Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Any Recommendations For Grass For Cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by empirefalls, Dec 27, 2018.

1. empirefalls

empirefalls Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 2, 2004
    Any recommendations for grass brands for cats?

I thought it would be easy but as i searched and read reviews about grass that one's grows for indoor cats to eat,there were some negatives-

I have bought cat grass before, they loved it. no issues. cant recall brand.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018

2. sargon

sargon High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey. Alpha Cat

Sep 22, 2016
    St. Louis Metra Area
    Cat grass is just wheatgrass(or ocasionally oatgrass or, I think either rye or barleygrass, but usually wheatgrass.) You can buy seed and grow it yourself. My brother grew some, and gave it to my cat for Christmas.

empirefalls purraised this.

3. empirefalls

Jun 2, 2004
    ok thanks.

Just ordered one brand with "ORGANIC BLEND OF WHEAT, OATS, RYE, BARLEY AND FLAX"
    See what happens.

4. sargon

sargon High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey. Alpha Cat

Sep 22, 2016
    St. Louis Metra Area
    Haven't heard of flax, interesting. be careful and monitor it. Some cats will eat too much and throw up (my cat is such a cat, sadly.)

5. empirefalls

Jun 2, 2004
    So i grew cat grass made of "ORGANIC BLEND OF WHEAT, OATS, RYE, BARLEY AND FLAX"....this product:

My 17yo male cat with senior citizen cat health issues.
    Gave him 5 minutes with it, then took it away. To be cautious.
    he loved it...started chasing me around....started hunting where i hid it, he found it. demanded more time with it. Gave him another 5 minutes. took it away again. he cased the whole house looking for it for an hour.

That was yesterday, today i did the same thing. I believe he threw up once over night. I can tell, he is thinking about the grass 24 hours a day now.

Any comments? Advice? Experience? He loves eating the grass.
    I thought a cat throwing up after eating grass was nature and helpful---maybe that is not true.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019