Any suggestions on moving with a kitty - particularly pertaining to getting them to use the litter box?

Jojothepogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My husband and I are moving and we have a cat who cannot pee in the box (more explanation on what I mean below). One of the factors in choosing the new house was noooo carpet. Also, we have to replace the carpet in the house we are selling because of her. She doesn't pee on the hard floors in our current house (only the carpeted areas), but were concerned that since the new house doesn't have any carpet that she'll start peeing on the hardwood floors in the new house. We know moving is stressful for kitties, but we are hopeful that the move could maybe hit the restart button on her behavior. Maybe the new house with more room will allow her to be less anxious and more likely to go pee in the box. Maybe the problem was carpet in general?? Any suggestions on moving with a kitty - particularly pertaining to getting them to use the litter box.

Kitty is 13. She's healthy (no urinary tract infections). The vet believes this is behavioral. Since we got her 3 years ago, she has had issues peeing "in" the box. She'll pee around it- but rarely in it. She'll pee right in front of it without entering the box or she'll stand in the box and pee out the hole or over the rim or she'll walk around the box and pee on the wall next to the box. Sometimes she sprays no-where near the box. We have moved the boxes to her naughty spots and honestly this has made it impossible to have guests over because her naughty spot is in the middle of the guest room. "Welcome to our house. Please ignore the stinky cat box in the middle of the room."

We've tried every variety of cat boxes (lidded, unlidded, round, rectangle, square, high sided, very large, small....) and cat litter (clay, wheat, and silicone - all unscented). We clean the boxes (yes plural) daily. We've tried Comfort Zone / Feliway. Now were hoping that she breaks this habit in the new house.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, just to mention, there are reusable/washable, and disposable pee pads, of all sizes that you might want to utilize under and around the boxes until you're sure she's ok. Something else to have on hand would be the cat (not the dog) variety of Natures Miracle or other enzymatic cleaner, and possibly a black light which will show urine. It will also show old spots etc, so keep that in mind and maybe do a check around her safe room in the new house so you know what's up.

There's a litter called Cat Attract that might help.

She doesn't pee on the hard floors in our current house (only the carpeted areas),
This makes me wonder if the previous owners before you had an animal and weren't super conscientious about cleaning up.

In any case, here are a couple of articles that may help;
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

This one is valid for adult cats as well;
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

IronCladLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would take with you enough used litter to seed all of the boxes. Just something completely oblique. Perhaps a “natural “ litter of clean garden sand mixed with some bagged garden soil. Just enough to add a scent. Try a relatively thin, 1.5 inch or so, in a large box. This is what works for my friends’ pet squirrels. They would have nothing to do with commercial litter. Good luck

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she always pees in the vicinity of the box and you have sufficient space, you can buy a washing machine tray, around 30x 30 inches and maybe 1.5 inches high to set the tray in. They run around $20 and this would at least contain spillover. Using puppy pads would make cleanup easier as well.