Any suggestions! Adopted kitten missing in home

Trenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I just adopted a 2 month old kitten yesterday! I brought her home and of course she was a bit skiddish and would hide under the couch or in a corner somewhere. I put her in a room that has all of her stuff in it so she could eat, and use the bathroom. I closed all of the doors except the door to her area leaving her access to the kitchen, living room and dining room area. I woke up this morning and she has disappeared, have not seen or heard her which is concerning. I’ve looked everywhere in those rooms and surprisingly there are not many places to go in those areas so I’ve looked in all possible places. She’s only weighs about 2 pounds so I’m worried she’s stuck or not okay but I’m not sure where else to look!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am going to quote part of a TCS article about looking for your kitten in your home - see below. But, you also need to consider if there is a chance she may have escaped from your house as well.

"Go room to room and close the door as you search. You don’t want Kitty to walk out behind you as you look under the bed. If you’re sure you’ve searched thoroughly, close the door when you come out too. That way Kitty can’t go into a room you’ve searched while you’re in the next one.

In bedrooms, check the underside of the mattress. Torn fabric may give away Kitty’s hideaway. The same goes for recliners, chairs and other furniture she could get under and into. Check the closets—cats like dark spaces. Don’t miss the shelves—high places are favorites too.... if a cat’s head can fit in a space, (their) whole body will.

Cats are the silent type when hiding so if Kitty is in seclusion, how would you know if she’s coming out while you’re asleep?... (one) TCS member suggests sprinkling baby powder around any crawl spaces or openings where Kitty could have gone. Telltale paw prints will give away her hiding place.

Check dresser drawers too, especially if they are the kind that roll shut on their own. One cat lover nearly fainted when opening the underwear drawer (second from the top) and an angry furball hurled herself out. Getting in was easier than getting out.

Just in case, put a small dish of food and water in each room. You’ll be able to tell if she’s come out to eat."

Once you find her, keep her in a single room with the door closed for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am going to quote part of a TCS article about looking for your kitten in your home - see below. But, you also need to consider if there is a chance she may have escaped from your house as well.

"Go room to room and close the door as you search. You don’t want Kitty to walk out behind you as you look under the bed. If you’re sure you’ve searched thoroughly, close the door when you come out too. That way Kitty can’t go into a room you’ve searched while you’re in the next one.

In bedrooms, check the underside of the mattress. Torn fabric may give away Kitty’s hideaway. The same goes for recliners, chairs and other furniture she could get under and into. Check the closets—cats like dark spaces. Don’t miss the shelves—high places are favorites too.... if a cat’s head can fit in a space, (their) whole body will.

Cats are the silent type when hiding so if Kitty is in seclusion, how would you know if she’s coming out while you’re asleep?... (one) TCS member suggests sprinkling baby powder around any crawl spaces or openings where Kitty could have gone. Telltale paw prints will give away her hiding place.

Check dresser drawers too, especially if they are the kind that roll shut on their own. One cat lover nearly fainted when opening the underwear drawer (second from the top) and an angry furball hurled herself out. Getting in was easier than getting out.

Just in case, put a small dish of food and water in each room. You’ll be able to tell if she’s come out to eat."

Once you find her, keep her in a single room with the door closed for now.

there’s no way for her to escape, this was last night and I put her in the room before going to bed. So no doors to outside were opened

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
there’s no way for her to escape, this was last night and I put her in the room before going to bed. So no doors to outside were opened
You would be surprised where they can hide. I’ve had many “missing kittens”. One disappeared in the room I was trying to catch her in. She was secretly tucked away on top of a printer and the wall. Lol. Just keep looking.

Trenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow lol, yeah I had left home this morning hoping she would come out but when I came back I came in quietly and she was still no where to be found, I don’t think I have a lot of hiding spots in my home tbh I even looked under the cabinet behind the stove pulled the bottom of the stove out. She just disappeared lol

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow lol, yeah I had left home this morning hoping she would come out but when I came back I came in quietly and she was still no where to be found, I don’t think I have a lot of hiding spots in my home tbh I even looked under the cabinet behind the stove pulled the bottom of the stove out. She just disappeared lol
She didn't disappear, she is somewhere. I just reread your initial post. She is quite young and 2 lbs is very very small and 8 weeks is very young, too young to be taken from momma. I would seriously follow the advice FeebysOwner FeebysOwner posted. If you have openings near drain pipes or anywhere she can get into those and sneak out.

Trenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I’m going to keep looking for her, I got her from the humane society, so I thought she would be okay to bring home! I tried to block places so she wouldn’t go there but I must've not given her enough credit for the places she could crawl or jump

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you noticed any of her food being eaten?

There are a lot of places she could be hiding in a kitchen. Check all the cupboards, upper and lower. Even little kittens can get up to high places. Also check all the drawers. I had one cat who would get into the lower cabinets and climb into the drawers from the back.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know when she reappears.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And do leave small bowls of food and water in every room. She may be quite afraid to move far from where she has hidden. If there are coats in your closets, CHECK THE POCKETS! You'd be amazed at what a determined kitten can accomplish!

Trenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay, thanks for all the tips to help- I feel silly but she was hiding up in our couch where the arm rest is and I was unable to find her until I started playing kittens meowing on YouTube! Lol but she’s safe and sound (:

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is adorable with that fancy collar and looks as if she gave you a good run. Don't feel silly...I had a rescued kitten hide in an opening under a sink and I don't mean a cupboard. It was some tiny little opening left from when the sink was installed and she was lying right next to the underside of the bowl itself.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:crackup: That is just so...cat! I'm tickled to know that she is safe and sound. I know you are relieved. What a little cutie she is!