Any Recommendation For Cat Car Seat?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those crazy cat ladies who wants to go on a road trip with her kitties.
So far I see two types of car seat/cover.
1. folding individual seat
https://www.amazon.com.au/EVANPO-Ca...&qid=1536706645&sr=1-1&keywords=pet+car+seats
2. seat cover
https://www.amazon.com.au/Winner-Ou...&qid=1536703049&sr=1-9&keywords=pet+car+seats

Ideally, both types have a harness (kitty seat belt) so kitties won't climb on my shoulder/head or block the dashboard/front window. Which one do you think is better for a sedan? I have two cats both aged 5 months. Travel distance is anywhere between an hour to 10 hours (with stopovers). kennels provide protection and seat covers provides openness....

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about this on our way to the vets this past Friday. I wish they could make an affordable one that is safe! I would love a Sleepypod for each of my cats, but we have nine. We often take more than one to the vet at a time and always take all of them in at once when they get their shots. (Each cat must be in its own carrier or the clinic where they get their shots will not take them.) We get a discount if we take them all at once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about this on our way to the vets this past Friday. I wish they could make an affordable one that is safe! I would love a Sleepypod for each of my cats, but we have nine. We often take more than one to the vet at a time and always take all of them in at once when they get their shots. (Each cat must be in its own carrier or the clinic where they get their shots will not take them.) We get a discount if we take them all at once.
I agree - they are a bit pricey, though I'm sure they are well made and have passed the test.
Your vet has a very strict rule.... this is another matter but I've read that your cats shouldn't get annual booster vaccines. Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

Current Veterinary Therapy by veterinary immunologists Ronald Schults and Tom Phillips says "A practice that was started many years ago and that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual revaccination. Almost without exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual revaccination. Immunity to viruses persists for years or for the life of the animal. ... Furthermore, revaccination with most viral vaccines fails to stimulate an anamnestic (secondary) response. ... The practise of annual vaccination in our opinion should be considered of questionable efficacy..."

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - they are a bit pricey, though I'm sure they are well made and have passed the test.
Your vet has a very strict rule.... this is another matter but I've read that your cats shouldn't get annual booster vaccines. Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

Current Veterinary Therapy by veterinary immunologists Ronald Schults and Tom Phillips says "A practice that was started many years ago and that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual revaccination. Almost without exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual revaccination. Immunity to viruses persists for years or for the life of the animal. ... Furthermore, revaccination with most viral vaccines fails to stimulate an anamnestic (secondary) response. ... The practise of annual vaccination in our opinion should be considered of questionable efficacy..."

Technically, it is the clinic's rule, not our actual vet. We have a regular vet and have to travel almost 40 minutes to get to her. When we take all the cats in for their shots, we go to a low-cost clinic that I support and sometimes do fostering for.

The fostering is the main reason we get them their boosters. Also, four years ago before we started fostering again, my cat Tara had somehow ripped one of her claws out completely. I took her to the vet. While there, she bit my hand hard enough to draw a bit of blood. A couple of days later, my hand and forearm were massive and extremely painful. I was also exhausted, running a fever, had a headache, and my body hurt. I landed up in the ER diagnosed with cat scratch fever.

The ER staff followed the law and reported the bite, prompting the Health Department to request her shot record. Tara was behind on her rabies shot by three months. She was taken and quarantined for 10 days. Is it likely that any of my non-aggressive cats will ever bite anyone? Nope. Will I take the chance that they might be put through the trauma of quarantine again? Nope.

Before I could get her back, she had to have a rabies shot, so I arranged to bring the rest of them. (At the time, I only had six cats.) Now, they all go in once a year.