Any reputable sources for part time home cooked food?

ElocinSWIP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to increase the amount of protein my cats are getting, and I am debating either starting to cook food for them at home OR buying a (quite expensive) canned food. Either way 50 to 75% of their diet will remain what they current get (canned poultry based pates). I would likely mix the homemade food with their current food at meals. I can't do raw (one of my cats is training to be a therapy cat, and that's a big no no). Their current foods are about 35:60:5 protein:fat:carbs, and I'd like to get it closer to 60:40:0, so whatever I feed will likely be much higher protein than would be typically fed- it looks like I need to aim for 85% protein (and near 0 carbs obviously).

I know feeding homemade food is complicated and that it's really important to make sure they get the right combo of vitamins and minerals. This is what makes me nervous! My cats currently get taurine supplements (one of my cats has a neuromuscular disorder and taurine helps with it, and since I'm giving her it I might as well throw some in the other cats food!). I am looking at supplements and vitamins and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Currently their "treats" are chicken, turkey, and eggs- they get some a couple times a week and it probably makes about 10% of their diet. I would imagine these protein sources would form the base of any diet I made for them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably easiest to use a pre-mix such as EZComplete to make a complete balanced home cooked diet. Just add to cooked meat with some water, mix, and serve or freeze in portion sizes. There are other pre-mixes which are listed here: