Any suggestions of a healthy wet food in gravy?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My picky brat is going to slowly start getting healthy wet food snuck into fancy feast (he prefers gravy lovers or melodies.) So any ideas? I want to avoid chicken and I’m looking for variety. He eats to much tuna and doesn’t really like salmon that much.

I’m looking for LID, low carb, healthy. Since he is half siamese & more prone to allergies I want to reduce or eliminate poultry, especially chicken. I also want to keep his fish intake low. Eventually I want him to get down to 1/10th fish or less. If I’m going to spend 6-18 months transitioning my twerp to a healthy wet food, then I want it to be very healthy. I might even relent and put him on Science Diet. I’m doing this because I want him to live a long healthy life...,, the ungrateful little brat 😉

So over the next 6 months I will be buying samples of different brands & starting to transition him.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything in gravy or sauce isn't going to be low carb. The starches / thickeners makes the carb content high. Maybe take a look at the Catinfo.org chart to see what gravy foods have the lowest carbs (not going to be the ideal 10% or less) and then from there narrow the choices down to the other criteria you have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He hates pate! If I’m going to give him healthier food, the least I can do is give him sauce.

He like my BestFriendsForever pouches if I mince up all the pieces with a fork (he doesn’t like big chunks.) Sometimes I add a 1/2 teaspoon or teaspoon of water to give it a better texture. My only complaint about my B.F.F. Is they put fish in everything.

He prefers fancy feast but still. I’m not looking for the healthiest thing out there but healthy. A tiny amount of starches is less than dry food. All it needs is broth though. Since fancy feast is such junk food, I’m looking for a better option.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you’re already doing so much for him, have you tried blending pate with water into saucy texture? I have a former gravy lover and I managed to cheat him this way. I’d add more hot water though, around 3 teaspoons, or even more if he accepts this.

How about shredded? American Journey Landmark has chicken&turkey. And TikiCat after dark. These have no gums not fillers.

BFF has the fishless line, Play, but it’s mostly chicken if I remember correctly.. although I’m sure they have some mixed varieties like chicken with lamb, chicken with turkey. Examples below:
https://app.chewy.com/0W28nPaFw9
https://app.chewy.com/00Nx8MhFw9

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah won't touch pate either. She hated Science Diet wet.

Fancy Feast has a naturals line, which she will occasionally eat, but right now she's eating Crave cuts.They do have poultry in them though.

If you want an LID in gravy, Koha and Lotus both have. Lotus is hard to find (only 1 store near me has it). Hollywood Feed has the Koha. When we were testing Delilah on allergy, she liked the Lotus Just Juicy Venison and the Koha LID Duck

Fancy Feast - Gourmet Naturals Cat Food
Limited Ingredient Diet Shredded
Lotus Pet Foods

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I apologize, I've been meaning to clarify about my recommendation for Merrick Backcountry, I was thinking of their pouch foods, and Natural Balance has pouch foods as well - with morsels and a fair bit of gravy :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My picky brat is going to slowly start getting healthy wet food snuck into fancy feast (he prefers gravy lovers or melodies.) So any ideas? I want to avoid chicken and I’m looking for variety. He eats to much tuna and doesn’t really like salmon that much.

I’m looking for LID, low carb, healthy. Since he is half siamese & more prone to allergies I want to reduce or eliminate poultry, especially chicken. I also want to keep his fish intake low. Eventually I want him to get down to 1/10th fish or less. If I’m going to spend 6-18 months transitioning my twerp to a healthy wet food, then I want it to be very healthy. I might even relent and put him on Science Diet. I’m doing this because I want him to live a long healthy life...,, the ungrateful little brat 😉

So over the next 6 months I will be buying samples of different brands & starting to transition him.
Best one I have found that is low carb is no longer on chewy but if you do a search you should find it. Its Canidae pure chaparrel canyon with pieces of meat in gravy. It's expensive but I mix some in her other food. I found it on petcare rx. Hope it's still there

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Best one I have found that is low carb is no longer on chewy but if you do a search you should find it. Its Canidae pure chaparrel canyon with pieces of meat in gravy. It's expensive but I mix some in her other food. I found it on petcare rx. Hope it's still there
I searched and no one had it!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you’re already doing so much for him, have you tried blending pate with water into saucy texture? I have a former gravy lover and I managed to cheat him this way. I’d add more hot water though, around 3 teaspoons, or even more if he accepts this.

How about shredded? American Journey Landmark has chicken&turkey. And TikiCat after dark. These have no gums not fillers.

BFF has the fishless line, Play, but it’s mostly chicken if I remember correctly.. although I’m sure they have some mixed varieties like chicken with lamb, chicken with turkey. Examples below:
https://app.chewy.com/0W28nPaFw9
https://app.chewy.com/00Nx8MhFw9
I second all of these ideas -- our cats love the American Journey and Tiki foods, which are very low-carb. Rawz also has shreds that are pretty low-carb, despite having some tapioca. Most foods from those brands are pretty chicken-based (or fish-based) and I have similar concerns about feeding lots of/too much chicken but the canned choices are limited, particularly for low-carb foods. (This is part of why I make homemade food, much of which is pork!)

Patty Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It hurts that you refer to your cat as an ungrateful brat. My cat was a very picky eater and in year 3 of her 5 years with me, I found out why she was so picky. She had metastatic cancer of the stomach❗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AFB974CA-A32A-4967-A389-39D1CC8BCBA2.jpeg
I love him to pieces & he has a clean bill of health.
CE9911DD-39AE-408D-9FD8-FD26749270AF.jpeg
He uses me as furniture. Everyday he nurses on his binkie/blanket draped over my chest & stomach.

D5A59310-47E8-44FB-AE8C-103BD910E174.jpeg
I call him Jackie, Little Dude, Dude, Baby & refer to him in conversation with other people as a Twerp. 9F5006E7-5A74-41E5-81B9-338FA25F7D04.jpeg
It is hard to paint a picture of a relationship from one post. I assure you he is VERY loved! If he wasn’t I wouldn’t put so much energy into what he eats & just feed him dry food. If I didn’t love him, I would never inconvenience myself every weekend so he can spend the night at Nana’s and hang out with his brother! Nor would I currently be waking up at 6 am every morning so I can take him out at sunrise (6:30) so he can get his 2 hours outside before I have to hide inside with the AC (I cant take the heat.) Here is from this weekend with the boys having a catnip silvervine party.

41878E93-4FFE-45BF-B902-3A2C52F47C01.jpeg

All that said, I’m so sorry you lost your cat! Losing a young cat hurts worse. You feel like all those years you planned on being together, were stolen. Sadly no matter how long your cat lives, it is to soon because they leave us behind! The grief forum might help..... they certainly helped me after I lost my beloved Bud, Dante..... who I also called a Bud, punk, my baby-cat & a “wee terrorist of doom!” When he was a kitten/ juvenile picking on my other older adult cat! 🤦🏻‍♀️ When Dante passed it felt like he took a piece of my heart.

A2A6CEF1-4974-4286-A40D-EA3EFE3AB743.jpeg

Attachments