Any Suggestion How To Change My Cat’s Mind?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought this closed litterbox for my cats in the hopes of transitioning them from open to enclosed litterboxes (Currently they all have open boxes) to minimize too many scattered litters on the floor. From the start they have never used a closed one. I was excited to show it to them but one of my cats just went in. AND SLEPT!

And since then he has assumed it as his new bed. So no other cats have ever used it for its real purpose. Any recommendations?
A03B56AA-E352-4E63-ACE5-82FBD16EB5E9.jpeg
5E7FD761-D817-44D1-9BCB-A91082BE9C32.jpeg

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do they have any other enclosed areas that they can go into?

If this happened to me I would try gettin them a nice little box or hideaway that they could use and also take the other litterbox away as an option. Cats instinctively search for a sand/dirt-like area to deposit their leavings, with no other option available, and with another nice hidey-place as an option they might be more inclined to use the enclosed litter box...

On the other hand it might also lead to them using somewhere unwanted as their litterbox, like a houseplant.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could look on the paws-itive side, and be happy one of them is at least going "in" the new litter box. But, I know, them sleeping in it wasn't the reason you bought it. ;)

Do you have any "igloo-type" cat beds? If not, maybe that could be your first step to getting the litter box not to be used as a bed.

www.amazon.com/s?k=igloo+cat+bed&ref=nb_sb_noss

Amazon.com: igloo cat bed

The litter box comes apart, right? If so, maybe remove the top, so it's a) less inviting as a cozy bed, and b) more like the litter boxes they're used to.

Let us know if anyone starts using it as a litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any "igloo-type" cat beds? If not, maybe that could be your first step to getting the litter box not to be used as a bed.
Yes, thanks! Since Barley started doing this, I assumed he wants an igloo type bed. I will order for him. :)

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I only got my cats to use theirs by removing the door. It still contains the litter and they use it now!
I actually tried removing the cover. He still wouldn't budge. LOL. Yes, could be the door. Let me see if something happens. Thanks :)

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have any other enclosed areas that they can go into?
I am afraid the only enclosed areas my Barley has are the carton boxes which he loves to hide in. I will be ordering for him an igloo-type bed as what Rubysmama here hinted.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, I removed the door and it was a success for Bourbon!

My Barley, on the other hand (the one who slept inside), was too visibly upset at first. He probably could not believe that somebody messed his new bed! LOL!

Thanks all. :)