Any quilters?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This fall I bought two vintage (circa 1930-1940) quilt tops.  One is grandma's flower garden and the other is double wedding ring.

The second one is in good shape but I am working on repairing the first one.  Lots more work than I thought.  I was 1st advised to tie the quilt but I'm thinking hand quilting.  Its a small one a lap quilt at best.

If anyone hand quilts and could pass me some advice that would be great!  I'll have to post some pictures too.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom used to get her gal friends together and have an old fashioned quilting bee in her living room.  Someone had a frame and it got done really quick.  It meant a lot  to her having all her friends contribute.  They had many laughs and good food and good times.  She would also make tied ones.

I would love to see pics as it progresses.

S

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I used to quilt, many years ago.

What kind of batting are you using? Cotton or poly?  I was taught that, if using natural fibers, such as cotton batting, you must have your lines of quilting no more than 1/2" apart, as the batting will separate.  However, I think I recently saw cotton batting that advertised than you no longer had to do that.

I was never a fan of tying. And, with a Grandma's flower garden, I wonder why you were told that.  I thought that was usually quilted around the hexagons? And the same for the Wedding ring--such lovely circles should be quilted around, IMHO.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got cotton batting.  There is a good quilt shop in town.   I was surprised to that the first time I went in they suggested tying.  I agree that hand quilting will look much better.  I don't have a quilt frame though I can borrow one I'm going to use a large embroidery hoop.  Going to take some time so I better get started with the repairs!  I bought some feed sacks and cut & sewed for the binding as it would get quite pricy to make the backing out of feedsacks.  I have a twin sized quilt I use as a throw on our bed and that is all hand quilted.