Any Suggestions To Help A Kansas Kitty in Desperate Circumstances?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help:. Wichita Shelter has a very desperate case - a very lovely but pitifully ill Himalayan has been surrendered. This FB post has the details:

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Man, I typed you up a big long post of tips.

Right before I hit submit, I looked at the comments on the Facebook page, and they updated in the comments to let everyone know this kitty passed 😭

Thank you for trying 🖤

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, too bad. But from the looks of him, it was probably for the best so he didn't suffer any longer. 😢

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, too bad. But from the looks of him, it was probably for the best so he didn't suffer any longer. 😢
It looks like a rescue was already coming to pull, and a lot of people pledged donation, so maybe not the best :/

It seems like the shelter is underfunded and couldn’t afford the critical veterinary care he needed that may have kept him alive until the rescue could get him.

They couldn’t even provide the most basic care of fluids and antibiotics (or even wet food??).

Most rescues, many shelters, and even most veteran fosters have these things on hand for exactly this reason. When you can’t get the animal to a vet right away, starting fluids and a broad spectrum antibiotic are relatively low risk and often life saving things that can be done until you can get them to the clinic.

This cat was found dead in his kennel literally when the rescue got there to pull him and take him to the vet. It’s very possible that basic care could have helped him make it until then. It’s just so sad.

No-kill rescues do amazing things, but this is why I always encourage people to donate to their local shelter instead.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a rescue was already coming to pull, and a lot of people pledged donation, so maybe not the best :/

It seems like the shelter is underfunded and couldn’t afford the critical veterinary care he needed that may have kept him alive until the rescue could get him.

They couldn’t even provide the most basic care of fluids and antibiotics (or even wet food??).

Most rescues, many shelters, and even most veteran fosters have these things on hand for exactly this reason. When you can’t get the animal to a vet right away, starting fluids and a broad spectrum antibiotic are relatively low risk and often life saving things that can be done until you can get them to the clinic.

This cat was found dead in his kennel literally when the rescue got there to pull him and take him to the vet. It’s very possible that basic care could have helped him make it until then. It’s just so sad.

No-kill rescues do amazing things, but this is why I always encourage people to donate to their local shelter instead.
I was just judging by the picture. Didn't read the details. Very surprising details about the shelter not having basic needs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Baby, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on more hearts than ever you knew existed. Your little life mattered, and you are mourned!