Any tips for fasting a cat?

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gracie's going for her first dental cleaning a couple of weeks, and the receptionist at the vet's office said she needs to fast from 8pm the night before. Drop-off time at the clinic is 8:30am.

First, does fasting her for 12+ hours seem like an unusually long time?

Some background: she's seven and in good health. She's already had her pre-cleaning blood work done, and it's all fine. The vet said she's got a fair bit of tartar on her back teeth that should be removed.

Second, does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage what I already know will be LOTS and LOTS of yowling from about 10pm onwards? Gracie normally gets a 10pm serving of overnight kibbles (right before I go to bed), and starts whining for it by 9:30pm... ceasing only once the kibbles are in the bowl. I am already anxious over what she'll do when she DOESN'T get those kibbles... and then keeps on gettin' nothing for another 10 hours thereafter.

I was planning on giving her a BIG serving of kibbles at 8pm, hoping that it might fill her up and tide her over... but I have no idea whether it'll work.

I'll be touching base with the vet next week to go over things (e.g., will there be X-rays? post-cleaning antibiotics, if needed? etc.), so I'm going to confirm the 8pm cutoff when I call and see if I could push it to 10pm. Gracie doesn't whine for food in the morning, so if she can get her 10pm kibbles, there will be no yowling at all.

Anyway...

In the meantime, I'm hoping for any tips from fellow cat parents who have had to fast their cats -- how do I make it as stress-free as possible for both of us?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :-)

p.s. I did have to fast her once before prior to an ultrasound, but that time the eating cutoff was midnight with an 9am drop-off, so it wasn't much of an issue. I fed her at 11:45pm and she was A-OK with not eating the next morning.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re just being cautious so there’s less chance of her regurgitating while under anesthesia. What you’re thinking should help, and something I’ve done in the past is to OVERFEED a couple of days before hand so they’re stuffed lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks S Sajast -- I was also considering gradually shifting her 10pm kibbles earlier a little each day for the next two weeks, so that her "regular" overnight feeding time gets closer to 8pm.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the fasting is from 8 or 10pm on..... depending on the appointment time...
I dread it...

Usually I stay up as late as I can; and feed as late as possible.. even bringing the food over the my kitty....

It is really a tuff thing to do.... I am also up early because my kitty is crying for food... I have to be a BAD MAMA... but it is for his own good....

I wish you luck... (((hugs)))

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks artiemom artiemom . I'm liking S Sajast 's idea about giving Gracie a lot more food than usual in the day or two preceding the fasting, so she's too full to yowl! LOL.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can ask if 10 p.m. would be alright? For my cat's dental they said midnight the night before (and they said it was okay if she had a couple tiny treats in the morning to convince her to go into the carrier).

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks suzeanna suzeanna -- I will! Fingers (and paws) are crossed that they say 10pm is OK. Even 9pm would buy me a little of extra (quiet) time.