash put on him. He doesn't seem to especially mind being outside on the leash, although he may take a few minutes to start moving, which is significant given how comforable he is outside unleashed. But he very much does not like being tugged on, will make a protest noise, and if he moves at all, it will just be a little bit. When you stop tugging, he may just lay down and chill. I tried treats, but he doesn't seem totally comfortable outside on the leash, and won't come for the treats.

So I don't know how to progress. Sitting by him on the steps is fine and all, but the one time I ignored him to read on my phone, he managed to get the harness off. Nor can I let him walk me, since he heads for the bushes like every time. So its not especially relaxing as is, and I feel I need some kind of strategy. Is there one, or is it a keep trying kind of thing?

The wife and I wanted to go for a walk last night. He had escaped an hour earlier. He saw us walking and came with us. We had to turn around and go home since it seems like he might go furter than the busy street if following. So he likes being with us and exploring -- it seems there should be a way to get him there with the leash.

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a thought, what about an enclosed buggy as an option for some days?

This is from the Cat Site article, if you haven't seen it;
Once you get to the leash holding phase, while still safely indoors, take a step forward in front of your cat, and hold out a treat at eye level. As your cat sniffs and walks over, say out loud “Let’s walk”. Give her or him the prize and repeat, taking another step forward, holding out another treat (keep a stock in your pocket for this exercise) and again repeat the words “Let’s walk” and provide the treat as your Kitty takes those steps following you. Repeat this several times until your cat becomes used to following you. Johnson-Bennett then recommends introducing very gentle tugs to the procedure, and practicing indoors for several weeks.

Only when your cat is completely comfortable with walking on a harness and leash, you may attempt those first outdoors strolls. Keep walking routine close to home and in familiar surroundings. Your backyard is probably the best suited place for it. Make sure there are no unexpected dogs or foreign cats en route. Follow your cat as she or he explores the area, but stay alert. If you notice a potential problem or disturbance, calmly pick up the cat in your arms and walk back home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Treat walking inside is a good idea. We did some treating initially to get him used to the harness but need to do more, *inside* vs outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given up. Practicing in the house was a good suggestion and did help. However, he is too skittish without the ability to run freely and can back right out of the harness. Today a large bird took off 40 feet away and that startled him. And then a car came within 20 feet slowly (we were not on or that near the road) and he backed right out of the harness. I'm glad he is scared of cars, but it just doesn't seem workable to walk with him like this. I understand there is a way to improve on the harness alone, but I think the ability to dart into the bushes is too important to him. Although he did jog "with me" when he was an indoor/outdoor cat, using the phrase "with me" loosely, he would often bound from house to house via the bushes and not always be by my feet. It seems that just doesn't translate to any advantage for harness walking.

Its funny. You go a while thinkin "well if cats were meant to walk on a leash, you would see a lot of that" so you don't try, and then you go hiking on a multi mile trail and see an unleashed cat riding on someone's shoulder (saw that a month or two ago). I think what we have to realize is that some people have trained a squirrel to water ski. Its possible -- but that doesn't mean you are going to do it.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have a breed that is good on leash.

Orientals can do it. So can a couple breeds of medium to medium-large wild cat like Servals (also Savannas which are bred from them) and Pumas, though even with these kinds that are leashable better a harness than a collar. Ragdolls are so chill I imagine they can do it too though I have no experience trying.

(I'm not really suggesting you go out and buy a mountain lion just to have a cat that's good on a leash though.)

One thing that springs to mind about trying to walk cats is that some of them experience severe collar anxiety (they do NOT like to have their neck pulled at all) or the apparatus is too tight and triggers their tonic immobility.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its really hard for a cat to understand why sometimes it can go outside without a leash and other times it needs one. My rule s you don't go outside without the leash. I also have a 20 foot lead that lets Phoenix wander in the backyard. This helped him understand his boundaries. Also once a cat figures out it can back out of a harness it will always try that. When we were in our intense training Phoenix got picked up every time he was close to figuring out. Try a different looking harness to make the cat think it can't get out. I've yet to find an actual escape proof harness, but the ones that claim to be are a good place to start.